Saints DB's (1 Viewer)

WHAT?!!! McKenzie was one of the only guys playing out there...

I usually rewatch the games on my DVR at some point, so i'm not going to counter your statement. I was just speaking on the way I felt after the game. Maybe I am being a little Harsh on McKenzie,

But the tape/ DVR never lies.

Above all, one thing is certain.......
I dont need a DVR or a tape to conclude that Craft is terrible.

The loss of Harper has set our DB's way back. He was great against the run and the pass.
Deloatch was terrible yesterday! He blew a bunch of plays!
I agree. Although Fred Thomas is past his prime, we need him out there. Our cornerbacks behind McKenzie and Thomas are just no good, and it showed yesterday.

Like most of you guys Harper was on my mind as Parker ran for the two long runs.
Who knows he may have been covering a TE, but I know frowm watching him at AL and early in the year, he can "Lay the wood" against the run!!
Obviously, we have to get a corner in FA and draft one by the second round.
We have to trust in our coach during the draft!!!
So when we draft the next Marques coslton or Champ Bailey in the 3rd round, we won't say, "What the hey??" "What are they thinking?)
I still remember scractching my head when we selected Harper......
I'm still scratching my head about Harper..
Just now I am wondering about how GOOD our defense would be with him.

No one else has mentioned the fact that Bullocks is sorely lacking in the tackling technique department. Three seperate plays yesterday I distinctly recall seeing Bullocks lower his shoulder, go for a jacked up highlight and bounce off the ball carrier. Not even an attempt at wrapping up. His run support is weak at best, and his coverage hasn't been much to write home about either.

Just me, or did anyone else notice this?

On a side note, on the second Parker run, McKenzie did not hold contain on the outside edge, leading to the run by Parker. But big ups to McKenzie for running Parker down from behind. Just too bad he couldn't tackle him on the next play.

our secondary {mod edit - violation of Posting Guidelines - find a better way of expressing yourself}, okay so mckenzie is okay on run defense and is a great 2nd corner, but him being our 1 is no good, bullocks is horrible, i kno he is young, but he looked bad, we really miss harper, but our secondary right now {mod edit - same}

Last edited by a moderator:
Where are the linebackers on all of these runs to the outside? Everyone seems to put the blame on the secondary for run support. Why? I agree that they should play a part in run defense, but containing the run is primarily the front sevens job. Our MLB seems like he can't get off blocks. They put a hat on him, whether it be fullback, tightend or lineman, and he's done for the night. He can't shed a block to save his life.

I agree that Bullocks had a bad game in coverage and against the run as well. Really both safeties were not all that hot in the game IMO.

our linebackers {mod edit - violation of Posting Guidelines - find a better way of expressing yourself} too, fujita is the only one who should be a starter, and shanle is is all we got nobody good behind him, and our mlb {mod edit - same}

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, going into the season, we weren't expecting much out of the LB corps, so when they overachieved and played well, I think we came to expect it. To be fair, Fujita usually will make a couple of plays, and yesterday Shanle had a sack and 4 tackles with 4 assists. Simoneau is all but invisible out there.

I guess my point is, we got our hopes up maybe a little too high for the LBs?

I've been slowly watching this, and maybe it stood out more because of Fred Thomas' absence,

But our DB's pretty much stink in run support. A lot of those big runs were due to missed tackles by the secondary. I wouldn't even say that our front 7 was totally at fault, for allowing PArker to have such a big day.

Fred Thomas is usually a solid open field tackler, but Craft and McKenzie are liabilities.

Anyone else notice this.

Or am I just making up excuses after a tough loss???

Our dbs are sadly lacking in every area, bigtime. Did you notice Crafts total cluelessness on the Pitt TD pass?? No excuse for that kind of ineptness. Maybe I am being too harsh. Lets just say our dbs were terrible yesterday, and leave it at that. Its not just Craft.

Last edited:
I actually thought highly of Craft when we first signed him. I thought he was young and had nice speed. Maybe he could take the starting job from Freddie? was I wrong on that one.

I actually thought highly of Craft when we first signed him. I thought he was young and had nice speed. Maybe he could take the starting job from Freddie? was I wrong on that one.

I'm sure Coach Payton is as upset with the secondary as anyone especially the play of Craft. He was responsible for several big plays yesterday.(I have not rewatched it yet) But he was not the only liability on defense, for sure. There is plenty of bad play to go around.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom