Saints defense has forced 1 punt in 17 possessions (1 Viewer)

I thought the defense was ok last night, but, wow, this is terrible. The defense needs to get much better or it's gonna be a really long season.
Yeah I don't see how anyone watched that game and thought to themselves that the defense played "ok".

What would have been deemed playing poorly, giving up 58 points?

Yeah I don't see how anyone watched that game and thought to themselves that the defense played "ok".

What would have been deemed playing poorly, giving up 58 points?

I should say the run defense was OK until late in the game when they were gassed after they got the 4th down stop. They got a number of stops in short yardage situations and basically had a couple of other drives extended because of phantom penalties where the original play would have forced a punt. Brutal. The dbs had a tough time though, which isn't all that surprising considering the start the Packers have had this season.

Fwiw, as some others have mentioned, defenses around the league have been getting torched. So, it not just a Saints defense thing.

Like I said, they do need to improve if the Saints are going to have a respectable season.

I should say the run defense was OK until late in the game when they were gassed after they got the 4th down stop. They got a number of stops in short yardage situations and basically had a couple of other drives extended because of phantom penalties where the original play would have forced a punt. Brutal. The dbs had a tough time though, which isn't all that surprising considering the start the Packers have had this season.

Fwiw, as some others have mentioned, defenses around the league have been getting torched. So, it not just a Saints defense thing.

Like I said, they do need to improve if the Saints are going to have a respectable season.

Definitely and history shows they will.

However we absolutely have to play better situational and complimentary football.
Against the Raiders the defense recovered a fumble that set us up with great field position to take the lead late in the game. Last night the defense stopped a fourth and 1 late in the game that gave us the opportunity to take the lead.

Both times the offense came away with 0 points.

That's unacceptable.

it says a lot when your team forces a punt and it feels like the biggest relief in the world. And suddenly we are right back to that (or at least I am )

Definitely and history shows they will.

However we absolutely have to play better situational and complimentary football.
Against the Raiders the defense recovered a fumble that set us up with great field position to take the lead late in the game. Last night the defense stopped a fourth and 1 late in the game that gave us the opportunity to take the lead.

Both times the offense came away with 0 points.

That's unacceptable.

Pretty much. The offense has failed when given the ball late in games. Not just the Hill fumble, but the 3 and out the drive before that when the screens were dunces.

We knew the offense wouldn’t be a juggernaut this season, and we’d have to rely on the defense more than ever. It’s why we’ve carefully built this defensive roster the past 4 years to be talent-packed, sound, and suffocating. What a horrible letdown. It’s just flat out terrible.

As bad as the offense has been. If the defense was average the Saints would be 2-1.
That was basically the cry of 2014-2016.
Brees was slinging it and the offense was potent. All we had to do was not field the worst defense in NFL history and we went and fielded the worst defense in NFL history for 3 years in a row.

I said it last night, there is no middle ground with Payton and his teams. They are either 13-3 and title contenders or they are a maddening 7-9 with putrid defense.

Look at these last 2 weeks and honestly ask yourself, what is different about this defense and the abysmal 2014-16 defenses?

The defense was pretty good the past two years, but has reverted to prior Dennis Allen (and Sean Payton) form. Maybe not having Mike Nolan is hurting us.

I think the problems on D is a direct result of their practice routines. If they are practicing 1s v 1s, our offensives tendencies has become muscle memory for our D. It seems that the secondary is surprised each time the receivers blow past them in coverage and this has been a problem for the past 5+ years. The safeties and corners seem to be squatting down, expecting the receivers to break, but they never do.

Possibly something to that. But it’s also how teams play against the Saints. By reputation if you’re going to play against New Orleans you have to come in and be willing to have an all out offensive game plan. Opposing teams are doing that. Payton’s offense is snails pacing down the field at 3 yards a time. Something has to give. That work your way down the field and eat up clock and defenses only works if you’re putting TDs on the board. If not, you see what happens. Teams come in for blood, defense, which is built to manage games not enforce will, will eventually give up points. The offense cannot hit that high level anymore. It’s like Carl Smiths offense with Steve spagwhaterehisnameis defense.

These were clearly team losses, but it is evident to me that the defense has been absolutely terrible. The undisciplined play resulting in needless penalties and the lack of production by our so called leaders and stars, minus Demario Davis, is alarming. Couple that with a predictable offense and Qb who cannot routinely make those intermediate passes that has been a staple of this offense for years, has allowed opposing teams defenses to game plan effectively. I am not sure what the solution is short term, but things could spiral out of control quickly unless we can turn things around starting next week in an away game.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom