Saints bringing in DT Lorenzo Neal (2 Viewers)

Its like people dont realize there are 31 other teams drafting and teams stick to their draft board so if you have a player high on your draft board for a specific round and that players is drafted by another team you go down your board to the next value pick for your selection.

The Saints tried and succeeded with some trade ups and came out with the best players available on their draft board.

The UDFA Market is a bigger indicator of how this roster will be filled out at the bottom of the depth chart and cape restrictions is why they weren't big players in free agency. There will be some UDFA's that make this roster to fill out the roster that may not be on the team the following year.
THIS! Yes, there were guys on the board we could have chosen, but we seem to REALLY be cherry picking a certain type of player/players. Just because they are the "prototype" on paper, they need certain intangibles the staff is looking for.

Pros: I like his tenacity and he seems to have a nose for the ball. He isn't the most mobile or quick, but he doesn't waste many steps to get where he is going and takes good angles. He seems to be a "lunch pail" guy and with Lorenzo being his dad, he learned not to take anything for granted and grind.

Cons (more questions than cons, I guess): Conditioning and in rotation, can the player BRING IT on rotational snaps. Some players need the reps to get into game flow. Can he shed the big boys??

Bates had “very good potential”. Had the size and speed to be a good back, but his “heart” was always called into question. He seemed to head for the sidelines a lot to avoid being hit by a would be tackler.
Yeah...I heard from the horse's mouth. There was a little something presented publicly with the "buy me a beer" and he had no money...BUT, the main reason was he was hitting that sideline a LOT while guys like Lorenzo were blocking their arses off for him. He got caught talking $h@t and got his jaw broke at Club 57. It had been culminating for a while. If watched those seasons, Bates left a lot of yardage on the field. You can see blocks set up and he would bounce out...maybe get a 5-9 yard run, but could have been a 10-15 yarder if followed his lead blocks.

Mario Bates was actually a very good running back. Better than Vaughn Dunbar.
“Very good” is a bit of a stretch, but Bates had some ability no doubt... he was better than Dunbar, but that’s not saying much.

FWIW, I always liked Derek Brown more than Bates or Dunbar. Brown reminded me of Dalton Hilliard... a short, quick RB with tree trunks for thighs.

“Very good” is a bit of a stretch, but Bates had some ability no doubt... he was better than Dunbar, but that’s not saying much.

FWIW, I always liked Derek Brown more than Bates or Dunbar. Brown reminded me of Dalton Hilliard... a short, quick RB with tree trunks for thighs.
Probably. My memory is a little cloudy with him though. But I thought he was good. Derek Brown was a good back. Kind of took over for Dalton and even looks a little like him. Dalton would of been great with Brees and in Sean's offensive system. The only issue with Dalton was the pounding he took and the injuries that came with it and his fumbling. But that man can do some serious cut-backs.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom