Article Saints Defense Becoming Skilled at the 'Art of Suffocation' (1 Viewer)

BiloxiSaint1

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
Another good article giving the D love...

By Barry Hirstius at www.si.com

Suffocation. According to the official Webster's Dictionary, the word 'suffocation' is defined as "the state or process of dying from being deprived of air or unable to breathe". While it usually describes a person that has stopped living from a lack of air, it also is the perfect term used to describe the overall recent performance of the surging New Orleans Saints defense.

That's because the much-maligned unit this season through the team's first 7 games has become the impetus for the franchise's current success; which has now reached 5 consecutive wins after last Sunday's victory over the Chicago Bears.

Led by the steady hand and guidance of defensive coordinator Dennis Allen, the Saints defense last week limited the Bears offense to a jaw-dropping 17 yards rushing yards on 7 total carries, and forced the Chicago coaching staff to completely abandon the running game. It was just the 9th time ever in the Saints 53-year team history that they held a team below 20 yards rushing in a single game.

Additionally, the Saints defense has limited opponents to less than 100 yards rushing for 4th straight games; dating back to their 12-10 victory over the Dallas Cowboys at the Superdome in Week #4.

That makes the 9th time in franchise history that they've held an opponent to less than 100 rushing yards in 4 consecutive weeks since the 1989 Season, a feat accomplished by none other than the legendary "Dome Patrol" led by linebackers Rickey Jackson, Pat Swilling, Vaughan Johnson, and Sam Mills.

Taking that interesting little fact into consideration, it's safe to say that perhaps this year's defensive squad is becoming quite skilled at the "art of suffocation".

Full article:

I'll read your teaser but I'm not giving that plagiarist any clicks.

ETA: Suffocation is what our defense has been doing since Drew went out - at least until the game is out of hand and we rest the whole starting defensive line like we did against the Bears.

Could you explain, please? I hadn't heard anything and am curious. Not fond of plagiarists, either. Thanks.
Take your pick of articles from when he got busted - MULTIPLE TIMES.

Something that happened a couple of years ago, apparently:
From that article:

Welp, it looks like the plagiarism didn’t end with the two examples cited above.

Bobby Belt, who originally called out Hirstius for plagiarism, emailed us to note that the writer also plagiarized NFL.com, CBSSports.com and ChiefsWire.com in since-deleted articles on Big Easy Believer (Belt sent screenshots, and the text still comes up in a Google search).

The most recent incidence of Hirstius’ plagiarism came only two days ago, in a post called “New Orleans Saints 2017 Draft Top Cornerback Prospects.”

That's 5 or 6 instances that were found. If he did it that many times and was caught for it, you can only imagine how frequently he really did it when stealing content from much smaller and less visible bloggers. I just can't give the dude clicks and can't believe SI hired him - especially considering they own fansided, which is where his original plagiarism was found.

Very interesting, guys. I must have missed all of that. Thanks for the links and info. :9:

I just hope this can continue without Eli. That injury really hurts, as this will mean Crawley will come back.

Wow. Teams being held to under 100 yds rushing for 4 cons. weeks really says a lot. First time since 1989 & the Dome Patrol. The fact that this defense is approaching the level of play of the DP is eye opening.

Its more like 28 games under 100 yds.

i think they said since Dec 2017 we havent allowed a 100 yd rusher.

Its more like 28 games under 100 yds.

i think they said since Dec 2017 we havent allowed a 100 yd rusher.
The article is talking about all rushers who played for a team in a given game being held to under 100 yards. This stat would include QBs and WRs running the ball, as well as all RBs who got touches in a game. This is different than holding an individual rusher to under 100 yards.

For long time Saints fans, this is an incredible time. I mean, AMAZING. The fact that we are sitting atop the NFCS AGAIN near the midpoint of the season, and it looks like, barring significant injuries we will pile up more wins...not only making the playoffs but with a strong possibility of HFA or at least a 1st round bye... again, it's AMAZING.

Do you guys realize how many years we have watched this team and by this time we would have needed 17 certified public accountants, an abacus, 3 shamans, an aardvark, Wile E Coyote, and the sacrifice of a Peruvian chicken during the Summer Solstice in order to figure out the exact sequence of events needed for the Saints to make it as a wild card?

Do you guys realize how many years we have watched this team and by this time we would have needed 17 certified public accountants, an abacus, 3 shamans, an aardvark, Wile E Coyote, and the sacrifice of a Peruvian chicken during the Summer Solstice in order to figure out the exact sequence of events needed for the Saints to make it as a wild card?
God, I don't like thinking about those days, even though they're much better memories than the seasons where we knew we weren't making the playoffs by week 6.

I used to expect giving up huge gains on the ground and in the air, and now I expect our defense to make life very hard for opposing offenses.
They have really bad, bullying attitudes too. It’s like sit your arse down and shut your arse up!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom