Saints defense against the wildcat (1 Viewer)

Payton said he had some wildcat plays but the Saints offense wasn't ready for it.

Our offense is playing very well right now. I don't see a need for it at this time. I'm sure well se it eventually, though.

I think the Eagles will use it as much or more next week with Vick being active.

For the Saints, not sure who we would put under center for the wildcat - Bush or Moore maybe? In any case I can't see it being much more than a rarely used gimmick for the Saints this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we never run it.

I think the Eagles will use it as much or more next week with Vick being active.

For the Saints, not sure who we would put under center for the wildcat - Bush or Moore maybe? In any case I can't see it being much more than a rarely used gimmick for the Saints this year. Wouldn't be surprised if we never run it.

Bell or PT, with Bush as the motion back.

But yeah, it's pretty limited for the Saints. By its nature is takes Drew Brees off the field (or at least out of the play). When is that ever going to be a good idea?

i dont know. i thought the wild cat gashed us in the first half and i was kinda befuddled why the eagles didnt run it more in the second.

i was kinda befuddled why the eagles didnt run it more in the second.

The Eagles went from a 10-10 tie with 2 minutes left in the 2nd quarter to 31-13 11:00 in the 3rd quarter.

So things kind of turned on a dime and forced them to abandon their game plan.

The main issue is whoever has the ball.. if they are mainly a runner, but can happen to throw ok... is that the secondary can't break from the receivers until AFTER the ball carrier breaks the LOS. So, it either creates a few more yards on the carry, or a huge passing play.

the direct snap stuff is just a way to get extra yards due to less time with a snap, and being able to pick your lanes.

Bell or PT, with Bush as the motion back.

But yeah, it's pretty limited for the Saints. By its nature is takes Drew Brees off the field (or at least out of the play). When is that ever going to be a good idea?

For the record, I saw Drew in for our version of the wildcat. He was in the slot position and the Saints rans the opposite side of the field. They don't want Drew blocking, I am sure.

For the record, I saw Drew in for our version of the wildcat. He was in the slot position and the Saints rans the opposite side of the field. They don't want Drew blocking, I am sure.

Yeah what I mean by "out of the play". I would flip-out if they asked Brees to come anywhere near a play like that. Honestly, I get the idea of breaking huddle with him to confuse the defense, but they should just line him up near the Saints sideline and have him run an out route on the LOS....right off the field.

No wildcat needed, as we already run the fake and real reverses package. Plus on any play, no gadget package comes close to being as effective as Drew managing the pocket, the line keeping pressure out of the middle, and Drew firing a laser to the open weapon.

Teams who run the Wildcat usually do so because they need that production due to deficiencies elsewhere in the offense. We don't have that problem.

It'll "work" forever because there's nothing fundamentally wrong with it. It's just not reasonable to expect it to generate constant big plays once the novelty wears off. Then you have to decide whether the practice time to effectively install it in the offense is worth the practice time you force opposing defenses to take up to defend it.

Be interesting to see what the Eagles do with Vick in it though. Not going to lie, seeing how much they have the formation in their offense, I'm kinda of excited to see what Vick can do with 10-15 snaps of it in a game.

qft.

anybody know how many times they ran the wildcat?

Fox kept displaying it on the screen and last I saw, it was 8 plays for 44 yards. That was in the 3rd quarter IIRC and I don't think they used it much after that since they were down 14+ for the entire 2nd half.

As far as the wildcat goes, I thought the eagles ran it fairly effectively. I agree that when the Saints went up by 18 early in the 3rd, it forced the Eagles to change their game plan. If the game stayed close, who knows what would have happened.

Despite our thrashing of the Eagles, I have to say that I do have concerns with our defense. The defense has been somewhat opportunistic and has made some big plays. But they have also given up some big plays.

But the big concern for me is the continued lack of any sort of pass rush. Its frustrating to see our 4 man pass rush get stood up at the LOS every play. But even when we blitz, we rarely even get close to the QB.

The past two games, the Saints were up big enough to bail out the defense. But it won't always work that way. If the Saints really want to make the next step, we need to get some semblance of a pass rush. We still might go 10-6 or 11-5 without one, but we'll need to get a lot of breaks and the offense will have to sustain its current form-- no easy tasks....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom