Saints bring in Gruden to visit/chat about offensive tweaks (1 Viewer)

Subscription to the Advocate is required.

Can you give the cliff notes

Carr is familiar with the Saints offense as it's derivative of Gruden's, under which Carr had his best years. The system functions best when the QB can go to the line with multiple plays and check in and out of what best suits the situation and protections. This has not happened since Brees but Carr is capable. So things should look more like what we were used to. More playaction. More motion.

This is a kind of a seperate the art from the artist situation. Not a fan of Gruden as a person, but he's good at his job and got some good work out of Carr.

If you're not a fan of "keep doing what you're doing" then this should come as welcome news.

EDIT: I wrote this when I thought he was just meeting with the coaches. Him being at practice around players changes my more rosy view of this. I stand by what he brings from a purely football standpoint, but man, I hate to see him out there at practice and fingers crossed he’s relayed everything he possibly could and is never seen on Airline drive again.

Last edited:
This is a kind of a seperate the art from the artist situation. Not a fan of Gruden as a person, but he's good at his job and got some good work out of Carr.

If you're not a fan of "keep doing what you're doing" then this should come as welcome news.
Same here, I'm not a fan of Gruden,but he does know Qb and offense.

There's just some insights that you can't get from the tapes or from Carr himself. A coach's first hand perspective and knowledge of the player has value especially coming from a guy who understands the offense that we're running and knows the most effective ways to utilize the player.

We aren't hiring him. He's just coming in to give us some insights and perspective. It's not a bad thing at all.

This is an underrated move that will pay dividends.

Adding pre-snap motion will make it more difficult for Defenses to disguise coverage and could potentially create coverage mismatches.

Play action will freeze safeties and linebackers and give Carr opportunities outside the hashmarks and down field.

I have not been this excited about the Saints Offense since 2012.

Screen-Hunter-162.png

Prentice, Jawan, Olave, give me a SPIDER 2 Y BANANA

Screen-Hunter-160.png

Carr's got to play his best ball for the Saints to ascend, so I like what they doin here

Last edited:
So DA is doing everything he can to set a player up for success?

expression-harognakoshl.gif

I can tell you what I said. I said that I hate the term "bust" and most QBs that are called "bust" are usually drafted to trashbag organizations that don't know how to develop players (hence being drafted so high) but want that same player to be the savior of the organization or for some, the case of the player not being the coach's "guy." Do the player still have to put in the work? Of course but a player can have all of the skill in the world but if they are in a place that doesn't develop that skill while putting that player in a position to succeed, then that skill is wasted. Geno Smith threw more TDs this past season than his 2 full

Do I believe that Carr will have a great year? More than likely because as Stalwart said, we will invest into his success because they have "their guy." What he doesn't realize is that this is a major sign of bad coaching as you have essentially shown that you set previous QBs up for failure. Franchises create "franchise QBs" and I believe that the Panthers will be the latest example of that.

Yes there is. They are held by Andy Reid and Kyle Shanahan.
-I saw this all the time but it bears repeating; Patrick Mahomes is near the bottom of the league for intended air yards, completed air yards, and tight window throws but the Chiefs are among the league leaders in 20+ yard plays. That man throws to his first or second read on a pass that 7 yards or less, and that receiver is WIDE OPEN in space. Andy Reid is a mad genius.
-We just saw what Shanahan did with Purdy.

Geno didn't become mediocre by seasons end, he just went against the best defenses in the league and those weren't even blow outs.
This was Tua's best season by far and staying healthy would have easily had him in the MVP conversation (look up his relationship with McDaniels)
Goff was then sent to the Lions after he didn't "live up to expectations." If you saw his interview from the Pivot, it was eye opening
Trevor Lawrence was the WORST starting QB in the league last season. Toxic environment, bad coaching, the whole 9. A great coach (that we could have had) turned that team and culture around and he led them to the playoffs. That's the start of a turnaround.

main-qimg-02b45ae4f38517d27744be2c2e5b165b

Last edited:
I wonder if we could hire Gruden as a senior offense assistant or something. He might be willing to do it to get back in the league and rehabilitate his image after Goodell or whomever released his private email communications.

I don’t really care if he called someone rubber lips or whatever it was that he referred to the guy as in his email. It would be better not to write something insulting about someone’s appearance but not a big deal.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom