Saints could get extra 3rd round picks (1 Viewer)

BlackandGoldXLIV

Lurkules (since 2001)
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Didn't see if this was posted.

Under the new rule, any team that loses a minority coach or executive to a head coach or GM job will be compensated with two third-round picks that will be awarded as one pick in two consecutive years. If a team loses a second employee to a head coach or GM job, then that club will receive three third-round picks that will be spread out over three consecutive years.

According to NFL.com, Saints VP/Assistant GM for Pro Personnel Terry Fontenot is currently the favorite to land the Falcons' general manager job. If Atlanta ends up hiring Fontenot, that means the Saints will get two third-round picks out of it.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...-a-new-nfl-rule-and-the-saints-could-be-next/

Sweet.

I don't understand this rule. I don't understand the goal. Is this to encourage teams to hire minority coaches and front office people in the hopes that another team will hire them away? It seems counterintuitive to me. If teams were awarded picks for hiring minorities, that makes sense. But for losing them? I'm not trying to be obtuse but I honestly don't understand the rationale behind it.

Did I miss something as to why only certain people can give a team picks. Honest question

Yeah I'm a little confused about this rule. I hadn't even heard about until this week. At first I thought there was a new rule about getting picks for losing personnel like when you lose a player, but then I found out it was only for minorities.

I don't understand this rule. I don't understand the goal. Is this to encourage teams to hire minority coaches and front office people in the hopes that another team will hire them away? It seems counterintuitive to me. If teams were awarded picks for hiring minorities, that makes sense. But for losing them? I'm not trying to be obtuse but I honestly don't understand the rationale behind it.
Well, there is a lack of minorities in the higher ranks of the NFL. So, if a team has prepared a minority to get elevated in one of those higher ranks, then that team will gain draft picks, if the candidate is promoted to said job. It’s sad that it has come to this, but this is the reality of the situation. The NFL tried with the Rooney Rule, but it honestly didn’t really make an impact.

Instead of it being a direct "we get additional draft picks if we hire person x." It rewards teams for developing qualified candidates. The hiring team still hires the best person for the job...as it should be...If it happens to be a minority the team that developed him and put him in position to get hired away gets rewarded. It's a lot better than a direct payoff for hiring someone of a particular race.

Instead of it being a direct "we get additional draft picks if we hire person x." It rewards teams for developing qualified candidates. The hiring team still hires the best person for the job...as it should be...If it happens to be a minority the team that developed him and put him in position to get hired away gets rewarded. It's a lot better than a direct payoff for hiring someone of a particular race.

Thanks for breaking it down. I can see it a little clearer now. But if you're developing a person and investing in them it seems like you'd want to keep them as opposed to getting a few draft picks.

To me this rule could open up some greasy situations. But in theory it should help diversity in the league and that's a good thing. It was pretty cool to see the 49ers hire Saleh. A Muslim was hired to be the head coach of a NFL team. And not because he's Muslim but because he earned it. That's awesome.

It rewards teams that develop coaches or front office personnel to get to the next level. For instance Terry Fontenot has been with New Orleans for 16 years and could be a potential replacement for Loomis one day. So the Saints do everything they can to keep him in house and deny people the chance to talk to him. Just think about Nick Caserio,(I know he isn't a minority candidate) of the Patriots. The Texans tired to hire him 2 years ago but the Pats said no and filed tampering charges against the Texans. Now the Texans signed him 2 years later than they wanted.

Did I miss something as to why only certain people can give a team picks. Honest question
My guess is it incentives teams to not only find quality minority coaches but empower them to seek upward mobility.

However they see it, if it works or is even a positive thing remains to be seen.

Thanks for breaking it down. I can see it a little clearer now. But if you're developing a person and investing in them it seems like you'd want to keep them as opposed to getting a few draft picks.

To me this rule could open up some greasy situations. But in theory it should help diversity in the league and that's a good thing. It was pretty cool to see the 49ers hire Saleh. A Muslim was hired to be the head coach of a NFL team. And not because he's Muslim but because he earned it. That's awesome.

I'm sure we'd love to keep Fontenot. We don't have a GM spot for him. If Aaron Glenn ends up getting a head coaching job at some point, it doesn't mean we didn't want to keep him.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom