Saints defense against the wildcat (1 Viewer)

Saint Brees

The Seeker
Reaction score
Did no one notice the Saints performance against the wildcat. I'd say they did a good job considering how the Eagles used a heavy dose of it.

Well we adjusted well to it considering we were completely unprepared for it.

I don't see why this crap is so popular and hard to defend. Everytime the guy for the Eagles was taking the snap instead of the QB you knew it was going to be a run.

It's kind of gimmicky. Even in college at this point. It can be effective, and it was at times for the Eagles, but it shouldn't be breaking games wide open unless the defense is just unprepared for it.

I don't see why this crap is so popular and hard to defend. Everytime the guy for the Eagles was taking the snap instead of the QB you knew it was going to be a run.

Doesn't really matter if you know it's a run when there are just as many people blocking that there are trying to make the tackle and that's where the issue is..It's a creative scheme but it won't work forever..

Either the "QB" will run with the ball or he will toss it to some other player.

The Saints would run it but it would totally ruin Brees rhythm. I'm not impressed with it myself.

Payton said he had some wildcat plays but the Saints offense wasn't ready for it.

Doesn't really matter if you know it's a run when there are just as many people blocking that there are trying to make the tackle and that's where the issue is..It's a creative scheme but it won't work forever..

It'll "work" forever because there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. It's just not reasonable to expect it to generate constant big plays once the novelty wears off. Then you have to decide whether the practice time to effectively install it in the offense is worth the practice time you force opposing defenses to take up to defend it.

Be interesting to see what the Eagles do with Vick in it though. Not going to lie, seeing how much they have the formation in their offense, I'm kinda of excited to see what Vick can do with 10-15 snaps of it in a game.

Well we adjusted well to it considering we were completely unprepared for it.

Exactly..........They caught us off guard a bit in the first half. GW made some great adjustments at half-time and the defense responded in the second half!

I can't imagine we were unprepared for it. The Eagles signed Vick for it. They ran wildcat last year with Desean Jackson. Obviously they had it in their offense, it was on film, and we knew theyd use it. If we were "unprepared" for it Greg Williams should be fired.

It defies logic that we were though.

I hope you are joking.

Nope. He's not joking. The Saints did indeed run the wildcat at training camp. They had Morestead in the backfield along with Reggie and Thomas. Drew was lined up in the slot. It was the funnest thing I ever saw. Of course Pierre Thomas kept the ball everytime and they didn't run to Drew's side!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom