Saints counting on Sophomore Surge.... (1 Viewer)

meily

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score

On Baun:

"If he stays at strongside linebacker, Baun probably won’t see many more snaps than he did last year. When the Saints drafted him, they said they envisioned him as a potential middle linebacker in the future -- and there is an opening"

On Ruiz:

"The Saints initially considered using Ruiz at center and moving 2019 second-rounder Erik McCoy to right guard instead. But the diminished offseason made that harder to do. And now McCoy has performed so well at center for two straight years that the Saints might just decide to keep Ruiz at right guard permanently."

On Trautman:

“I can remember watching him at the Senior Bowl and thinking, ‘There’s some George Kittle to this dude,’” Miller said. “Now, you never want to write that or say that because then people will hear it like, ‘Oh, he’s gonna be George Kittle.’ But ... it’s really easy to fall in love with his game because he’s physical, he’s tough and he’s versatile.’”

the biggest question is where to play Baun, as I thought Davis was the Mike but could he be moving back to the weakside? and Baun plays the Mike position with Eliss as the Sam? and Ruiz is a natural center and I believe that is where they will play him, he looks undersized at guard and McCoy has the build to slide over to guard and Trautman his assessment was spot on to me, he looks like he could be like a George Kittle for the Saints.

On Baun:

"If he stays at strongside linebacker, Baun probably won’t see many more snaps than he did last year. When the Saints drafted him, they said they envisioned him as a potential middle linebacker in the future -- and there is an opening"

On Ruiz:

"The Saints initially considered using Ruiz at center and moving 2019 second-rounder Erik McCoy to right guard instead. But the diminished offseason made that harder to do. And now McCoy has performed so well at center for two straight years that the Saints might just decide to keep Ruiz at right guard permanently."

On Trautman:

“I can remember watching him at the Senior Bowl and thinking, ‘There’s some George Kittle to this dude,’” Miller said. “Now, you never want to write that or say that because then people will hear it like, ‘Oh, he’s gonna be George Kittle.’ But ... it’s really easy to fall in love with his game because he’s physical, he’s tough and he’s versatile.’”

the biggest question is where to play Baun, as I thought Davis was the Mike but could he be moving back to the weakside? and Baun plays the Mike position with Eliss as the Sam? and Ruiz is a natural center and I believe that is where they will play him, he looks undersized at guard and McCoy has the build to slide over to guard and Trautman his assessment was spot on to me, he looks like he could be like a George Kittle for the Saints.
Trautman was rated #1 run blocking TE in the NFL. That's impressive.

I remember when the Saints signed a DE from the Rams, and had the vision that that player could become their MLB... that player was Charlie Clemons. Remember him? If not, it’s because he didn’t work out.

If you don’t know history, you’re doomed to repeat it.

Both Baun and Ruiz (especially Ruiz) are starting to feel like bad picks IMHO.

On Baun:

On Ruiz:

On Trautman:

Is this an admission of guilt? I never understood the Ruiz logic, move a high-performing center. Who were the other players we liked who were available? It almost sounds like Peat 2.0.

Baun needs to play EDGE. Look at his college highlights. He has the bend and speed to rush the passer. They won’t do it though because they are so focused on Davenport and of course Cam has the LE spot. Cam needs to move inside. And rush Baun off the edge on most downs. This team doesn’t really like lighter edge rushers though. Baun will be just as good as any rookie you draft at 28 unless Jaelan Phillips drops. If they pull these moves with Baun and Jordan it frees up so much in the draft.

I don’t like Baun at MLB because he’s not that good in coverage.

Trautman was rated #1 run blocking TE in the NFL. That's impressive.
Trautmans blocking prowess is why i was more than fine with the Saints moving off of Josh Hill. Trautman at this point in his career is superior to him in everyway and should be the starting/main TE. Hopefully N.O can find another pass catching TE in the draft. Itll help them control the middle of the field and provide matchups opposing Ds cant defend. Plus it will open up the run game and make the WRs more open.

Baun needs to play EDGE. Look at his college highlights. He has the bend and speed to rush the passer. They won’t do it though because they are so focused on Davenport and of course Cam has the LE spot. Cam needs to move inside. And rush Baun off the edge on most downs. This team doesn’t really like lighter edge rushers though. Baun will be just as good as any rookie you draft at 28 unless Jaelan Phillips drops. If they pull these moves with Baun and Jordan it frees up so much in the draft.

I don’t like Baun at MLB because he’s not that good in coverage.
Baun would smothered into the ground as an Edge. Too light.

Is this an admission of guilt? I never understood the Ruiz logic, move a high-performing center. Who were the other players we liked who were available? It almost sounds like Peat 2.0.
Because he didn’t have the training camp and off-season to learn to call all the plays and protection. This year has always been where they flip them to Ruiz being center

If you don’t know history, you’re doomed to repeat it.

Both Baun and Ruiz (especially Ruiz) are starting to feel like bad picks IMHO.

"Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it."

Learn, being the key word. Big difference. Most here can confidently say the Saints and their front office have learned from their mistakes. Just look at the last four drafts.

Even then, I honestly find it hard calling two rookies who came in on one of the weirdest seasons to ever occur bad picks. Especially when the former was already noted for needing time in a weight room.

Trautmans blocking prowess is why i was more than fine with the Saints moving off of Josh Hill. Trautman at this point in his career is superior to him in everyway and should be the starting/main TE. Hopefully N.O can find another pass catching TE in the draft. Itll help them control the middle of the field and provide matchups opposing Ds cant defend. Plus it will open up the run game and make the WRs more open.
If I recall correctly, Trautman wasn't called upon to block much in college--so that's something he learned from Saints coaches, probably Dan Campbell in the main.

Because he didn’t have the training camp and off-season to learn to call all the plays and protection. This year has always been where they flip them to Ruiz being center
I know but the article makes it sound like they are changing course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom