Saints cut K Kai Forbath (merged) (1 Viewer)

I don't get this ploy. Basically you are playing with backups in week 1 to save a few bucks? What if lulz misses 3 kicks and an xp? Was it worth it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I know right! That's EXACTLY what he is thinking IMO.

Rap tweeted this ( I don't think anyone posted it in this thread yet), so maybe this guy really looked great in practice. <shrug>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Will Lutz worked out for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a>, got a recommendation from <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Ravens?src=hash">#Ravens</a> and was headed to the practice squad. Now? He’s the starter, Forbath cut</p>— Ian Rapoport (@RapSheet) <a href="https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/773259135920009216">September 6, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

But yeah....I'd bet he'll be gone and Forbath back on Monday.

I don't get this ploy. Basically you are playing with backups in week 1 to save a few bucks? What if lulz misses 3 kicks and an xp? Was it worth it?

This. I am confounded by these two moves. The ability of our kicker to do his job could be the difference between 1-0 and 0-1... and we just cut BOTH vets to go with a totally unproven rookie from Georgia State?

This is either a salary cap move and Forbath will probably be back. Or something happened to Morstead. From Wil Lutz bio:

2015: Second-team All-Sun Belt selection at punter ... Nominated for the Ray Guy Award as top collegiate punter ... Averaged 44.3 yards on 65 punts, the second-best season average in school history ... 12-for-19 on field goals and 42-43 on PAT for 78 points, just two points shy of the Georgia State season record.

Interesting. Crazy. What is going on?

At best, being charitable about benefit of the doubt, this is a straight up huge gamble with what could be a very close game (if the team shows up) hanging in the balance.

Maybe Cap Hell is a real thing after all.

This. I am confounded by these two moves. The ability of our kicker to do his job could be the difference between 1-0 and 0-1... and we just cut BOTH vets to go with a totally unproven rookie from Georgia State?
:covri:

Everyone is assuming that Forbath will be back next week since that's what's happening with Finnegan. But what if they think Lutz is an upgrade and have no intention of bringing Forbath back? We shall see. It would be nice to find a reliable young kicker for the long term.

Everyone is assuming that Forbath will be back next week since that's what's happening with Finnegan. But what if they think Lutz is an upgrade and have no intention of bringing Forbath back? We shall see. It would be nice to find a reliable young kicker for the long term.
What you are asking us to believe is that the same decision makes who have gone through 12 kickers including Hopkins in 10 seasons could look at this kicker who was 68% accurate in college and had limited work in preseason and think they saw enough to sign him on the spot, with no longer term body of work to directly observe.

If this is in fact how it went down, then it explains why we have gone through 12 kickers.

Right now the roster currently sits at 52. I'm waiting to see if we sign someone else or someone from the Practice squad gets bumped up.

I'm thinking in terms of cap space. If they don't guarantee Forbath and Finnegan's salaires and they're cut, they can recycle that allocated cap space into their replacements.

No new offensive lineman ... only 7 on the roster.
7 RBs/FB on the roster.
A new kicker.
So, this kicker is better than Barth and Forbath?

Puzzled.

One thing for sure, Payton dealing with kickers is not a comforting thought.

No new offensive lineman ... only 7 on the roster.
7 RBs/FB on the roster.
A new kicker.
So, this kicker is better than Barth and Forbath?

Puzzled.

One thing for sure, Payton dealing with kickers is not a comforting thought.
They are gambling for sure.

Serious OL and CB depth issues and they are loading up with RBs, working out WRs and playing games with the kicker while actually cutting a veteran CB.

Huge gamble.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom