Saints come in 6th in PFF Offensive Line ranking (1 Viewer)

bornnraisedwhodat

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
6. New Orleans Saints (1)

PB – 8th, RB – 7th, PEN – 4th
Stud: He may be the least well known player on the line, but it’s about time people started to recognize how much of a find Brian De La Puente (+23.0) has been for the Saints.
Dud: While he got better as the year went on, 58 combined sacks, hits and hurries are far too many from Jermon Bushrod (+1.5). Some good work in the run game ensured he ended with a positive grade, but you need your left tackle to pass block better.
Summary: The often unheralded part of the Saints’ success, the line didn’t get as good play from their tackles as they might have expected, but they got by without Carl Nicks just fine. That owed a lot to Ben Grubbs stepping up. A fine line that looks set for years to come.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/01/28/ranking-the-2012-offensive-lines/4/

As expected. Our tackles struggled more this year but overall, our offensive line was rock solid.

Give it up for De La Puente! :9:

If only we could find half as many gems on the defensive side of the ball.

I will get better, with SP back, and a new line coach coming.

I only see Stinch as the weak link at the moment, he gets pushed back way to quickly and often needs help with recievers chipping the opposing player which then slows them down.

Good. More comments like that might push Bushrod's price down enough that we can hang onto him for a couple more years at least.

I will get better, with SP back, and a new line coach coming.

I only see Stinch as the weak link at the moment, he gets pushed back way to quickly and often needs help with recievers chipping the opposing player which then slows them down.

Stinch was probably out fishing or hunting most of last season....

I think that is very remarkable when taking into consideration everything these guys went through during the season. One of the biggest keys to this offseason is re-signing Bushrod. Make it happen Loomis!

we do need to upgrade both OTs, but the defense needs lots of help, but I think Drew makes them look better , and we can find OTs late or in FA that will play much better for us than some of these teams with poor QB play

I defintely see the FO pursuing an OT in free agency. It is decidedly our weak link, but it is the way they built the line, concentrating on the inner three. De La Puente indeed was a major find, coming out of nowhere to be an excellent player. Hope he keeps it up for many years. Grubbs had a rough first couple of games, then played rock solid the rest of the season.
I don't think Bushrod needs to be replaced for next season, but I know the contract issue will be the decider. He needs to play better than he did this last season, but he has the ability to do so. SP might be all the cure needed to get him back to form (I'm not saying he's an elite LT, but he's been very solid and can be again).
However, I think Strief needs to be replaced at RT. Strief is a solid backup, but he runs out of steam as the game goes on. He's always been a hard worker, a stand up guy and done everything the coaches ask, but someone with more physical skills is needed at this point. I still want him on the team for his attitude, experience, and ability to fill in or come in as third TE to stack up a short running play, but we've got to find someone better play to play for a whole game.

I understand we can upgrade our tackle spots, but we were the #1 passing offense and one of the least sacked QB's. Sure we can use upgrades there but defense is much more pressing.

Getting back to running the ball will help.

I understand we can upgrade our tackle spots, but we were the #1 passing offense and one of the least sacked QB's. Sure we can use upgrades there but defense is much more pressing.

Getting back to running the ball will help.

I agree. OT should only be a priority pick (top 3 rounds) if Bushrod is gone or the value is such that to pass him up would look ridiculous (Fisher at 15 maybe or Johnson in the second or Fluker in the third, or some such.)

Besides some injuries at right tackle it was a good year again. We don't need to have the absolute best at every position. Bushrod is a top half of the league tackle and we should work to keep him. A top 5-10 offensive line with the best quarterback and a good group of skill players ideas plenty good to keep the offense churning out points and yards.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom