Saints cut Warford (merged) (3 Viewers)

If this is the case, some other team has a chance to get a starting OG for cheap.

Not necessarily, it may mean that a team overpays for a supposed starting OG only to have him come into camp out of shape...it is a risk...so much so that Warford had zero trade value....

I don't find it surprising at all, the Saints had zero leverage to trade him when you take into account his salary and his sudden drop off in play...

I wholly disagree. SP Saints brought him in as a FA, it's not like he is from a prior regime...I really don't think SP plays favorites, I think he holds grudges though. And if a high priced young G comes in to camp out of shape and his play regresses throughout the season and he is on the last year of a pricey deal...well....see ya...

He could have been more patient with him and given him another year to prove himself, get in shape and compete for a starting spot...but, that is a very expensive proposition and the Saints need more quality depth at other positions namely DL and DB's....

This is fairly obvious to any NFL team that watches film....

I think some team will sign him in the next month or so. IF he can get and stay in shape he is a quality starting G. I felt (like others) that Peat was the weak link on the oline, maybe we were wrong, we will see....

Conditioning is not something that is incredibly easy to see. I mean, how many of us suspected that Warford was out if shape before Underhill mentioned it? Many of us saw that he wasn’t playing great but almost everyone thought that Peat played worse. I wish that Underhill and Payton kept their thoughts to themselves because it easily could have been the difference of a 5th round pick and nothing.

All I remember from him is penalty after penalty. Got to be someone else out there you could find for a tenth of his asking price that can give you all those defensive penalties....:)
Ehhhh... I feel you, but a lot of Apple’s late season issues came after that hyperextended knee in Chicago. He wasn’t the same after that.

Cornerback is always a depth concern over a full season, so I’d happily welcome back a guy who not only showed good flashes while healthy, but one who also has a head start on Allen’s system.

Don't think they could trade him because of $8million+ owed on the last year of his deal (which was restructured last September, btw). Teams thinking they can sign him for about 1/2 that number. Going into 2019 season Warford was seen as a key player for the Saints, an two-time Pro Bowler still in his prime playing years. Not sure what happened. Had a bad day against the Vikes in the playoffs for sure, but I guess it went deeper than that.

If his salary was much lower we would have kept him. And if his salary was lower we could have flipped him.

But his cap take in was 14 million. Not many teams are going to trade for that. He also suited up on the same line with All Pro caliber tackles and center.

The Saints could very well him back and re-sign Wharford to a cheaper contract. Bring him back to compete for his position. Personally I believe we may be using the money to after someone in FA.

The Saints could very well him back and re-sign Wharford to a cheaper contract. Bring him back to compete for his position. Personally I believe we may be using the money to after someone in FA.

I think the more the coaches thought about the “competition” thing, the more they thought that it’s a dumb idea. They are going to want Ruiz and McCoy getting as much work with the first string as possible in this unusual offseason. Letting Warford compete for the job would probably just delay the young guys’ development.

He’s not coming back to “compete for a spot” because that would be ridiculous after getting cut. He’s going to sign with any team that will offer him a starting position.

Everson g Logan Ryan or clowney ( if his price comes down)

I am not down on Eli Apple as most are but he really can only play on the outside and that’s Janoris’s spot. Now if Apple wants to come in as back up to Jenkins I’m all for it but something tells me he wants to start . Logan Ryan can play slot and makes a lot of sense imo
Yup, Logan for sure over Apple cuz he can play slot & outside. Everson G. would make our DLine as good if not better than the 9ers. But I wouldn't be surprised if CSP goes after Carlos Hyde too since he has given him high praise for his versatility. Choices man..

I wholly disagree. SP Saints brought him in as a FA, it's not like he is from a prior regime...I really don't think SP plays favorites, I think he holds grudges though. And if a high priced young G comes in to camp out of shape and his play regresses throughout the season and he is on the last year of a pricey deal...well....see ya...

it also didn’t help Warfords chances that on the interior line he’s the only player that can’t play multiple positions. it seems that the plan for the online is to have a bunch of guys who can fill in a bunch of spots — and for the cost, Warford wasn’t going to provide enough versatility.

I wasn’t one of the ones who saw a significant drop in play, aside from the Atlanta game in the Dome and of course, the Vikings game. But, I did find the comments from Underhill about LWs lack of speed was interesting.

This past season our screen game definitely regressed a bit. Some of that can be attributed to the injury to Kamara, but I wonder how much of it was Warford not being able to get out on blocks due to lack of speed or just dogging it.

Either way, seems like the writing was on the wall for Warford. He just wasn’t working the way Payton wanted it.

Conditioning is not something that is incredibly easy to see. I mean, how many of us suspected that Warford was out if shape before Underhill mentioned it? Many of us saw that he wasn’t playing great but almost everyone thought that Peat played worse. I wish that Underhill and Payton kept their thoughts to themselves because it easily could have been the difference of a 5th round pick and nothing.

I agree, I also thought Peat was the weak link (like most of us) but I trust the coaching staff who knows a lot more about the player than I do. I stated this weeks ago on a thread someone started about trading Warford for a 4th or 5th pick, they were never going to be able to trade Warford and his salary, and we would most likely cut him....I was right (for once!!!!!)....but in the end it is too bad, he was an improving player and by all accounts a hard working young G and had a few good years for us...it is just unfortunate....People often assume a player is just going to keep improving but often, due to injury or work ethic issues (or both) that doesn't happen...

I think the more the coaches thought about the “competition” thing, the more they thought that it’s a dumb idea. They are going to want Ruiz and McCoy getting as much work with the first string as possible in this unusual offseason. Letting Warford compete for the job would probably just delay the young guys’ development.

Great point, I agree...

it also didn’t help Warfords chances that on the interior line he’s the only player that can’t play multiple positions.

Another great point, this probably made the decision to cut him a bit easier....

Warford was not traded because nobody wanted to trade for him. It take one team to want him enough to trade a draft pick, it takes two teams to make a market. There were not two teams interested enough. He will sign with somebody and he will either come into camp out of shape or ready to play. I think the Saints figured he was coming in out of shape. The difficulty of any interested teams in having him take a physical, might limit his offers, unless some team does not care and is desperate. On where the Saints plan to spend that money, I think it is corner, with Logan Ryan being the favorite and Eli Apple being in second place. I think Griffen, while intriguing, might be a little bit too unstable in the head and too much of a risk, but would be a great addition if his head is on straight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom