Saints can make up for not drafting a single DB last year (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Nickel and Dime packages are paramount and the presence of Kris Richard suggest that the Saints could have an inside track on Richard Sherman.

If that logic were to prove true it means they don’t have to reach for a CB and can get one in the 33-42 range.

A guy that fits for me is Moehrig. Could upgrade Nickel/Dime safety in some 2 high coverages and serve as a replacement for Williams if you can’t resign him. Hed also improve range on the back end as a sub for Malcolm Jenkins

Sherman + a 2nd rounder would give time for development but also help upgrade Nickel/Dime coverage.

Also keep in mind DA plays with 6-7 DBs a large amount.

He has to get past Vikings Jaguars and Ravens

Fingers crossed

I’ve been absent for a few months and have unfortunately missed a lot of the draft discussion.. I’ve still been doing my usual homework and I am here now to pound the table for Greg Newsome...

Mods you can move to Random draft chatter. I didn’t look at forum thread just posted

thanks

I’ve been absent for a few months and have unfortunately missed a lot of the draft discussion.. I’ve still been doing my usual homework and I am here now to pound the table for Greg Newsome...
I’d be good with him too

curve ball.

Saints trade 1st next year 1st and davenport to Packers for Rodgers

Nickel and Dime packages are paramount and the presence of Kris Richard suggest that the Saints could have an inside track on Richard Sherman.

If that logic were to prove true it means they don’t have to reach for a CB and can get one in the 33-42 range.

A guy that fits for me is Moehrig. Could upgrade Nickel/Dime safety in some 2 high coverages and serve as a replacement for Williams if you can’t resign him. Hed also improve range on the back end as a sub for Malcolm Jenkins

Sherman + a 2nd rounder would give time for development but also help upgrade Nickel/Dime coverage.

Also keep in mind DA plays with 6-7 DBs a large amount.

He has to get past Vikings Jaguars and Ravens

Fingers crossed
We don't have a pick in the 33-42 range.

I'm confused.

I think the Sherman thing is gonna happen. The guy i would aggressively pursue in the 2nd round is the Oklahoma State guard/Tackle Jenkins. Love his tape. I think he is a 10 plus year starter in the league. He has good tackle tape but probably excel at guard. But can give u tackle snaps in a pinch. Quality deph on the O line has been a component of our past success and he brings it.

We don't have a pick in the 33-42 range.

I'm confused.
Trade up

Looks like to me... Davenport is about to go into a trade.
Nah, they neede to replace Hendrickson and or give them another cheap edge option should Cam continue to regress to the point that his contract is no longer valuable. Edge wasn't talked about as much as DB or QB leading up to the draft so everyone absolutely puzzled by the selection but it makes sense.

Read more about this guy and you findo ut his RAS score is around a 98, that he's got an extremely great work ethic, and his lack of production prior to his one big year is a result of him being miscast as a DT.

He dropped 20lbs this year to become an Edge guy and his statistics exploded. Had he played a full string of games it extrapolates to over 20 TFL and 13 sacks potentially.

Arguably he was the top DE in the class.

I think the Sherman thing is gonna happen. The guy i would aggressively pursue in the 2nd round is the Oklahoma State guard/Tackle Jenkins. Love his tape. I think he is a 10 plus year starter in the league. He has good tackle tape but probably excel at guard. But can give u tackle snaps in a pinch. Quality deph on the O line has been a component of our past success and he brings it.

Games are won in the trenches so I wouldn't complain about getting another body on the Oline. If nothing else comes from this thread I hope everyone notices how I'm not so tied to a player that I absolutely wig out and scream "but the guy was right there" and assume it's a wasted pick because my guy wasn't selected.

Turner is legit and just because no one had him pegged doesnt' mean they missed.

Last edited:
We need players that can cover very impressive two-tight end sets:

We have 4 games against:

Kyle Pitts- Hayden Hurst
Gronk-Cameron Brate-OJ Howard

Right now, the only player we have in order to do so is Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Even if Kwon Alexander returns, we are thin.

Moderig was ideal to do so, Owusu-Karamoah would fit the bill also.

And still, we need a boundary corner.

That is why I am not to trade up right now. We kind of used our first rounder as a luxury pick. Now it is time to fill holes since we don't have money to do it on free agency.

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
We need players that can cover very impressive two-tight end sets:

We have 4 games against:

Kyle Pitts- Hayden Hurst
Gronk-Cameron Brate-OJ Howard

Right now, the only player we have in order to do so is Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. Even if Kwon Alexander returns, we are thin.

Moderig was ideal to do so, Owusu-Karamoah would fit the bill also.

And still, we need a boundary corner.

That is why I am not to trade up right now. We kind of used our first rounder as a luxury pick. Now it is time to fill holes since we don't have money to do it on free agency.

I wouldn't say that. We did fine against Gronk/Brate/OJ Howard and the Bucs TE's last year. Pitts is good, but Pitts is still a rookie so the fear in him shouldn't be as high as it is.

It's not that I don't agree we need coverage becasue I do, but saying DE was a luxury pick is short sighted when you consider the # of question marks at DE in 2021

What do you have in Davenport?
What do you have in Granderson?
Who replaces Hendrickson?
Does Cam Jordan bounce back or continue to regress?

Not to mention the weakened rotation after losing Rankins/Malcom Brown as well.

I simply cannot agree that the Saints made a poor move here. I also think people are truly not considering that the Saints wouldn't force a DB unless they have a plan in place that would not put them in position to have to force a DB.

By all accounts they wanted to move up but couldn't, and it takes two...but perhaps there was no panic because they have a veteran CB in mind that can help if the draft didn't fall perfectly their way.

You gotta have multiple plans.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom