Saints Defense gave up 45 TD passes last season. This year so far? Only 11. (1 Viewer)

If you add rushing and passing together we are still lower than last year.

2016-11+12=23 ÷8= just under 3 a game average
2015-45+12=57÷16=3.56 a game

So this year we are trending at almost a touchdown less per game and as has been pointed out already the ones they are getting they are having to work for them.

Also have to remember we were giving up alot more ppg earlier in the season and that has gone down by the week. This defense is definitely improved.

Amazing what a competent D.C. can do for defense isn't it?

I like the direction of this team and the defense specifically. I still think we are missing a pass rusher ....

Would have been nice to have seen what a healthy Kikaha could have done for this defense.

I like the direction of this team and the defense specifically. I still think we are missing a pass rusher and I hope we make a serious investment in the position this offseason, but we are a better team. I like the secondary. I like the DTs. I like most of the LBing unit. I am not saying that a lot of positions are set and/or could use an upgrade, but there are a lot more pluses in a lot more spots than last year. Also as EJW has pointed out, our depth is much better than where we were previously.

Robertson and Stupar have been excellent acquisitions. Real solid linebacker play from them and some of the best we have gotten in a few years.

I'll bet the 2016 defense has committed fewer penalties than the 2015 version at the comparable point in the season. :mwink:

Young mistakes. Team results are night and day though. Saints are converting 53% of their 3rd downs and only allowing 38% conversion. That's a winning formula and it's why according to the Football Power Index we are ranked higher than teams with winning records. That says the team is actually better than its record if you believe in that sort of thing. Once the football starts bouncing our way (which it has) the wins will come.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

The eyeball test definitely says we are better and improving through the season.
That's a fantastic stat you listed. Seems we could NEVER get a team off the field last year on 3rd down.

I'll bet the 2016 defense has committed fewer penalties than the 2015 version at the comparable point in the season. :mwink:

The defense started playing better the second Rob Ryan was fired last season!!

IMHO this should be DA's second season as DC and the defense would be much better than they are now!!

Objection your honor!

Why?

Because it's devastating to my case!

Overruled.

Good call!

Nope, everyone is feeling good right now because we held a Seahawks team with an injured Russell Wilson to 20 points. Hey, that's huge. Only problem is that same Seahawks team only scored 36 points on the road all season before coming to New Orleans. 7 of those points fell directly on Mark Ingram so the defense held them to 13 points. Not bad at all.

Next we play a Niners offense that was last in just about every offensive statistic in the NFL without their top RB. We allowed CK to throw for almost 400 yards and his second best passing day of his career. It's not like they couldn't run the ball either, they averaged 5.5 yards per carry.

In 2015 the Saints defense allowed 29.8 points per game.
In 2016 the Saints defense is allowing 29.8 points per game.

In 2015 the Saints defense allowed 413 yards per game.
In 2016 the Saints defense allowed 408 yards per game.

In 2015 the Saints defense allowed 12 rushing TD's.
In 2016 the Saints defense allowed 12 rushing TD's. (Season is half over)

Yes, there is no doubt that the pass defense is much, much improved. We've said repeatedly from last years record bad pass defense that there is only one way to go, up.

We are still among the worst in the league at defending the pass in virtually every statistic.

We still can't get pressure on the QB and are among the bottom in the league in sacks.
We still can't get interceptions and are among the bottom of the league in interceptions.

We still give up about 30 points per game.

Yes, we are certainly better but I can attribute all of it to the removal of Brandon Browner. Something we should have obviously done by week 6 last season.

Hopefully 3 straight games against really bad offensive teams gives this defense some confidence as it gets healthy and we can continue to improve because they have a long way to go to get to average.

Nope, everyone is feeling good right now because we held a Seahawks team with an injured Russell Wilson to 20 points. Hey, that's huge. Only problem is that same Seahawks team only scored 36 points on the road all season before coming to New Orleans. 7 of those points fell directly on Mark Ingram so the defense held them to 13 points. Not bad at all.

Next we play a Niners offense that was last in just about every offensive statistic in the NFL without their top RB. We allowed CK to throw for almost 400 yards and his second best passing day of his career. It's not like they couldn't run the ball either, they averaged 5.5 yards per carry.

Yes, there is no doubt that the pass defense is much, much improved. We've said repeatedly from last years record bad pass defense that there is only one way to go, up.

We are still among the worst in the league at defending the pass in virtually every statistic.

We still can't get pressure on the QB and are among the bottom in the league in sacks.
We still can't get interceptions and are among the bottom of the league in interceptions.

Yes, we are certainly better but I can attribute all of it to the removal of Brandon Browner. Something we should have obviously done by week 6 last season.

Hopefully 3 straight games against really bad offensive teams gives this defense some confidence as it gets healthy and we can continue to improve because they have a long way to go to get to average.

You would have to come in here and makes sense wouldn't you??.........:angryrazz:

But you have to admit that it is much more fun watching this defense play than the cluster flop that was paraded onto the field the last two seasons!!..............right??

You forget trends. Defense has been improving in points allowed the last 4 weeks. We went from dead last in total defense to ranked 25th. 49ers game was bad as far as yardage but only allowed 3 points in the second half and got 4 turnovers something we are getting at least fumble wise.

Also before that game the defense had improved every week for 4 weeks allowing 100 yards less a game.

My original comment said we are improving. If they keep trending up getting to 20th isn't out of the picture. Also you can't ignore we are forcing way more punts this year. That is a stat you absolutely cannot ignore the last 5 weeks. Also I haven't looked this up but our defense has become stellar in the 2nd half the last 4 weeks. Pretty sure they haven't allowed a TD in the 2nd half in like 3 weeks. Like I said they are only allowing 38% on 3rd down. We have the number 1 offense in the league. Our defense is giving our offense more opportunities.

You forget trends. Defense has been improving in points allowed the last 4 weeks. We went from dead last in total defense to ranked 25th. 49ers game was bad as far as yardage but only allowed 3 points in the second half and got 4 turnovers something we are getting at least fumble wise.

Also before that game the defense had improved every week for 4 weeks allowing 100 yards less a game.

My original comment said we are improving. If they keep trending up getting to 20th isn't out of the picture. Also you can't ignore we are forcing way more punts this year. That is a stat you absolutely cannot ignore the last 5 weeks. Also I haven't looked this up but our defense has become stellar in the 2nd half the last 4 weeks. Pretty sure they haven't allowed a TD in the 2nd half in like 3 weeks. Like I said they are only allowing 38% on 3rd down. We have the number 1 offense in the league. Our defense is giving our offense more opportunities.

Again, how much does that have yo do with playing really bad offenses? Yes, the defense has been average when we played bottom 5 offenses.

Our schedule has been brilliant to this point. We grabbed Cam coming back from concussions when the Panthers were trying to keep him from running. A seahawks team with an immobile Wilson and no running game, a putrid Niners team playing for draft position and now a Broncos team missing half it's defense and best weapon on offense.

Like I said, hopefully this allows the team to build some confidence and get healthy. We just allowed 500 yards of offense to the worst team in the league. If we play like we did last week against the Falcons they will hang 50 on us.

Again, how much does that have yo do with playing really bad offenses? Yes, the defense has been average when we played bottom 5 offenses.

Our schedule has been brilliant to this point. We grabbed Cam coming back from concussions when the Panthers were trying to keep him from running. A seahawks team with an immobile Wilson and no running game, a putrid Niners team playing for draft position and now a Broncos team missing half it's defense and best weapon on offense.

Like I said, hopefully this allows the team to build some confidence and get healthy. We just allowed 500 yards of offense to the worst team in the league. If we play like we did last week against the Falcons they will hang 50 on us.
"Playing bad offenses"

We played some really bad offenses last year and it still didn't matter. First signs of improvement is your weakness (defense in our case) out playing and being better than another teams weakness. So Seattle's offense was their weakness vs our defense. Our defense won allowing only 13. The very next week? Seattle moves the ball at will against the Bills.

Giants didn't score an offensive TD against us. KC at home in the 2nd half could barely move. Offense helped them out.

Yes the Falcons can move the ball on us. Our defense can improve and they will still move on us like they will every team they play. Just like how our offense scored 6 straight drives vs Seattle.

I'm not sure why we are debating? Do you think I've said our defense is elite? Goodness no. I said they are improving. At this point we should be happy where we are at compared to where we started. The last five weeks

Bills
Falcons
Bucs
Panthers
49ers
Oakland
Cleveland
Tennessee
San Diego
Broncos (30th ranked run D last 4 weeks)

Have all been worse than us in key areas. Last year we were dead last in everything. Gotta win the little battles before you win the war.

Would have been nice to have seen what a healthy Kikaha could have done for this defense.

A completely healthy Ellerbe, Kikaha, Breaux, Williams and Swann. Man. The possibilities

True to both, but I still think we need another pass rusher off the edge. A guys that team have to game plan to stop.

Robertson and Stupar have been excellent acquisitions. Real solid linebacker play from them and some of the best we have gotten in a few years.

They have been outstanding. The depth of this team has really become an vast improvement. Still a ways to go, but much better.

I like the direction of this team and the defense specifically. I still think we are missing a pass rusher and I hope we make a serious investment in the position this offseason, but we are a better team. I like the secondary. I like the DTs. I like most of the LBing unit. I am not saying that a lot of positions are set and/or could use an upgrade, but there are a lot more pluses in a lot more spots than last year. Also as EJW has pointed out, our depth is much better than where we were previously.

I think it you look at the direction of the defense and how it is trending say what you will about the parts as its a reflection of how the defense will eventually look. The Saints targeted players in the offseason to get quicker at certain positions like Linebacker as our coverage from the position left something to be desired and now we have Robertson and Stupar roaming the passing lanes and they've plucked interceptions from QB's. The defensive line has more oenetraters specifically in the middle with Rankins, Fairley, Onyementa, Jordan, and Davison who plays the lunch pale role as the NT as he gets one on one machtuoa for the aforementioned players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom