Saints come in 6th in PFF Offensive Line ranking (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
6. New Orleans Saints (1)

PB – 8th, RB – 7th, PEN – 4th
Stud: He may be the least well known player on the line, but it’s about time people started to recognize how much of a find Brian De La Puente (+23.0) has been for the Saints.
Dud: While he got better as the year went on, 58 combined sacks, hits and hurries are far too many from Jermon Bushrod (+1.5). Some good work in the run game ensured he ended with a positive grade, but you need your left tackle to pass block better.
Summary: The often unheralded part of the Saints’ success, the line didn’t get as good play from their tackles as they might have expected, but they got by without Carl Nicks just fine. That owed a lot to Ben Grubbs stepping up. A fine line that looks set for years to come.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/4/

As expected. Our tackles struggled more this year but overall, our offensive line was rock solid.

los226

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
Give it up for De La Puente! :9:

If only we could find half as many gems on the defensive side of the ball.

ASaintFerLife

A Shining light of Truth
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I will get better, with SP back, and a new line coach coming.

I only see Stinch as the weak link at the moment, he gets pushed back way to quickly and often needs help with recievers chipping the opposing player which then slows them down.

PayOrPlay

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Good. More comments like that might push Bushrod's price down enough that we can hang onto him for a couple more years at least.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I will get better, with SP back, and a new line coach coming.

I only see Stinch as the weak link at the moment, he gets pushed back way to quickly and often needs help with recievers chipping the opposing player which then slows them down.
Stinch was probably out fishing or hunting most of last season....

Boondock

Veritas Aequitas
Reaction score
I think that is very remarkable when taking into consideration everything these guys went through during the season. One of the biggest keys to this offseason is re-signing Bushrod. Make it happen Loomis!

SaintsJunkie

BREES HOF
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
we do need to upgrade both OTs, but the defense needs lots of help, but I think Drew makes them look better , and we can find OTs late or in FA that will play much better for us than some of these teams with poor QB play

tenordas

Vesti le procè flamber
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Houston via New Jersey, New Orleans, Baton Rouge,
I defintely see the FO pursuing an OT in free agency. It is decidedly our weak link, but it is the way they built the line, concentrating on the inner three. De La Puente indeed was a major find, coming out of nowhere to be an excellent player. Hope he keeps it up for many years. Grubbs had a rough first couple of games, then played rock solid the rest of the season.
I don't think Bushrod needs to be replaced for next season, but I know the contract issue will be the decider. He needs to play better than he did this last season, but he has the ability to do so. SP might be all the cure needed to get him back to form (I'm not saying he's an elite LT, but he's been very solid and can be again).
However, I think Strief needs to be replaced at RT. Strief is a solid backup, but he runs out of steam as the game goes on. He's always been a hard worker, a stand up guy and done everything the coaches ask, but someone with more physical skills is needed at this point. I still want him on the team for his attitude, experience, and ability to fill in or come in as third TE to stack up a short running play, but we've got to find someone better play to play for a whole game.

OP
bornnraisedwhodat

bornnraisedwhodat

Reaction score
I understand we can upgrade our tackle spots, but we were the #1 passing offense and one of the least sacked QB's. Sure we can use upgrades there but defense is much more pressing.

Getting back to running the ball will help.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
I understand we can upgrade our tackle spots, but we were the #1 passing offense and one of the least sacked QB's. Sure we can use upgrades there but defense is much more pressing.

Getting back to running the ball will help.
I agree. OT should only be a priority pick (top 3 rounds) if Bushrod is gone or the value is such that to pass him up would look ridiculous (Fisher at 15 maybe or Johnson in the second or Fluker in the third, or some such.)

SaintsRays

Reaction score
Besides some injuries at right tackle it was a good year again. We don't need to have the absolute best at every position. Bushrod is a top half of the league tackle and we should work to keep him. A top 5-10 offensive line with the best quarterback and a good group of skill players ideas plenty good to keep the offense churning out points and yards.

Belfast Saint

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Do you see Johnson and Fluker lasting that long?
I don't but stranger things have happened. However, that's the type of scenario I'm talking about where we'd draft a tackle (unless Bushrod goes and we have a real need).

Looks like Johnson will go somewhere from 12 - 28 and Fluker 25 - 50 but you never know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Joe Brady's path to NFL offensive coordinator comes full circle with game against Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Jared Cook Talks Offensive Rhythm, Shares Insight on the Saints Bye Week SR News Page Articles 0
Stats Uncovering Major Saints Offensive Flaw that could Kill the Season Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 78
Second look: Emmanuel Sanders was the straw that stirred the Saints offensive drink Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How was Saints' 1st game with fans in Superdome? For these lucky Who Dats, it was 'phenomenal' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Teddy Bridgewater's return: From big plays to a seat on Saints' bench; here's how it happened Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How the 1st sack of the season for Saints DE Marcus Davenport changed the game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints show Panthers that there’s no substitute for the real thing Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Saints navigated a crisis again, and it was evident how they'd do it from the start Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints win down top WRs with 3 a.m. game plan Saints RSS News Feeds 0
How clutch were Saints on 3rd down vs. Panthers? They did something NFL hasn't seen in 3 decades Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: 3,000 fans brought some "juice" to the Dome Sunday, and so did the Saints' offense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Cam Jordan: Saints knew Joey Slye wouldn’t make 65-yard field goal Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Panthers Postgame Show | Week 7 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Sean Payton Talks Win | Saints-Panthers Postgame | 2020 Week 7 SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Edge Panthers in Game of Inches SR News Page Articles 0
Saints stretch out to beat Panthers with inches to spare, a 'Who Dat' chant to remember Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints hold off Panthers, 27-24 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
NFL I'm new happy saints win Sunday Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Saint Kamara This goes down as arguably the best play calling game of Sean Payton's Saints career Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
Saints hold off Panthers for 27-24 win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What we learned, what is trending and final thoughts from the Saints' 27-24 win Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Kamara runs Saints to victory after they run out of receivers, 27-24 over Carolina. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees, Alvin Kamara lead depleted Saints offense past Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints 21 Panthers 17: 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints LT Terron Armstead suffers arm injury vs. Panthers, questionable to return Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees' latest milestone? Saints QB the first in NFL history to hit 7K completions Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints grab 21-17 lead before halftime Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints, Panthers trade touchdowns; Saints up 14-10 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
So_$@int Silly Saints Saints vs Panthers game day thread. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Saints vs. Panthers: Week 7 open thread Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Inactive players for Saints matchup against the Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
martymoose32 Panthers @ Saints Gameday Thread Gameday Board 1629
Saints' Michael Thomas, Nick Easton officially inactive for Panthers' game; see full list Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Saints bars in bossier haughton area Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 7
Saints vs. Panthers: Game Time, TV, Radio, Online Streaming, Mobile, and Odds Saints RSS News Feeds 0
New Orleans Saints fans’ rooting guide for NFL Week 7 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
What the Saints did without Emmanuel Sanders against the Chargers in Week 5 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
ktmoze Saints Pregame Report by John Hendrix Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Film Study: How the Saints Pass O shapes up against the Panthers zone-heavy Pass D Saints RSS News Feeds 0
I hope the Saints use the 1RB 4 TE package vs Carolina Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
Can Panthers' Teddy Bridgewater exploit his knowledge of the Saints? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Tony Chachere's Key Ingredients to a New Orleans Saints victory vs. Carolina Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Three things to watch as Saints and Panthers rivalry hits its refresh button Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints vs. Panthers live scoreboard, updates: See time, channel, picks, more for NFC South showdown Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton feels "Good" about Saints depleted Receiver Corps SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Behind Enemy Lines, Week 7: Previewing Saints vs. Panthers SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints call up two practice squad receivers as COVID-19 replacements SR News Page Articles 0
Missing Sanders and Thomas, Saints add WRs Carr and Johnson to roster ahead of Panthers game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints to use Austin Carr, Juwan Johnson as COVID-19 replacements, activate Will Clapp too for game vs. Panthers Saints RSS News Feeds 0