Saints Defense gave up 45 TD passes last season. This year so far? Only 11. (1 Viewer)

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
All we said is we needed our defense just to be average. They are well on there way to being average. It's why we are trending up and our FPI is quite high.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I like the direction of this team and the defense specifically. I still think we are missing a pass rusher and I hope we make a serious investment in the position this offseason, but we are a better team. I like the secondary. I like the DTs. I like most of the LBing unit. I am not saying that a lot of positions are set and/or could use an upgrade, but there are a lot more pluses in a lot more spots than last year. Also as EJW has pointed out, our depth is much better than where we were previously.

11 total? or just 11 defensively? not counting fumble returns etc?

Yes, 11 passing TDs.

However, last year and this year (and the year before).....

We are sitting at the same place ...4-4.

For example......vs Giants.

2016 - Lost. No passing TDs given up.
2015- Won. 7 passing TDs given up.

Rushing TD's have been much higher though.
Yeah but last year we literally had so many broken pass plays we couldn't recover. They were not even working for those TDs. This year teams are actually having to work them sometimes. We are only allowing teams to convert 38% of their 3rd downs against us a massive improvement and I believe top 12.

Compare that to our offense converting an impressive and league leading 53% conversion. That makes for a formula of winning games.

Yes, 11 passing TDs.

However, last year and this year (and the year before).....

We are sitting at the same place ...4-4.

For example......vs Giants.

2016 - Lost. No passing TDs given up.
2015- Won. 7 passing TDs given up.
Young mistakes. Team results are night and day though. Saints are converting 53% of their 3rd downs and only allowing 38% conversion. That's a winning formula and it's why according to the Football Power Index we are ranked higher than teams with winning records. That says the team is actually better than its record if you believe in that sort of thing. Once the football starts bouncing our way (which it has) the wins will come.

Young mistakes. Team results are night and day though. Saints are converting 53% of their 3rd downs and only allowing 38% conversion. That's a winning formula and it's why according to the Football Power Index we are ranked higher than teams with winning records. That says the team is actually better than its record if you believe in that sort of thing. Once the football starts bouncing our way (which it has) the wins will come.

Good Post.

Rushing TD's have been much higher though.

If you add rushing and passing together we are still lower than last year.

2016-11+12=23 ÷8= just under 3 a game average
2015-45+12=57÷16=3.56 a game

So this year we are trending at almost a touchdown less per game and as has been pointed out already the ones they are getting they are having to work for them.

Also have to remember we were giving up alot more ppg earlier in the season and that has gone down by the week. This defense is definitely improved.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom