saints' D ranks since apple was acquired (1 Viewer)

And to think, the day we got him, someone posted a thread saying that was the day our locker room died, Saints would never make a Super Bowl with him on the roster, blah blah blah.

I’ll admit to not loving the move when we made it because of his sketchy past but I’ll happily eat all the crow ?

T-1st for INTs (7)
T-5th in Scoring Defense (19 ppg)
13th in Total Defense (346.5 yards pg)
3rd in Takeaways (8)

That puts it all in perspective. Crowley was every bit as bad as we suspected. Even when he came in during mop up time he was torched. Poor guy seems to have lost his confidence. He is better than this.

T-1st for INTs (7)
T-5th in Scoring Defense (19 ppg)
13th in Total Defense (346.5 yards pg)
3rd in Takeaways (8)
Now it is 308.25 per game which would have us at #3 and 19 ppg is tied for #3 now. Also we have held the last four opponents under their current per game scoring average. All that says we have a top 10 defense since Apple was added to the mix.

If Apple keeps getting better every week, this may turn out to be the trade of the season.

Apple was still a top ten pick which means he can run. All he needed was a change of scenery and for some team to use him correctly.

Apple's performance is his way of showing appreciation for being pulled out of a dumpster fire and onto a bullet train heading for Atlanta.
If he really has been instrumental in helping to make this defensive turnaround, then he really is the trade of the season! :9:

Correlation or causation? Because check it out: Saints' defensive stats since Hendrickson has played DE have gone up tremendously.

Correlation or causation? Because check it out: Saints' defensive stats since Hendrickson has played DE have gone up tremendously.

I like adding an Apple into the mix a lot; however, I think a good part of the defense's play is the unit as a whole grasping the defensive playbook and what opposing offenses are doing. We tend to forget we have 3 guys on the back seven who are just in their second year (Lattimore, Williams, and Anzalone). Anzalone for all practical purposes is almost a rookie with all the time he missed. Also, we have a great LB in Demario Davis, but it is still his first year in this defense.

Overall coverage is better. Better coverage is leading to QB's holding the ball that extra second it takes for Jordan, Davenport, Okafor and Rankins to get to the QB. The # of sacks prior to Apple vs # sacks since Apple will tell the story.

Wow Crawley was literally that bad huh

Crazy how one player can change A whole unit. PJ also looks like a completely different player. He’s been killing it in slot.

Also anyone notice that the QB never throws to lats side. Literally like once a game.... it’s like he isn’t even on the field.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom