Article Saints could give Teddy Bridgewater the transition tag (1 Viewer)

Tag would pay Teddy the average of the top 5 QBs in the league.
All on 2019 cap.

The article says that the tag "would pay the average salary of the top 10 highest paid players at the tagged player’s position, or 120 percent of what the player earned in the previous season." So, why does the article say Bridgewater would get paid $20 million? Wouldn't it be 120% of what last year's salary was?

The article says that the tag "would pay the average salary of the top 10 highest paid players at the tagged player’s position, or 120 percent of what the player earned in the previous season." So, why does the article say Bridgewater would get paid $20 million? Wouldn't it be 120% of what last year's salary was?
It's whichever is greater. Bridgewater was on $6 million if I remember rightly, so he'd get $20 million rather than $7.2 million.

I thought 5 top. But regardless its the higher of the 2 120% or top 5 or 10.

Article is bunk. It is top 5 players at the position. 2019 for QB is 25 mil.
Check over the cap

Article is bunk. It is top 5 players at the position. 2019 for QB is 25 mil.
Check over the cap

I'm not sure what you're looking at, but transition tag is top 10.

Transition tag: Think of this as the "you are pretty good, and we might want to keep you, but aren't willing to put a ring on you ourselves" tag. The transition designation is a one-year tender offer to a player for an amount that is the average of the top 10 salaries at the position -- as opposed to top five. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player might receive from another team, but no compensation if the team chooses not to match.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-to-know-about-nfl-franchise-tag-designations

Regardless on number of years.
QB for 2019 is between 23 and 25 mil.

Translation tag is 23mil franchise tag 25 mil. Neither a good option for Teddy.

https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orlea...NIoTdteV8ZrNy7LfOgj6xlyFLnw5AsdJPo1GzHtuz2NJU

We don’t and won’t have the cap space to sign a backup QB for 20 million.

Would this be a good move? How does this even work? If another team offers Teddy starting QB money and a multi-year deal, but we'd only be on the hook for one year for $20 million?

The wording in this article makes it sound almost exactly like a franchise tag. No way we pay $20/million for one year for a back-up QB.

This would be a bad move. We wouldn’t be able to sign other free agents and we don’t need him.

I’d let him go and sign Fitzpatrick as backup for cheap...If next year is Brees last let him break down film and what not with a vet not some rookie through the draft...He showed he can win some games too last year and familiar with the NFC South. I think he could do okay in our offense

I personally don't agree with the expense that comes with the tag. I would love to keep him around and I will get flamed for this, but at what point do we get a discount from Drew to build around him? I mean this is it for him and if winning is the goal, then we could use some help to sign some FA's since we don't have much draft assets. We also need to plan for the future so it's tough if not impossible to have two high salaried QB's on the roster and still field a good team.

I know Drew has earned every penny and more so it's more of wishful thinking on my part, but we have a few areas of need and an extra 5-7 million with Loomis could earn us one or two extra players that can help us. The team seems to be going "all in" and I just wish Drew would assist that effort ala Tom Brady.

Sorry, but retaining Teddy Bridgewater just isn't this serious IMO and quite honestly I still don't quite get why we shelled out a third round pick for a one-year rental.

Just an absolute strange move for a very average, at best, quarterback.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom