Article Saints could give Teddy Bridgewater the transition tag (1 Viewer)

dutar76

7th year itch
Reaction score
https://247sports.com/nfl/new-orlea...NIoTdteV8ZrNy7LfOgj6xlyFLnw5AsdJPo1GzHtuz2NJU

The transition tag is a cheaper version of the franchise tag option, allowing a player to get offers from other interested teams. The tag offers a team the right of first refusal when it comes to one of their unrestricted free agents. Such a tag gives the free agent slightly more leverage than he would have under the franchise tag.

But it is also a benefit for the team that applies it, as the tagging franchise has the benefit of an opportunity to match the terms of the contract the player would sign elsewhere.

Like a franchise tag, the transition tag arrangement comes with a one year contract. According to league rules, the deal would pay the average salary of the top 10 highest paid players at the tagged player’s position, or 120 percent of what the player earned in the previous season.

“The transition tag at quarterback is expected to top $20 million,” the report notes.

Would this be a good move? How does this even work? If another team offers Teddy starting QB money and a multi-year deal, but we'd only be on the hook for one year for $20 million?

The wording in this article makes it sound almost exactly like a franchise tag. No way we pay $20/million for one year for a back-up QB.

I guess the advantage would consist in the Saints getting draft picks as compensation. Given their pitiful lack of draft picks, it makes sense to me, unless I am missing something.

I guess the advantage would consist in the Saints getting draft picks as compensation. Given their pitiful lack of draft picks, it makes sense to me, unless I am missing something.

I don’t think they get anything, other than 7 days to match the offer. I’m sure the cap gurus on the site can help explain

That if no one signs Bridgewater, you are paying the backup QB 20 million dollars.

no way that happens. they would have to likely cut players to get under the cap. they need to bring in more talent. he isnt THAT good.

Let Teddy go. If we won the Super Bowl this past year maybe id feel differently, but we need that money for more pressing needs.

I don’t think you get any pick compensation on the transition tag.

I like Teddy a lot.

But this would be quite a risk. That $20 M could go a long way towards a) stacking this 2019 roster with a couple FA for one last run with Brees, b) locking up one or more of our young stars long-term or c) both.

We would really have to hope he reaches a long-term agreement with us or someone else.

I honestly believe that the Saints will go “ALL IN” once again for the 2019/2020 season. This is the final year of Brees’ contract and there are no guarantees that he will play beyond next season. We have all the “key” pieces to make another run... all we need is a storyline that the NFL likes enough to allow us to get to the big game.... a Brees Farewell Tour might be enough to make that happen.

I think they will spend as much $$ as they can in free agency to bring in another slot WR, a solid all-around TE, some OL depth and DL depth. Draft BPA all the way through.

Would we get a compensatory pick in the event he left in free agency?

I'm looking at the paragraph that says that the player can go from transition tag to RFA, resulting in compensation. Is that information incorrect? Maybe the snow is clouding my alleged brain.

Bridgewater isn't commanding a $20M contract.

No way we transition tag him. Not even sure we have the cap space to do that.

We did trade a 3rd rounder for him, so clearly there was interest. We'll see how much that translates into dollars.

He didn't look anything like a $20 million quarterback last year, or frankly at any time in his career. He showed some promise in his first couple of years, but that was a long time ago. Until he proves otherwise he's "just a guy" and should be paid accordingly.

Way to expensive and all of it would be on 2019.
Stupid stupid idea.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom