Saints come in 6th in PFF Offensive Line ranking (1 Viewer)

Do you see Johnson and Fluker lasting that long?

I don't but stranger things have happened. However, that's the type of scenario I'm talking about where we'd draft a tackle (unless Bushrod goes and we have a real need).

Looks like Johnson will go somewhere from 12 - 28 and Fluker 25 - 50 but you never know.

I agree. OT should only be a priority pick (top 3 rounds) if Bushrod is gone or the value is such that to pass him up would look ridiculous (Fisher at 15 maybe or Johnson in the second or Fluker in the third, or some such.)

Fisher at 15 is my dream. The kid looks really good.

I don't but stranger things have happened. However, that's the type of scenario I'm talking about where we'd draft a tackle (unless Bushrod goes and we have a real need).

Looks like Johnson will go somewhere from 12 - 28 and Fluker 25 - 50 but you never know.

Belfast,

Question:

Assuming Bushrod is gone. I think we should look to replace him in FA.

If you were to target a FA LT (that was affordable) who would it be (Albert, Baker, Beatty, other)?

Also, do you think we lose much if we are forced to go with a rookie (Fisher or Johnson)?

I think one reason for the ol lines consistency that can't be overstated at this point is Aaron Kromer, he's been turning mid and low round selections and free agency pick ups into pro bowlers since he arrived.

When his attention was divided into being head coach last year, the line play suffered. It will be interesting to see if the line has a drop off next year in his absence.

I'm not saying these guys are bums without him, obviously they are talented, smart and work together well and Having a successful offence and smart QB can help cover mistakes as well. But for all his shortcomings as a head coach, Kromer was magic with the o line.

Belfast,

Question:

Assuming Bushrod is gone. I think we should look to replace him in FA.

If you were to target a FA LT (that was affordable) who would it be (Albert, Baker, Beatty, other)?

Also, do you think we lose much if we are forced to go with a rookie (Fisher or Johnson)?

To be honest with you, I have no idea. I would only be guessing as I don't really know who the FA LT's are this year and even if I did, I probably haven't seen enough of them to make anything like an informed comment.

I have a good idea of what we have in Bushrod and Brown. I'm also pretty content that both Fisher and Johnson can be high quality left tackles in the NFL.

The biggest difference about drafting a player or getting one through FA is level of risk: more is known about FA's and the risk of the player turning out badly or underperforming is mitigated. For drafted players there so many unknowns, despite all the scouting, interviewing, etc. Making the transition to the NFL isn't easy and while a player may look great, there's never any guarantee.

The other consideration, however, is that even if Bushrod goes, we still have Brown. So any rookie wouldn't automatically have to start straight away (though with Brown's injury history, it wouldn't shock me if they did).

You can book it now, if we are not able to keep Bushrod then Loomis will sign one of the FA tackles. Anytime in the past where there was a glaring hole prior to the draft Loomis has done his best to fill that hole in FA so as not to have his hands tied forcing a need pick in the draft. I do not see anything changing here. Now due to our cap situation, the FA tackle will prob not be Long or Albert, but one of the mid range guys.

I'd take Chris Faulk in the 4th before I'd burn an early pick on Fluker. Much better tackle and could be a pro bowl type LT, allowing us to move Bushrod over to the right (if he resigns for the right price, which I expect he will).

I'd take Chris Faulk in the 4th before I'd burn an early pick on Fluker. Much better tackle and could be a pro bowl type LT, allowing us to move Bushrod over to the right (if he resigns for the right price, which I expect he will).

Never happen in a million years. LT make way more money than RT, and Bushrod is going to sign a LT contract with either us or another team. No way we pay him LT money to play RT, or any other team for that matter.

Never happen in a million years. LT make way more money than RT, and Bushrod is going to sign a LT contract with either us or another team. No way we pay him LT money to play RT, or any other team for that matter.

You're wrong. What leverage does he have? No one considers Bushrod elite and I don't expect anyone to overpay for him when there are guys like Clady and Long out there.

We made it work with Colston when no one on here thought we would. Same with Moore and PT, and they were much more marketable than Bushrod. He's already hitting the cap for nealy 7 mil. Jake Long will end up getting 8 or 9, so I think with the right contract, we can make it work -- even if we have to backload it and cut him in a few years.

ETA: We signed Stinch in 2009 for roughly 5 mil per year, bigger per year money that Bushrod's current contract. With the new rookie cap, we could draft a LT while paying Bushrod more and still have a low amount invested in the position - which is really what matters. Look at how much we have invested in the guards.

I would like better tackles at both positions, but like some of y'all are saying (and like I've said on other threads) our defensive needs trump our O line needs in the draft and FA. I do expect us to draft an O linemen at some point, but not with our first pick. I'm a proponent of resigning Bushrod b/c we have too many other holes to fill on the team without creating yet another one by letting him go. Of course, Loomis has to work out the right kind of deal, but I'm confident he can get it done. Bushrod is somewhat lacking at pass pro, but we just don't have a lot of other options and, overall, he's a decent LT.

You're wrong. What leverage does he have? No one considers Bushrod elite and I don't expect anyone to overpay for him when there are guys like Clady and Long out there.

We made it work with Colston when no one on here thought we would. Same with Moore and PT, and they were much more marketable than Bushrod. He's already hitting the cap for nealy 7 mil. Jake Long will end up getting 8 or 9, so I think with the right contract, we can make it work -- even if we have to backload it and cut him in a few years.

LOL at this guy. Seriously? You honestly believe we will pay LT money to Bushrod just to slide him over and play RT? Put down the pipe bro

LOL at this guy. Seriously? You honestly believe we will pay LT money to Bushrod just to slide him over and play RT? Put down the pipe bro

Yes, I am serious, Homey. See my edit, Bro. It explains the logic, Dawg.

ETA: We signed Stinch in 2009 for roughly 5 mil per year, bigger per year money that Bushrod's current contract. With the new rookie cap, we could draft a LT while paying Bushrod more and still have a low amount invested in the position - which is really what matters. Look at how much we have invested in the guards.

There are no hard and fast rules in the NFL. Carl Nicks is a guard and he makes more than Tampa's two starting tackles combined. Jahri makes more than Bushrod and Strief. Eris Winston is a RT in KC. He makes $7mil per year while his teammate and LT Donald Stephenson makes less than $500k. Bulaga makes more than Newhouse in Greenbay and Clabo makes double what Baker makes in Atl. It happens all the time.

You're making yourself look silly.

Yes, I am serious, Homey. See my edit, Bro. It explains the logic, Dawg.

There are no hard and fast rules in the NFL. Carl Nicks is a guard and he makes more than Tampa's two starting tackles combined. Jahri makes more than Bushrod and Strief.

You're making yourself look silly.

LMAO you suggest we sign Bushrod to a LT contract just to slide him over to play RT for us, and you think I'm the one who looks silly? Man that is just clueless. That NEVER happens in the NFL dude.

Doesn't matter whether someone overpays for Bushrod or not, he will still be making a substantial amount as a starting LT. No organization pays LT money to someone to have them play RT, a position that is paid drastically less. There isn't a GM in the NFL that stupid

LMAO you suggest we sign Bushrod to a LT contract just to slide him over to play RT for us, and you think I'm the one who looks silly? Man that is just clueless. That NEVER happens in the NFL dude.

Doesn't matter whether someone overpays for Bushrod or not, he will still be making a substantial amount as a starting LT. No organization pays LT money to someone to have them play RT, a position that is paid drastically less. There isn't a GM in the NFL that stupid

Look at my post again, Brah. I justy gave you three examples of current teams that pay their RT's substantially more than their LT's. Heck, we were paying Stinch more money that Bushrod for a few years.

A rookie T taken at 15 will earn under $500K his first year and likely not exceed $2mil before he becomes a FA. If he's better that Bushrod, you can bet your life we will slide him over to the right.

Stop being obtuse and admit you have no earthly idea what you are talking about and we can all move on.

Look at my post again, Brah. I justy gave you three examples of current teams that pay their RT's substantially more than their LT's. Heck, we were paying Stinch more money that Bushrod for a few years.

A rookie T taken at 15 will earn under $500K his first year and likely not exceed $2mil before he becomes a FA. If he's better that Bushrod, you can bet your life we will slide him over to the right.

Stop being obtuse and admit you have no earthly idea what you are talking about and we can all move on.

Dude I am really starting to feel sorry for you as you are seriously embarrassing yourself. Anyone with a hint of football IQ knows LT's make more $ than RT, its a fact. Lets stick to facts here since those are not debatable and I am honestly starting to believe you will argue the sun coming up in the morning. Name me the last time an organization paid a player starting LT money just to slide him over and play RT. I am waiting......

Furthermore, considering our serious cap implications. If Loomis were to follow your advice and pay Bushrod LT money just to play him at RT, we would be engaging in salary cap suicide. Nothing you suggest makes a lick of sense

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom