Saints defense has forced 1 punt in 17 possessions (1 Viewer)

Offensive Reference to Saints Player or FO
Please, our defense is going to continue to be [ :nono: mod edit] until we can consistently collapse the pocket within 3 seconds of the snap. This has been an ongoing problem for the last 10 years. We don't develop interior talent at all(it even regresses) and then we're completely dependent on having Jordan carry the line. I understand we took our shot with Davenport but I think the pattern is quite clear. Our talent leaves and turns into superstars on other teams lines. We spend ludicrous amounts of cap space/draft picks on our o-line and most other competent D-Line's still achieve quick pressure with mid-level guys. We can't achieve pressure with like 4 1st round picks dedicated...... Part of this is due to the scheme, Allen counts on his players to play run and hold edges on every snap where as most d-lines are 1 gappers and their first priority is getting immediate pressure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Weird thread because the Packers punted in the second quarter. Between the Raiders and the Packers, this is how the drives went:

-Raiders-
Punt
Punt
TD
TD
FG
TD
Fumble (that the Saints defense did not cause)
TD
FG
-GB-
FG
FG
TD
Punt
TD
TD
Turnover on downs
FG
TD

So, for 18 possessions:
8 TDs (44%!)
5 FGs
3 Punts
2 Turnovers, one of which the Saints didn’t cause

Only 28% of possessions by the opponent ended in anything other than points.

This is 2012 levels of terrible.

Edit: I did not include end of half/game drives where the offense couldn’t have accomplished anything. I think they included those stub drives in the tweet above to specifically exclude the first two Raider’s punts in the statistic
Should end the debate about the offense.

With this level of futility it's not even worth talking about an offense that is in the top 10 in the league in scoring points.

How is it possible for an organization to be this consistently futile at playing defense?

Simplify the damn defense.

I feel like this has been a reoccurring theme through Allen’s entire run as the Saints DC.

Saints defense: terrible. Some story comes out that the defense is too complicated, and someone (Payton, a defensive captain) states they talked with Dennis Allen about simplifying the scheme.

The Saints defense becomes good, but as the season goes on the defense gets weaker as the scheme slowly becomes more complicated again.

Payton built his team to play with the lead. His teams are designed to score quickly and often forcing opposing Offenses to become one dimensional passing. Well, when your star QB is aging and can’t throw a deep pass you can can’t score quickly. That allows opposing O’s to stick with their running games, control TOP, and use their entire playbook.

Now Payton could win with 2020 Brees if he did the following - rely heavily on his running game. Stick with it even when it isn’t very productive (Payton quickly abandons the run gams if it isn‘t breaking off big chunks early). Replace Dennis Allen as DC. I think the Saints could win some games if they controlled the clock and played just a tiny bit better on D.

I don't know. Looks very familiar to the first 3 games of 2017 and 2018, hell even 2019 got off to a rocky start.
Sean and Allen's defenses always take a while to get their stuff together.

The thing that irritates you is that in both the Raiders game and Packers game, had we just committed to the run we would be 3-0 right now.

I keep hearing about our defense, but look around the NFL. All the defenses suck right now. You had no preseason or real camp and it shows.

Coaching should be bailing us out, but so far Sean is getting schooled.

Payton built his team to play with the lead. His teams are designed to score quickly and often forcing opposing Offenses to become one dimensional passing. Well, when your star QB is aging and can’t throw a deep pass you can can’t score quickly. That allows opposing O’s to stick with their running games, control TOP, and use their entire playbook.

Now Payton could win with 2020 Brees if he did the following - rely heavily on his running game. Stick with it even when it isn’t very productive (Payton quickly abandons the run gams if it isn‘t breaking off big chunks early). Replace Dennis Allen as DC. I think the Saints could win some games if they controlled the clock and played just a tiny bit better on D.

He goes away from the run when they are gashing teams. Murry and Kamara were tearing up the Packers and poof, we stop running the ball. So frustrating.

For those claiming the DA defense is always this bad: You may not want to hear it, but the defense suffocated a lot of teams last year. The team built leads and protected them, barring garbage yards, at a good rate last year.

This year looks different, however. And what I'm seeing and what I'm reading suggest that our approach to filling the role of a traditional Sam this year isn't working. Deploying extra DBs that are active and thrive on run defense are great against lighter formations, but if they can't stop power runs and/or neutralise the tight end in the pass game, they're going to be exposed. And once one team is on film showing their success at it (LV), you can be sure other teams will try the same too. That's the dilemma I think DA has to solve and fast. They tried various adjustments in that LV game and none were working much at all, hopefully there are better things to come. But I sympathize with anyone who struggles to have that level of optimism right now.

The defense hasn’t been terrible under Allen. The Saints finished the year as the 11th overall defense last year, so the scheme works. It’s the players that play the game and they’re simply not playing well. Add in the fact that without Davenport and Rankins coming off of injury we have no pass rush. Usually it’s in the playoffs that we have this problem with missing Davenport and Rankins, but we are already there.

This was the first time I genuinely felt like the “little brother” since 2015.

Aaron Rodgers was literally laughing throughout much of the game. Tiny little flick of the wrist and his ball travels 40+ yards. Back foot, moving to his side - 40+ yards.

Brees almost needs a running start, puts his shoulder in it, proper footing, and then it’s too late.

I have never been that guy that blame the refs but, how many of those drives were continued by a phantom penalty??? Third down penalties are killing this defense and when it happens time and again it has to be demoralizing to the D.

It's the defensive line... They (as a unit) have played inconsistent at their best in very limited instances, and have been completely ineffective more often than not... That is killing our secondary/stressing the LBs, and forcing us to blitz to get any kind of pressure (which has also been ineffective for the most part).

It starts with Cam Jordan, and he's looked old so far this year (he's looked OK in the run game, but nearly invisible against guys he should be killing in the pass rush arena).... Hendrickson has been our best D-line player so far.... Everyone else (besides a few flashes by Roach) has been down right bad.

Until the D-Line play gets better.... this defense will stink.

Why 17 possessions? Why not go back to the beginning of that Raiders game? Also, even though we only forced the 1 punt yesterday, we did have the turnover-on-downs, that the refs tried hard not to give us.

Our defense looks bad...very bad. But lets At least not be misleading. (It’s not the OPs fault.)

I have never been that guy that blame the refs but, how many of those drives were continued by a phantom penalty??? Third down penalties are killing this defense and when it happens time and again it has to be demoralizing to the D.
Fair point.

Judging from what i have seen compared to other teams the Saints don't go after the opposing QB hard. Heck Cincy who is known to be putrid defensively were giving Wentz fits all game.

Allen needs to unleash his players and let em play. Fancy schemes and packages sound nice but do no good if they are hard to execute. Payton and Allen seem to try to always out think the room.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom