Saints defense has forced 1 punt in 17 possessions (1 Viewer)

The defense is terrible, but I don't get this thread. Didn't the Packers punt in the 2nd qtr last night?

Yea, the source I got this from must have corrected it. The defense has forced 1 punt in the last 17 possessions, and given up 8 touchdowns. I was able to modify the subject. Doesn’t change the horridness, obviously.

Weird thread because the Packers punted in the second quarter. Between the Raiders and the Packers, this is how the drives went:

-Raiders-
Punt
Punt
TD
TD
FG
TD
Fumble (that the Saints defense did not cause)
TD
FG
-GB-
FG
FG
TD
Punt
TD
TD
Turnover on downs
FG
TD

So, for 18 possessions:
8 TDs (44%!)
5 FGs
3 Punts
2 Turnovers, one of which the Saints didn’t cause

Only 28% of possessions by the opponent ended in anything other than points.

This is 2012 levels of terrible.

Edit: I did not include end of half/game drives where the offense couldn’t have accomplished anything. I think they included those stub drives in the tweet above to specifically exclude the first two Raider’s punts in the statistic

100% Dennis Allen. All the years and players that have been here and he’s the common denominator. I said in a previous post that the commentators last night were saying that Allen runs one of the most complicated defenses with so many looks they stopped counting when they were analyzing the D. We have the quality players, but they’re always in the wrong place.

This is 2012 levels of letting opposing offenses do whatever they want :sick:
Its exactly like that. Stout against the run but on 3rd down, its overwith. It could be 3rd and 15, it is soon to be a first down. Thats why the Packers went for it on 4th down so much. They knew there's no way this defense will stop them from gaining 10 yards in 4 downs. I love the 3rd or 4th and long and we give up a touchdown. Same old back breaking Saints defense. Has been for the last 8 years

100% Dennis Allen. All the years and players that have been here and he’s the common denominator. I said in a previous post that the commentators last night were saying that Allen runs one of the most complicated defenses with so many looks they stopped counting when they were analyzing the D. We have the quality players, but they’re always in the wrong place.

If it’s so complicated that the Saints defenders cannot understand it, what chance does the opposing offense have?

Brilliant!

Sunday is a big test. Defense needs to get it together and fast. The next three games are versus Detroit, Chargers, and Panthers...formidable teams but not juggernauts by a long shot. If our defense can’t turn it around now that we’re in “gut check” mode, Allen needs to be on the hot seat and Lattimore and Marcus can find another team to overpay them. You don’t get paid top money on potential.

If anyone is waiting on the D to save us, good luck. Our team is not a defensive football team at its core. At our best, the D can play complementary football, but they will never shut down a good team. Trying to blame the defense instead of the offense, or Brees/SP, is just a diversion.

With the talent they have now on D, watching all the wide open receivers, it has to be scheme related. Guys are either not picking up their assignments completely or are late which causes panic with the ball in the air. Maybe they need to quit putting so many in the box to stop the run and depending so much on their DBs in man. Put in some creative zone schemes for God’s sake. Marcus Williams as a one high safety is laughable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom