Saints Coaches Make "Smart" Decisions. (1 Viewer)

I agree with you Shawn. Not having Joe or Colston, and our other receivers dropping a few early on, definitely contributed to Sean's decisions, but if you look at it, Drew didn't have a bad game - 17 for 28 with 1 TD. Sean simply made Reggie the "go-to" guy in the passing attack with 9 of Drew's 17 receptions.

I think the pressure San Fran got early factored heavily into it. We saw this early in the season when Reggie was getting 9 catches a game on swing passes. When teams are getting pressure on Brees Payton compensates by getting the RBs heavily involved.

Good post! Let's look at an other angle....

Weren't the Saints in the upper 20s in RUSH DEFENSE?....like 26th or something?....so how come we did so good against their RB, Gore, with our rush D being below average?

How about our offense?....weren't we the best or, one of the best in passing offense? looking at the stats, one might think that the 9rs are one of the better teams in DEFENDING THE PASS......yet the stats show that they are one of the worst in pass defense.....yet Brees had mediocre stats in throwing the ball! (by his standards)...how that happened?

how about our rushing offense??.....weren't we one of the worst teams rushing the ball???....looking at the stats, with almost 200yds on the ground, one might think differently!

This game was a strange game stats -wise! We excelled in things we don't do too good, and had a MEDIOCRE performance in those things we lead, or were close leading the league!! ........can anybody explain why?

Great post. I actually was pretty ticked at Peyton in the first drives because all he was doing was trying to pass and it was driving me nuts. "Run Deuce already! Stop being so pass-happy!" I was screaming. Well, boy, did he adjust. He ran over them with Deuce and lateral/short passes to Reggie the rest of the game. I bow to his adjusting (something Haslett rarely did) and to his expertise. Awesome job yesterday!

Weren't the Saints in the upper 20s in RUSH DEFENSE?....like 26th or something?....so how come we did so good against their RB, Gore, with our rush D being below average?

How about our offense?....weren't we the best or, one of the best in passing offense? looking at the stats, one might think that the 9rs are one of the better teams in DEFENDING THE PASS......yet the stats show that they are one of the worst in pass defense.....yet Brees had mediocre stats in throwing the ball! (by his standards)...how that happened?

how about our rushing offense??.....weren't we one of the worst teams rushing the ball???....looking at the stats, with almost 200yds on the ground, one might think differently!

Great post. I actually was pretty ticked at Peyton in the first drives because all he was doing was trying to pass and it was driving me nuts. "Run Deuce already! Stop being so pass-happy!" I was screaming. Well, boy, did he adjust. He ran over them with Deuce and lateral/short passes to Reggie the rest of the game. I bow to his adjusting (something Haslett rarely did) and to his expertise. Awesome job yesterday!

To answer the first part..... our players did a great job of keeping containment and not blowing assignments... plus we tackled very well. If not for the Steelers game when our corners got caught way too far inside I'm sure we wouldn't be as low agains the run.

2nd part.. Drew actually would have had a good day if we hadn't dropped 5 passes including a TD. Also when your top 2 WRs go out there is generally a drop in production

This game was a strange game stats -wise! We excelled in things we don't do too good, and had a MEDIOCRE performance in those things we lead, or were close leading the league!! ........can anybody explain why?

Well truthfully he wasn't very stubborn with the play calling in the beginning, but we had alot of drops and you have to try a couple of times before you completely change your gameplan. Joe going out and Devery dropping passes sure didn't help because had the catches been made, we may have been able to move the ball fine through the air. I do agree that they were blitzing alot early and running it against that slowed that down real quick.

Last edited:

I'll give it a shot: I'd say; "The TEAM is a lot more balanced than any of us understood!" We always had DEUCE and now Reggie is "seeing" his holes first and then hitting the afterburners and jump jets" then while our "O"-Line did a fine job protecting Drew, turns out they developed this rapport now where they can Run Block very well too! Then our Defense has settled into a REAL Force to be dealt with as our Coaches are developing and understanding their personnel and maximising their positives! We've gone through some injuries yet guys like Cooper (can you believe this guys game?) to fill in on the "D"-line very nicely!

All in all, this team is balanced, developing and really, really "feeling it!" at the correct time too! I hope that helps as we watch the SAINTS take what's given them on Offense and taking away other team's strengths on Defense!

The only game where I believe Sean has been outcoached this year was the Ravens' game, and player errors also contributed to that loss. I.E. Reggie's fumble and his int in the end zone, ball bouncing off of Stecker for an int TD, etc.

In the other 3 losses, I thought our coaches made the right adjustments. Player errors (turnovers) lost those three games.

Carolina - Fumble by Reggie in the red zone, big run by Foster in 4th quarter.

Pitt - Big runs by Parker, & TO's

Cincy, Turnovers (Drew's 2 ints in the red zone) and CJ's 3 long completions.

All in all, for a first year HC, Sean is game planning like a veteran HC.

Would we have abandoned the pass if those 5 or so drops were caught? The pass was working just as well as the run. Just have to CATCH the pass.

Horn and Colston (two Pro-Bowl quality receivers) were out for (basically) the entire game.

And we still scored 30+ and got 370 something yards.

I LOVE this coaching staff.

Would we have abandoned the pass if those 5 or so drops were caught? The pass was working just as well as the run. Just have to CATCH the pass.

I agree. I don't think we abandoned the pass yesterday, geauxboy. 28 attempts is not abandoning the pass. We simply took the passes they gave us. They made a concerted effort to take away of long ball with their zone coverage, and it worked. The 5 drops had nothing to do with that.

Their coverages simply dictacte an adjustment on our part. I.E. More runs and screens.

I agree. Payton is a top 3 coach on game day. He really mixes it up without distorting the execution. He seems to get the best out of our players, who this year look smart whereas under Haslett looked less smart.

I though Nolan showed a lot of respect for our team. All those gimmicks were a sign of desperation and trying to be overly aggressive. He new they could not win in a shoot out. And he was right.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom