Saints bring in Gruden to visit/chat about offensive tweaks (1 Viewer)

Yards and completion percentage? Sure. Actually scoring TDs? Nah

In 3 of the 4 seasons in Gruden's system, his TD rates were:
2018 - 3.4 (26th)
2019 - 4.1 (21st)
2021 - 3.7 (23rd)

this is hilarious.

Derek Carr says he enjoyed his best production under Gruden and you a poster here, are trying to convince everyone he didn’t.

Redzone production a lot of ties is less about system and more about playcalls in that area.

if the system and QB got you down the field to that point then it must work lol

A huge staple when Brees was here was spread the RB wide and bring them back in with motion to get a feel for the type of coverage we were facing.

How, when he gave Carr one of the most productive seasons of his career?
If you’re going to oust your QB (despite being productive) while doing next to nothing in free agency or the draft to address your 26th ranked defense that gave up more PPG than the offense YOU yourself called plays for and are the architect of, that’s pretty much the definition of scapegoating.

Barring Carr putting up an All-Pro season last year, McDaniels likely already knew before the season he was moving on from him. He knew Garoppolo (who was one of his guys in New England for 4 years as the OC/QB coach) was either getting traded or hitting the market.

McDaniels just wanted his guy, plain and simple.

I have never understood the infatuation with Gruden. He is more personality and stereotype than a guy capable of offering insight helpful today. He had one big season in Oakland and then inherited an all-time great defense and SB ready team built by Dungy. After getting that SB, he coasted in TB, fielding mediocre offenses till they canned him.

Seriously, has anyone in the league besides Mark Davis or Daniel Snyder thought highly of Gruden’s offensive chops since 2005? In his Raiders tenure he was almost mediocre at best or was a failure in football terms at worst, plus he is a documented racist.

I see no reason to get excited about him stopping by to show Pete how to run an early 2000s dink and dunk offense and especially when he represents the opposite of the culture the Saints players have built in the NO locker room.

A huge staple when Brees was here was spread the RB wide and bring them back in with motion to get a feel for the type of coverage we were facing.
Well...that's a pretty standard thing to bring a guy in motion to see how they're covering pretty snap.

We didn't do any of that last season...then we lined up all 11 men damn near in thr tackle box to help the defense disguise their blitzes.

I misunderstood "If being top ten in both yards and points per drive" to be total yards and points per drive.

The per drive is an unusual metric to quote.

Especially since those are team stats, not individual stats, and those stats mean less in context, and the context is that they went 6-11.

So yes, 6 - 11 is a failure, no matter how you rank in "per drive" statistics.
It's really the best unadjusted metric for judging an offense or defense, since it measures what a team does when they get possession, and the number of possessions varies pretty randomly between teams. For example, the Vikings were 7th in both total points and yards, but on a per drive basis, they were 12th in scoring and 19th in yards. The difference is they had the 3rd most drives in the league.

And team stats are a good way to measure a coach's performance. The claim is frequently made on here that Carr had a disaster season due to McDaniels' offense, but the McDaniels offense was one of the most productive in the league.

Also, fair enough on the record part, a head coach is ultimately judged on that metric.

Last edited:
He's only played 9 seasons, 4th highest is very much "middle"

And TD rate and team points per game are NOT typical QB metrics.

Passing Yards and Interceptions thrown are some of the usual metrics and he had career worsts in those last season.

No reasonable football fan would say McDaniels gave Carr one of his best seasons.
With 9 being an odd number, 5th would make it "very much 'middle.'" lol

All jokes aside, passing yards and interceptions aren't really metrics in the sense of what I was speaking about? Those are just raw stats

QBs are usually judged on passing yards and interceptions thrown but evaluated on TD rate, INT rate, CPOE, and other metrics, and sometimes film..lol

this is hilarious.

Derek Carr says he enjoyed his best production under Gruden and you a poster here, are trying to convince everyone he didn’t.

Redzone production a lot of ties is less about system and more about playcalls in that area.
Derek Carr enjoyed his best yardage, completion percentage, and brand new reputation playing under Gruden. They were also one of the lowest scoring teams in the league most of his tenure and his TD rates were among the lowest.

if the system and QB got you down the field to that point then it must work lol
You would think..lol

If you’re going to oust your QB (despite being productive) while doing next to nothing in free agency or the draft to address your 26th ranked defense that gave up more PPG than the offense YOU yourself called plays for and are the architect of, that’s pretty much the definition of scapegoating.

Barring Carr putting up an All-Pro season last year, McDaniels likely already knew before the season he was moving on from him. He knew Garoppolo (who was one of his guys in New England for 4 years as the OC/QB coach) was either getting traded or hitting the market.

McDaniels just wanted his guy, plain and simple.
Crazy ain't it...

Well...that's a pretty standard thing to bring a guy in motion to see how they're covering pretty snap.

We didn't do any of that last season...then we lined up all 11 men damn near in thr tackle box to help the defense disguise their blitzes.

diagnosethis.PNG

With 9 being an odd number, 5th would make it "very much 'middle.'" lol

All jokes aside, passing yards and interceptions aren't really metrics in the sense of what I was speaking about? Those are just raw stats

QBs are usually judged on passing yards and interceptions thrown but evaluated on TD rate, INT rate, CPOE, and other metrics, and sometimes film..lol

Derek Carr enjoyed his best yardage, completion percentage, and brand new reputation playing under Gruden. They were also one of the lowest scoring teams in the league most of his tenure and his TD rates were among the lowest.

You would think..lol

Crazy ain't it...

diagnosethis.PNG
How has this become about Jameis again?

Who brought up Jameis?
That's what I'm trying to figure out....you brought him up in a reply to me and I told you that you were the only one who brought him up because we were talking about the lack of motion and a horrible formation.

That's what I'm trying to figure out....you brought him up in a reply to me and I told you that you were the only one who brought him up because we were talking about the lack of motion and a horrible formation.
So you’re saying, with complete honesty, that you randomly and coincidentally chose a screen grab from one of the few games Jameis started last season?

I have never understood the infatuation with Gruden. He is more personality and stereotype than a guy capable of offering insight helpful today. He had one big season in Oakland and then inherited an all-time great defense and SB ready team built by Dungy. After getting that SB, he coasted in TB, fielding mediocre offenses till they canned him.

Seriously, has anyone in the league besides Mark Davis or Daniel Snyder thought highly of Gruden’s offensive chops since 2005? In his Raiders tenure he was almost mediocre at best or was a failure in football terms at worst, plus he is a documented racist.

I see no reason to get excited about him stopping by to show Pete how to run an early 2000s dink and dunk offense and especially when he represents the opposite of the culture the Saints players have built in the NO locker room.
could it hurt.. not really.

could it help... possibly.

atleast they are doing something.

Agreed,

The Modern explosive offense is confirmed statistically more by TDs, red zone offense and explosive chunk plays

Passing completion percentage and total yards is misleading and overused by lazy reporters
Passing completion percentage and total yards got used around here for a decade or so.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom