Saints D needs to know Jack (Duncan Article re: OLB) (1 Viewer)

saintsfanfl

They call me Boudreaux
Reaction score
RR's name for the pass rushing OLB in the 3-4 is the "Jack" position.

The Saints don't have a player named Jack on their 89-man offseason roster. But if they want to return to the NFC playoffs, they need to find a "Jack" somewhere on their defense.

Confused? Don't be. This Jack talk is all new to New Orleans. It arrived here only a few months ago with defensive coordinator Rob Ryan and the 3-4 defense.

The Jack is the Saints' term for the pass-rushing outside linebacker position in their new defensive scheme. The spot is called different things in different 3-4 systems. Some teams call it "the elephant." Others call it "the star." Ryan calls it "Jack," and it might be the most important name on the roster other than Drew.

New Orleans Saints' defense needs to know 'Jack' this season | NOLA.com

I'm Jacked for a better defense this year.

WHODAT!!

This article is a perfect example of why so many of us don't like Jeff Duncan. His tone in his articles is always on the negative side.

Here is just one example:

The Saints don't have a rusher as dominant as Ware on their roster. This, after all, is a defense that surrendered the most yards in NFL history a year ago and hasn't had a defender post double digit sacks in a season since 2009.

What the Saints do have, though, is an assortment of talented athletes, who together might equal the production of a Ware. That's the hope anyway.

First, we know that there is no current "star" defensive player at this position, and how we are very aware of the historically bad defensive numbers from last season. However, Galette, for one, has shown a great deal of promise, considering he had 5 sacks while only playing part-time. While he does mention his productivity later in the article, it's this maddening tone of "well, we'll see" when he writes about the Saints, such as suggesting perhaps they will have a "Jack" by committee approach, which he implies will not work either (the "when you have two starting QBs, you don't have one" comment).

In the quote above, his "that's the hope, anyway" is unnecessary because of the previous use of "might" in the sentence, except to relay to the reader the author's attitude toward the situation about which he writes, otherwise known as the "tone."

I will only mention his lack of ability at times to create better flow in his writing, such as the awful "The Jack in Dallas was perennial All-Pro DeMarcus Ware. He produced 31 sacks in Ryan's two seasons there and whom Ryan refers to as a future Hall of Famer" with its awkward relative clause. (A smoother way to put this would be "The Jack in Dallas was perennial All-Pro DeMarcus Ware, whom Ryan refers to as a future Hall of Famer. He produced 31 sacks in Ryan's two seasons there." See the difference?) It's fairly obvious that his ability to write is pedestrian as far as his place among professional writers goes.

So while I am sure that he is probably a nice guy, he does not endear himself to his readers in any way. I know it's not really his job to present everything as all rosy, but the constant negativity where the Saints are concerned is probably due to other factors which some of you have expressed in the past, but of which I have no personal knowledge, so I will only mention it since so many of us are aware of the rumors surrounding those reasons.

Anyway, that's my take. It's the tone that I think bothers so many here. And it's the tone when relaying news to the masses that tells the true story of the slant of the news.

I'm interested in the subject but I really don't want to give him any traffic. Thanks for the warning it was a Duncan article.

If it's not clear that there is one "Jack," doesn't that make the defense more unpredictable?

Duncan is a negative Nancy and I personally don't know how he still has a job. I think that I am one of the most critical of all the Saints fans on this forum, and Duncan annoys me. It is as clear as day that he writes for the purpose of trolling Saints fans.

Is WOLB a concern? If Will Smith is our starting WOLB that's a big concern. Any Saints fan who doesn't thinki it is a concern is in denial. But though Duncsn may be somewhat right...he has lost all credibility.

Totally agree

:angryrazz:
I'm sorry, but I can't take anything Jeff "Scooter" Duncan writes as something worth taking seriously. Dude has zero cred with me. I'd like to see him become the beat writer for the Falcons.
He is Fredo to me, and U know the way Michael felt he had to deal with Fredo.
:gosaints:

Thanks Jeff, now we know we dont have a Ware or Matthews on the team. Great reporting.

Sent from phone via Tapatalk

Jack! Hmmmmm or maybe the Si linebacker. :-O. Ok thats lame it sounded better in my head.

Jeff sucks, jeff don't got cred, yada, yada...yet you still coment on him thus giving him cred!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom