Saints bring in Gruden to visit/chat about offensive tweaks (1 Viewer)

Was his passing offense not good during his tenure? I thought his teams were usually in the top half of the league outside of his first season. He might be washed up as a head coach but his passing concepts never seemed outdated to me.
28th
24th
10th

In points. Don't get fooled by yards. A lot of it was garbage.

28th
24th
10th

You can call him ineffective and washed up as a playcaller in the RedZone but his passing concepts are sound and effective. He's here to pull some plays from his Raiders archives that Carr liked when he was there and point out and suggests some plays in our playbook through the years that can be effective for Carr. Don't see any issues with that.

28th
24th
10th

Agreed,

The Modern explosive offense is confirmed statistically more by TDs, red zone offense and explosive chunk plays

Passing completion percentage and total yards is misleading and overused by lazy reporters

Raiders gave an often injured Jimmy G 3 years and $72mill to replace Carr

Same Jimmy G coming from shoulder and recent ankle surgery but wanted desperately to shove Carr out of town

Why?

Who were we competing against to acquire Carr? Why did Carr sign so quickly? Was there really a huge market for Carr's services as QB stater? The Draft has shown that Car,Houston, Indy Atlanta,Tenn wanted no part of Carr

My Dad and I put our 2 heads together

We were competing with ourselves

Or perhaps it was known league-wide, before most of the media and fans knew, that Carr was going to be a Saint. Not to mention the fact that he wasn’t a true free agent and was put into a position to essentially talk to the only teams he was truly interested in early on in the process, making it even more evident who the true apple of his eye was.

Ever consider that scenario?

You think he took his wife on his first visit to NO just because? No. He did it because he knew it was 90+ percent likely that this was his spot.

I don't think the Saints wanted that news to be public. It's interesting that nobody else is reporting about it. Seems like Duncan has it out for the Saints organization. I"m sure the NFL won't be happy about this.

28th
24th
10th

Yep...folks are so caught with completion percentage and empty yards that they miss the fact that those Raiders were some of the lowest scoring teams in the league.

You can call him ineffective and washed up as a playcaller in the RedZone but his passing concepts are sound and effective. He's here to pull some plays from his Raiders archives that Carr liked when he was there and point out and suggests some plays in our playbook through the years that can be effective for Carr. Don't see any issues with that.
I don't see any issues with it either. It's just that this would have been a good idea last season as well...

Gruden has been out of the league since being fired by the Raiders in 2021 after it was revealed he used racist, homophobic and sexist language in emails. So Roger will suspended AK for 12 games after this move

The Raiders absolutely were not top 10 in either of those categories last season.
They were 6th in yards per drive and 8th in points per drive in 2022.

That was the second best offense under Carr. The best Carr offense was in 2020, where they were 6th in yards per drive and 7th in points per drive.

TD rate and Raiders actual points per game. 2022 would be the 4th highest in both of his career.
He's only played 9 seasons, 4th highest is very much "middle"

And TD rate and team points per game are NOT typical QB metrics.

Passing Yards and Interceptions thrown are some of the usual metrics and he had career worsts in those last season.

No reasonable football fan would say McDaniels gave Carr one of his best seasons.

They were 6th in yards per drive and 8th in points per drive in 2022.

I misunderstood "If being top ten in both yards and points per drive" to be total yards and points per drive.

The per drive is an unusual metric to quote.

Especially since those are team stats, not individual stats, and those stats mean less in context, and the context is that they went 6-11.

So yes, 6 - 11 is a failure, no matter how you rank in "per drive" statistics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom