Saints-Bucs was most watched Fox NFL opener in four years (1 Viewer)

But muh boycotts

Not so fast bruh...Sunday nights game was down 28% from last years Sunday night opener, that's huge. And had two big name teams playing the game so there is no excuse about scrub teams playing...heck Thursday nights season opener was down 16.1% and that was a big dip from last years opener....so yeah "muh boycotts" is right

our game had two legends going at one another, one on a new team for first time in 20 years...and the media hyping it up as game of the week (but in my opinion saints games are always a good draw)

I bet that game got stellar ratings. I was surprised it wasn’t the Sunday night or Monday night game. NFL needs to do that for round two if they’re smart.

Not so fast bruh...Sunday nights game was down 28% from last years Sunday night opener, that's huge. And had two big name teams playing the game so there is no excuse about scrub teams playing...heck Thursday nights season opener was down 16.1% and that was a big dip from last years opener....so yeah "muh boycotts" is right

our game had two legends going at one another, one on a new team for first time in 20 years...and the media hyping it up as game of the week (but in my opinion saints games are always a good draw)
The SNF game ratings still haven’t included the West Coast, particularly L.A.
The article I posted a few posts earlier explains the state of the NFL ratings and how advertisers are feeling.

The SNF game ratings still haven’t included the West Coast, particularly L.A.
The article I posted a few posts earlier explains the state of the NFL ratings and how advertisers are feeling.

Not only that, but last year’s SNF opener was Patriots-Steelers. Arguably the two biggest drawing teams in the league.

Last year’s game of the week that the Saints-Bucs just topped? Yup. Cowboys and Giants.

Maybe people just aren’t as interested in the Cowboys. 🤷‍♂️

I bet that game got stellar ratings. I was surprised it wasn’t the Sunday night or Monday night game. NFL needs to do that for round two if they’re smart.
Here's the thing.
FOX "deserves" the game just as much as a ESPN or NBC.

NFL cannot just gift NBC and ESPN all the big games...in fact, ESPN is usually the one on the short end of the stick more often than not.

FOX (and CBS) pays NFL a lot of money too. You can bet they tell the NFL "Hey, we deserve the rights to Brees vs Brady/Mahomes vs Jackson/Rodgers vs the Cowboys just as much as NBC/ESPN".

So NFL probably told NBC and FOX "ok we'll split this matchup with you two guys". And NBC was probably like "Well shoot, we'll just give FOX round 1 of Brady/Brees and put the Cowboys vs Los Angeles in the new stadium in the Sunday night opening slot because that's just as likely to draw big ratings plus the NFL gets to put the spotlight on LA again".

Here's the thing.
FOX "deserves" the game just as much as a ESPN or NBC.

NFL cannot just gift NBC and ESPN all the big games...in fact, ESPN is usually the one on the short end of the stick more often than not.

FOX (and CBS) pays NFL a lot of money too. You can bet they tell the NFL "Hey, we deserve the rights to Brees vs Brady/Mahomes vs Jackson/Rodgers vs the Cowboys just as much as NBC/ESPN".

So NFL probably told NBC and FOX "ok we'll split this matchup with you two guys". And NBC was probably like "Well shoot, we'll just give FOX round 1 of Brady/Brees and put the Cowboys vs Los Angeles in the new stadium in the Sunday night opening slot because that's just as likely to draw big ratings plus the NFL gets to put the spotlight on LA again".
CBS and FOX have a certain number of games they can protect from moving off the network and onto ESPN/ABC and ESPN.
The first Bucs/Saints game was one of those.

This should scare the nfl because with no one in the stadiums there should be more viewership then normal but they are down a ton. Somethings up don’t ya think?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom