Saints being officiated differently from opponents (1 Viewer)

A single curve doesn't mean much of anything without comparing it to the NFL average.
I think the most telling aspect of a more accurate curve, would be a variance from year to year under Payton. If a curve was put together (combined) indicating the total penalties this year against the Saints, the average amount per year against the Saints , the average amount per year called against all teams combined and the average called against all teams combined this year, you would have a better and more comprehensive curve.

My rant as always, no electricity in the refs locker room, no heat or AC, gas station sandwhiches to eat, book them at the Motel 6, blame it all on mechanical problems.

No one has mentioned our final drive, where the refs blew 2 obvious calls. First there was the helmet to helmet hit on Kamara and then the late shove down 10 yards out of bounds. I guarantee this would've been called on the Saints.

A single curve doesn't mean much of anything without comparing it to the NFL average.

To be honest, I think the officiating has been pathetic all around the league. I don't have any conspiracy theories. I just think that league was not prepared for the retirement of many refs, and more importantly, have not shown any interest in the importance of refereeing for the game.

Mike Pereira left on a power conflict, Dean Blandino left for higher salaries on TV, and Al Riveron is to say at least, incompetent.

To be honest, I think the officiating has been pathetic all around the league. I don't have any conspiracy theories. I just think that league was not prepared for the retirement of many refs, and more importantly, have not shown any interest in the importance of refereeing for the game.

Mike Pereira left on a power conflict, Dean Blandino left for higher salaries on TV, and Al Riveron is to say at least, incompetent.

Inexperienced refs is one theory and it has merit. But I tend to lean a different way. I think the current situation isn't really any different than it's always been. It's just that there's more information and views readily available to the average fan now days.

Not too many years ago, if you wanted to figure out the penalty count for and against a team, you pretty much had to hope one of the announcers mentioned it, or you had to save newspaper clippings of box scores and use a calculator. Now days, with just a few clicks of the mouse, you can put calculate whether or not the numbers add-up, so to speak.

In game, fans have cried foul ever since football (and other sports) first began. But there was no definitive proof that you could point at as well... as proof. You can google and/or youtube any play and watch and rewatch it as many times is you want to now days. Back in the day, you had to hope they showed a replay of the play during the game itself.

Maybe reffing hasn't actually changed? Maybe it's just that today's technology allows all of us to put reffing under the microscope.

Inexperienced refs is one theory and it has merit. But I tend to lean a different way. I think the current situation isn't really any different than it's always been. It's just that there's more information and views readily available to the average fan now days.

Not too many years ago, if you wanted to figure out the penalty count for and against a team, you pretty much had to hope one of the announcers mentioned it, or you had to save newspaper clippings of box scores and use a calculator. Now days, with just a few clicks of the mouse, you can put calculate whether or not the numbers add-up, so to speak.

In game, fans have cried foul ever since football (and other sports) first began. But there was no definitive proof that you could point at as well... as proof. You can google and/or youtube any play and watch and rewatch it as many times is you want to now days. Back in the day, you had to hope they showed a replay of the play during the game itself.

Maybe reffing hasn't actually changed? Maybe it's just that today's technology allows all of us to put reffing under the microscope.

I don't know about trends in the past, but what is obvious is that this season, the officiating has been horribly lopsided against the Saints. That's really all that matters. If the game isn't called fairly, then should we just accept it? I know I won't, which is why I've spoken out about officiating fairly frequently since the uncalled PI. I do believe the officials have an agenda, and part of that is them essentially resenting being held accountable for bad calls with the advent of replays being expanded to PI. They want it to go away, so they're being selective in the calls that get overturned.

No for the gazzilioonth time.

It doens't have to be managed.

It just has to be bias on the part of the human refs who dislike or have a grudge against Payton and the Saints. It influences decisions, consciously or unconsciously but I am sure at times quite consciously.
That is what the nfl wants you to believe.

Last night, I saw a Seahawk DB latched on to a Viking WR like an octopus, while the ball was in the air. No call! The Saints would have been called 10 times out of 10.

It's time for Payton to end the vendetta with the NFL and officials. Both are embarrassed by his predictable push back. If it helps, push back! If not, take it without all the histrionics, and they will stop throwing the flags.

Penalties are the new big issue for the NFL. It's really making the game hard to watch. It isn't just happening during our games, it's all of them. The officials are looking to throw it instead of letting the guys play through some contact and throwing the flag on egregious plays.

If not, take it without all the histrionics, and they will stop throwing the flags.

Can you point to any of his so-called histrionics? Something that approaches Saban-levels, perhaps?

Can you point to any of his so-called histrionics? Something that approaches Saban-levels, perhaps?

I think he demeans the officials, and uses foul language. No one likes to be shown up on national TV, so the officials will fight back. Payton also sends formal complaints to the league office. I think they have all grown weary of it, but neither side will back down.

There is a middle ground where the correct answer to every debate lies.

Except on the internet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom