Saints believed to be looking to sign DE Wes Horton (ex-Panther)[signed] [MERGED] (1 Viewer)

superchuck500

tiny changes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
That's Wes Chandler Horton to be precise (nice fit just for the name). Horton, out of USC (UDFA 2013), was a sub-package DE with Carolina - has rung up 9.5 sacks over the last three years.

There's no reporting or Twitter on this, my source is west-coast and pretty solid.

If he's a fit and the money's right, I don't see why not. He's obviously a situational player thus far in his career. Could be used the same here or possibly compete for a spot in the main rotation.

Gotta love the full name too.

Doing nothing is better than bargain bin shopping. I hate when they do this. It's a waste of about 3 or 4 million. You know you wanted a DE. All signs pointed to wanting a DE. So instead of getting someone that would be a difference maker at about 5 million more. They spend 3 to 4 million on someone that will not contribute at all. It's waste if this comes to fruition. Like TE last year, it was obvious they wanted to upgrade but got shy on the trigger. Saved a couple million for what??? For us not to have a receiving target when we needed one most. Hope history doesn't repeat and we're screaming, if only we had fresh pass rushers in the game right now. Paying for bodies instead of performance. Didnt learn nothing.

Doing nothing is better than bargain bin shopping. I hate when they do this. It's a waste of about 3 or 4 million. You know you wanted a DE. All signs pointed to wanting a DE. So instead of getting someone that would be a difference maker at about 5 million more. They spend 3 to 4 million on someone that will not contribute at all. It's waste if this comes to fruition. Like TE last year, it was obvious they wanted to upgrade but got shy on the trigger. Saved a couple million for what??? For us not to have a receiving target when we needed one most. Hope history doesn't repeat and we're screaming, if only we had fresh pass rushers in the game right now. Paying for bodies instead of performance. Didnt learn nothing.

You have to have contingency - you need the fresh serviceable players, even if you weren’t able to get what you really wanted. I don’t know much about Horton, but his cap hit last year was $1.3M. I think you can presume one year not guaranteed (until week 1).

Maybe we get a better option between now and then but there doesn’t appear to be much risk.

You have to have contingency - you need the fresh serviceable players, even if you weren’t able to get what you really wanted. I don’t know much about Horton, but his cap hit last year was $1.3M. I think you can presume one year not guaranteed (until week 1).

Maybe we get a better option between now and then but there doesn’t appear to be much risk.

Yeah, I came in hot, LOL. I didnt check how much he made last year.

I’d be down with this. We clearly have prioritized getting a pass rusher. We’d likely get him on a minimum deal and could use the spare $ to get someone like McCoy or extend MT.

He is not a pass rusher. He is a run-stuffing defensive end who can kick inside on passing downs. In terms of where he would line up on the field for us, he is most like Cam Jordan and Mario Edwards. Nothing wrong with bringing him in on a cheap deal to compete for a spot. If he doesn't make it, he's someone that would likely be available and familiar with our defense during the season.

He is not a pass rusher. He is a run-stuffing defensive end who can kick inside on passing downs. In terms of where he would line up on the field for us, he is most like Cam Jordan and Mario Edwards. Nothing wrong with bringing him in on a cheap deal to compete for a spot. If he doesn't make it, he's someone that would likely be available and familiar with our defense during the season.

That's not entirely accurate based on what I have read. He's versatile, and can play 3-tech but he also had 9.5 sacks over the last three years, and 42 QB pressures over the past two - at least according to this recent write-up on the Eagles options at DE:

Wes Horton: The USC alum wouldn’t be a very inspiring addition, but he’s managed 42 pressures combined the last two season for the Panthers and would come at a low cost.

That's not entirely accurate based on what I have read. He's versatile, and can play 3-tech but he also had 9.5 sacks over the last three years, and 42 QB pressures over the past two - at least according to this recent write-up on the Eagles options at DE:

Wes Horton: The USC alum wouldn’t be a very inspiring addition, but he’s managed 42 pressures combined the last two season for the Panthers and would come at a low cost.
42 pressures in 32 games played is not particularly impressive; less than 1 1/3 per game. The sack total is inflated by his 2017 season, which at 5.5 sacks is an outlier compared to all his other seasons, which never exceeded 2.5. He is a competent player who would be nice to bring to camp, but he is not a pass rusher.

42 pressures in 32 games played is not particularly impressive; less than 1 1/3 per game. The sack total is inflated by his 2017 season, which at 5.5 sacks is an outlier compared to all his other seasons, which never exceeded 2.5. He is a competent player who would be nice to bring to camp, but he is not a pass rusher.

I'll take your word for it - though on pressures your frequency should be by snap, not by game (to get a real sense of effectiveness). I really don't know the guy, just going off of what I read.

We might not even be signing him, I just think my source is pretty good and the word was that it's happening . . . but you never know.

I'll take your word for it - though on pressures your frequency should be by snap, not by game (to get a real sense of effectiveness). I really don't know the guy, just going off of what I read.

We might not even be signing him, I just think my source is pretty good and the word was that it's happening . . . but you never know.
If I had that information, I'd share it. But I don't, and am not paying a premium service to get it. Just trying to back up my impressions with some statistics.

I hope you're right on all accounts, though, and that we get the 2017 Horton.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom