SAINTS CUTS TO THE FINAL 53 (plus other teams notable cuts) (3 Viewers)

I'd imagine a part of waiting until the last minute is so that they don't give a bubble guy false hope that he's made the team when in reality, he could be replaced by any of the guys already cut.

Lets say we did come out with our list yesterday and Murphy or Hightower "make the final cut." But then some time overnight we strike a deal with Dexter McCluster and now Murphy has to go. Or what if some random practice squad candidate like Lampman thinks he is about to sign with the P.S. only for us to sign someone else that becomes available?

Yeah, I know that sort of thing happens and it is a part of the business, but I'd imagine teams would like to limit those situations the best they can by waiting as long as they can.

I'd imagine a part of waiting until the last minute is so that they don't give a bubble guy false hope that he's made the team when in reality, he could be replaced by any of the guys already cut.

Lets say we did come out with our list yesterday and Murphy or Hightower "make the final cut." But then some time overnight we strike a deal with Dexter McCluster and now Murphy has to go. Or what if some random practice squad candidate like Lampman thinks he is about to sign with the P.S. only for us to sign someone else that becomes available?

Yeah, I know that sort of thing happens and it is a part of the business, but I'd imagine teams would like to limit those situations the best they can by waiting as long as they can.

I think that really is a big part of it. Payton is imperfect like the rest of us, but I give him credit for being considerate of players. The reason he doesn't want to ever do "Hard Knocks" is because he refuses to cut a player on camera. I respect him for that. It's hard enough on a player when he gets cut, no reason to make it any worse for him.

I would think two others things might be in play:
Easier to sneak your guys onto PS when dozens are dumped at same time (last minute)
Waiting to get word on other cuts to see if you want to keep your guy

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Before we get started, let me answer your question: I don&#8217;t know if &#8220;name&#8221; offensive lineman released today will end up with the Saints.</p>&mdash; Nick Underhill (@nick_underhill) <a href="https://twitter.com/nick_underhill/status/772070986636144641">September 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dolphins cutting OL Jamil Douglas. Fourth round pick last year who had six starts as a rookie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Bengals have released G Alex Cooper, source says.</p>&mdash; Katherine Terrell (@Kat_Terrell) <a href="https://twitter.com/Kat_Terrell/status/772131795122794496">September 3, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom