Saints defense building confidence, trending upwards on road to improvement (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score

Saints defense building confidence, trending upwards on road to improvement

By Herbie Teope, NOLA.com

There is a noticeable change of attitude on the New Orleans Saints defense.

Defenders swarming to the football have become a common sight throughout training camp and two preseason games.

And the unit's growth provides optimism the Saints will showcase a much-improved defense in 2016.

"I laugh and I smile every day on my way home just knowing that we are better than we were last year, you know, by far," cornerback Delvin Breaux said. "I just always think, we just got to continue getting better, got to continue playing fast and aggressive, and have that mentality that we're not going to get beat."

The Saints defense was beat a lot during in 2015 en route to a second-straight 7-9 campaign.

New Orleans languished at or near the bottom of the league the past season in numerous statistical defensive categories, including points allowed (32nd), total defense (31st), total yards allowed (31st) and passing yards allowed (31st).

But how the first-team unit fared through two preseason games in limited action shows just how far the defense has come with swagger and confidence under defensive coordinator Dennis Allen.

MORE -- NOLA.com

CitySaint

SR is my life!
Reaction score
Defense is looking really good, do we even have a glaring weakness on D anymore?

Eman5805

Soulful Voice Actor
Reaction score
Defense is looking really good, do we even have a glaring weakness on D anymore?
I love that you have to say things like "Experience" or "Er. Some guys could get hurt again? I mean, they were hurt before."

I mean, I'd settle for an average defense.

It gives me shivers to imagine if our defense turns out to be good.

BoNcHiE

Every team's Elixor
Reaction score
A touch thin at CB simply because of experience, maybe?

I can't think of anything else. LB is stacked. DL is good, with more middle pressure then we've ever had under Payton. Safeties are stacked.

JvilleJoe

Subscribing Member
Platinum VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It is only pre season so I am not quite ready to 'drink the coolade' but I have been very encouraged by the progress the defense has made this year. It is obvious to me that they made some solid choices to shore up the woeful defense we have seen in the last few years. Laurentitis, Stupar, Robertson, Fairely, Rankins, Bell and some of the other rookies are going to contribute this year. It is like night and day when contrasting last years defensive group with who we have on the field this year. We now also have depth, youth and athleticism which has long been missing from any Saints defense in recent years.

I don't believe we can get into the top ten in defense this year, but I will be very happy with a 15 or so ranking, particularly if we see the same high powered offense that Payton annually produces. While I remain concerned about the OL, I do believe that Payton and the offensive coaches will find a way to scheme around our obvious shortcomings. I also will not be surprised if we don't pick up a starting guard via a late trade or FA pickup of a decent starting veteran.

superchuck500

guarding the potatoes
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If you look at the history under Payton, about every third or fourth year, we have a decent (to even above average) defense. After two seasons at the bottom, we're due!

Trey W.

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
If the way our offense played against the Texans is any indication of how our season will be, the Defense will have to be great. The offense really regressed in the 2nd game.

AARPSaint

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Regression is likely when your two best WRs aren't playing and your LT, who is probably your best OL, is on a pitch count. Also, Brees played one series versus NE. No question that the offense versus Houston was awful, but to say that they regressed is difficult to justify when the two situations were so different. All that said, the offense in general does not look very good so far.

Reaction score
Before we count our eggs...we should consider that our defense has played a Saints offense that has significant o-line issues and has struggled this preseason...a Brady-less Patriots team...a weak Texans offense. Let's see how they do against better competition. No question they are better than last year.

VPCajun

SR is my life!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
From the article (Highlights added by me.):

"Well, the attributes also arrive with a dose of reality from veteran linebacker James Laurinaitis.

"Quite frankly, two preseason games of playing well isn't enough kind of body of work to judge where we are," Laurinaitis said. "We have to keep aiming for perfection. We just got to keep grinding, evaluate ourselves hard and I think really as long as our guys, individually, are your hardest critic when you put the tape on, we'll continue to strive to get better." "

and

""I like the direction that we're headed," Allen said. "I don't think you can ever sit back and feel like you've made it or you're in the right position. I like the direction we're headed, but we still got a lot that we got to work on, a lot that we got to get better at, and, really, a short period of time to do it."

Allen points out the difficultly surrounding proper evaluation of his defense until the Saints begin playing contests that matter. "

showtimesaints

Veteran Starter
Reaction score
If the way our offense played against the Texans is any indication of how our season will be, the Defense will have to be great. The offense really regressed in the 2nd game.
How can you come to the conclusion that the offense regressed with so few snaps in that 2nd game? There was very little there to make that assumption.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Saint Kamara Saints defense prevents 100 yard rusher yet again Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 21
Dan in Lafayette C.J. Gardner-Johnson on Raiders Offense, Saints Run Defense | Saints at Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Is this the best combined Saints defense/special teams/kicking units of all time? Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Cincy Saint Film breakdown - Saints defense takes away the middle from Brady and the Bucs Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 0
Payton encouraged by Ruiz progress, Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: Saints defense faces tough test in Josh Jacobs Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus Saints Defense at Raiders Offense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Film Study: How Saints rushing offense lines up vs. Raiders rushing defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints keeping it (under) 100... Everything you need to know about the defense's 44-game streak Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Andrus Saints Offense at Raiders Defense Preview SR News Page Articles 0
Second look: How the Saints went small on defense to defeat the Buccaneers Saints RSS News Feeds 1
ktmoze Saints Offense vs. Raiders Defense Preview - Week 2 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 1
Dan in Lafayette 2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad, Pt. 1 SR News Page Articles 0
ktmoze 2020 Saints Defense has traits of the 2009 Squad Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 13
Andrus Saints defense & special teams keep offense in the game to beat Bucs 34–23 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints can rely on consistent, balanced defense in title quest Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Defense shines in spots as Saints top Buccaneers in near-silent Superdome Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Film Study: New look Bucs rushing attack takes on stout Saints run defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
3 bold predictions for the Saints defense in 2020 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
2021 NFL Draft names Saints fans need to know that won’t play this fall: Defense Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Andrus So maybe a healthy Michael Thomas is kind of important for the Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Should we be concerned about Drew Brees and the Saints? SR News Page Articles 0
Saints stumble but still own NFC South lead after Week 2; here's what to know, what's next Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints take a tumble in Week 3 Power Rankings Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Clintonrebel I'm taking the Saints over the Pack Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
The Saints are saving Taysom Hill for something, but what? Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints Week 2: The Good, the Bad, the...Ugly Saints RSS News Feeds 0
The Saints don’t look like the Saints, as they drop Week 2 game in Las Vegas, 34-24. Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Fleur-de-Links, September 22: Fallout from the Saints’ week 2 game against the Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Sean Payton: Saints’ offense is “average at best” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees explains momentum-swinging interception in Saints loss: 'Shouldn't have thrown it' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Saints offense: “Not even close to what we’re capable of” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees: Job is to direct Saints, not rack up air yards Saints RSS News Feeds 0
'It was ugly.' Here's what Brees, Payton, Kamara had to say after Saints' loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Who did Saints turn to without Michael Thomas? Tre'Quan Smith, Alvin Kamara and little else Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Saints' Drew Brees acts his age in off-target loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Let's just hope a certain saying holds true for the Saints Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 4
What we learned, what is trending and final thoughts from the Saints 34-24 loss in Las Vegas Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Raiders score 24 unanswered points to top Saints in first-ever Las Vegas game Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: 2 games in, Saints make it clear they have ways to go to reach Super Bowl dreams Saints RSS News Feeds 0
After fast start, Saints stumble in humbling loss to Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Sean Payton Postgame on Saints Loss to Raiders in Week 2 | 2020 NFL SR News Page Articles 0
Andrus Saints Postgame Show | Raiders Week 2 2020 SR News Page Articles 0
Saints have not gone 2-0 since 2013 Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 8
Derek Carr tosses three touchdowns as Raiders win Las Vegas debut 34-24 over Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Raiders power past Saints in Allegiant Stadium debut SR News Page Articles 0
Blessedog The Raiders played Saints Football and Won Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 6
Watch: Saints rookie tight end Adam Trautman catches first NFL pass against Raiders Saints RSS News Feeds 0
17 all: Saints at Raiders 2nd half game thread Saints RSS News Feeds 1
Raiders tie Saints 17-17 with 10 points in final 1:44 of first half Saints RSS News Feeds 0