Saints Defense is No 1 [in some time-limited categories] (1 Viewer)

Chargers in 2010 had four blocked punts and another deflected, three kickoff return touchdowns, and one punt return touchdown. They also had the number one offense AND the number one defense. A case like that and the ineptitude of the Saints' special teams coupled with the terrible defense--albeit a greatly improved one--shows just how devastating poor special teams can be.

We are 3 blocked kicks from 7-3.

This statement is what will ultimately define the 2016 season and create the bitterest of tastes during the coming post season. But it's also the reason why if we can somehow miraculously make it into the playoff we will all be convinced that we have as good a shot as any team to go all the way.

It's enough to make me want to do this: :banghead:

But you will never hear that from a broadcaster. They would much rather talk about how much the defense gives up and how the opponent should take advantage. If you didn't bring it up, I would not have known.

Nah, it's a product of winning and losing. If this team had moved to 6-4 I'm certain this would be highlighted by all the pundits.

Cant blame the offense. We are 3 blocked kicks from 7-3.

This. Outside of New England no offense is on fire *every* game. And every offense has turnovers. So when you remove the things that occur on every single football team, our O is number one in yards and scoring. So you cant blame them.

This team will be a Super Bowl contender next year.

Not by the pundits, and not for the first 5/6 weeks of the season.

But then, all of a sudden, people will notice that even though the Seahawks, Packers, and Cowboys are getting all the publicity, it will be the Saints who are sitting as the #1 seed.

I think that you are cherry picking a bit. The defense has played better the past two weeks but is that really a large enough sample size to be a trend. Also, Ellerbes return has been huge...but the guy can't stay healthy. Unfortunately I don't believe that you can assume that this defense will continue to play well when Ellerbe is a hangnail away from us potentially sinking back to mediocrity. I'm very cautiously optimistic...which is a big step up from hopelessly frustrated and disgusted...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

I think that you are cherry picking a bit. The defense has played better the past two weeks but is that really a large enough sample size to be a trend. Also, Ellerbes return has been huge...but the guy can't stay healthy. Unfortunately I don't believe that you can assume that this defense will continue to play well when Ellerbe is a hangnail away from us potentially sinking back to mediocrity. I'm very cautiously optimistic...which is a big step up from hopelessly frustrated and disgusted...but let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Not the last two weeks. Defense is playing better since the game against kansas city in week 7. That's five games.

I know they are not playing against great offenses lately but in the past it didn't matter how bad a offense was they would destroy us so that's a huge step in the right direction.

Sarcasm post

In red zone efficiency since week 7. Tied for 5th in Run D since week 4. This is the most maddening part about dropping two straight. Not only is the D become competent but they've been pretty darn good. This is a team poised to run the table and go on a playoff run. If ST can keep it together for the long run this is a dangerous team.

New Orleans Saints

This can't because there has been numerous post on this site this year stating that Dennis Alllen is not a good defensive coordinator and we will suck on defense because Dennis Allen is a yes man for Sean Payton.

So i don't understand how we can be improving on defense if Dennis Allen is not a good coach as stated on this board and i cant believe any NFL executive knows more than the fans on this board.

Sarcasm on

100% hats off to DA. What a phenomenal job he's done and with all those injuries.

All we need is the offense and special teams to show-up.

That's bulll. The offense has played well enough for us to win. It's the special teams that's let us down the past few games.

We play complimentary football. And by complimentary I mean a good unit is always complimented with a bad unit

We play complimentary football. And by complimentary I mean a good unit is always complimented with a bad unit

This season, every single game has seen the offense or defense be good enough to overcome problems by the other.

The problem in our losses has been the additional hurdles of bad refs or bad ST play.

There has been some top notch coaching this year. DL, our castoff linebackers, our injured CBs hey I mean hey hats off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom