Saints Defense is No 1 [in some time-limited categories] (1 Viewer)

Blessedog

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
In red zone efficiency since week 7. Tied for 5th in Run D since week 4. This is the most maddening part about dropping two straight. Not only is the D become competent but they've been pretty darn good. This is a team poised to run the table and go on a playoff run. If ST can keep it together for the long run this is a dangerous team.

New Orleans Saints

Since Week 4 -- when the Saints’ defense forced three turnovers in the final seven minutes to spark a remarkable comeback win at the San Diego Chargers -- the Saints rank 18th in the NFL in yards allowed per game (354.7), fifth in opponents’ Total QB Rating (56.8), tied for fifth in run defense (81.9 yards per game) and tied for sixth in red-zone defense (50 percent touchdowns allowed), according to ESPN Stats and Information.

Since Week 7, the Saints’ red-zone defense is the best in the NFL (33.3 percent touchdowns allowed).

But you will never hear that from a broadcaster. They would much rather talk about how much the defense gives up and how the opponent should take advantage. If you didn't bring it up, I would not have known.

I knew they'd improved steadily for the past 5 weeks or so, but I didn't know it was that much.

That's one hell of a refreshing recap of where we are as a defense.

I've been saying that the defense is really getting solid. We picked up some really solid young DB's that are truly NFL caliber players. This team could take a huge jump in a hurry.

It's frustrating to know that a little special teams play and a couple of turnovers have kept us from being in the driver's seat for the division. But it's also encouraging because I think we can run the table and take it anyway. I'm not kidding.

100% hats off to DA. What a phenomenal job he's done and with all those injuries.

All we need is the offense and special teams to show-up.

One thing that can't be stressed enough is this 10 day break will allow us to do some fine tuning.

Earlier in the season the offense played a certain way to protect the Defense. The Defense has gotten better but the offense continued to play the conservative ball control approach.

I think its possible to turn it loose a little bit on offense and trust that the Defensive pressure will get there and the turnovers will continue to come. 10days gives a lot of time to tinker/self scout/rearrange some things. I'm interested to see how the D and O continue to find ways to complement each other.

We've already seen how much of a significant jump can be made from the D going from 32nd to just 28/29. If ST's can make a similar jump in the next 6 weeks there could be room for a big jump as a team.

Remember when we used to say that if we could just get a pretty good D (not even great), we'd be back in the playoffs and maybe even make another Super Bowl run? Ah, the good ole days.

I've got to give Payton credit for doing the right things to turn around the D. Now, it's time to do the same for the ST.

This team is on the brink of something good. We just haven't been able to get over the hump yet.

I knew I my eyes weren't lying! If Drew has his normal output, we're going to blow some people out down the stretch.

It also can't be understated how much we've done in spite of having our top 3 CB's (and sometimes top 4/5) out for most of the year. Green Bay has lost their top CB's and they are giving up 40 points a game.

Cant blame the offense. We are 3 blocked kicks from 7-3.

Indeed, in a lot of ways the special teams has singlehandedly wrecked our season. Maddening.

I sure hope the new coach can at least stop the bleeding. The STs just need to stop the stupid mistakes. They don't even have to be good, just average and minimal mistakes would make a huge difference.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom