Saints coaching moves signal Payton staying, in control (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
By Ken Trahan

Call it the latest step in the rebuilding process.

The news – first reported by Alex Marvez of The Sporting News and confirmed by the Saints Friday afternoon – that the organization has “parted ways” with five assistant coaches is the latest and boldest move in the total rebuilding of a championship franchise.

The implications are huge and they are clear.

In retrospect, you have to throw out the 2012 and 2013 seasons.

In 2011, the New Orleans Saints were the best team in the NFL and lost an epic game at San Francisco. In my estimation, the 2011 Saints were more talented than the 2009 Saints, who won Super Bowl XLIV.

The 2012 season was a lost season following BountyGate.

The core players of the 2009 championship season became a year older. By the end of 2013, the likes of Darren Sproles, Scott Fujita, Will Smith, Scott Shanle, Jonathan Vilma, Malcolm Jabari Greer, Jenkins, Roman Harper, Devery Henderson, Lance Moore, Jeremy Shockey, Reggie Bush, Carl Nicks, Jermon Bushrod and Garrett Hartley were gone...

Full Story - SportsNOLA.com
I found this article written by Ken Trahan rather interesting. I share in his optimism in the end.

Good article. I am still very curious on how the decisions were made. If Loomis or someone else made Sean to review the staff. I believe all decisions were.made by Sean himself. I also want to see if positions will be filled next week or until the Senior Bowl.

Finally, I wonder if changes are coming also at football operations, specially at pro-scouting.

Good article. I am still very curious on how the decisions were made. If Loomis or someone else made Sean to review the staff. I believe all decisions were.made by Sean himself. I also want to see if positions will be filled next week or until the Senior Bowl.

Finally, I wonder if changes are coming also at football operations, specially at pro-scouting.

That's a great point. There have been a lot of misses on big ticket free agents the last few years. Sproles was probably the last great signing.

Unless it is someone either Payton or Allen really want I don't see a position coach as a position to immediately fill. Under the terms of the CBA these coaches can't have any contact with players until mid-late April and even then there contact is limited to meetings only. No on the field contact allowed at all until camps start.

That's a great point. There have been a lot of misses on big ticket free agents the last few years. Sproles was probably the last great signing.

We've missed out on "big ticket" FAs, but we've hit on smaller ones like Robertson and Breaux

My opinion is that Payton is still very much in charge. I sometimes feel he has become too authoritarian. It's a difficult balance to have authority over the team without becoming authoritarian. I know he got a raw deal in bounty gate so it may stem from that which is understandable to some degree.

i would say second to last step in the rebuilding process - this offseason will be the make or break

and that **** SF game - just 1 defensive stop and we're a potential dynasty:aargh:
screw GW AND RG:rant:

My opinion is that Payton is still very much in charge. I sometimes feel he has become too authoritarian. It's a difficult balance to have authority over the team without becoming authoritarian. I know he got a raw deal in bounty gate so it may stem from that which is understandable to some degree.

I've thought this for some time. I think the bounty gate may have had a philosophical effect on how he coaches. If the statements of bounty gate are true about how it was essentially two teams with very little interaction between coaching staffs. I would be inclined to believe Payton got a raw deal, because he didn't know the extent to which Williams was causing a possible bad situation. It would be natural that when he came back he would want to stick with his guys, the ones who tow the party line and do exactly what Payton wants. Even if those coaches may not be the best, their loyalty was unwavering.

That being said I actually see this a bit differently than some people. I think this signals the possible end in 2017 if things don't turn around big time. I actually think the front office expected more out of this team than 7-9 again. I think they at least expected a wild card berth if not a winning season. It doesn't make since to me to fire these coaches if you knew 2016 was gonna be a rebuild year. I do believe vitt and company should have been let go some years ago. I honestly struggle to see any growth in the games of the players they were in charge of. I believe they should have let them go when we hired Ryan. All that being said I think the firing of those coaches speaks to the hot seat Payton is on rather than the fact he will be around 4 more years.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom