Saints defense shows some exotic looks in nickel and dime packages (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
The New Orleans Saints defense was fun to watch - and hard to keep up with - during Thursday's OTA session. They were installing nickel and dime packages, so new defensive coordinator Rob Ryan's versatile 3-4 scheme was on full display.

For most of the time, there were no true defensive tackles on the field, with the field packed with pass rushers and defensive backs. At one point, almost everyone on the defense was standing up, with outside linebacker Will Smith, Junior Galette and Martez Wilson all out on the field together. And on the very first play of team drills, inside linebacker Curtis Lofton shot through the middle for an apparent sack of quarterback Drew Brees (though they aren't going full-contact at this stage of the offseason).

For those wondering about veteran Will Smith's transition from end to outside linebacker, Thursday's practice session was a good demonstration of how he might be used this year. At times, he was lined up on the outside edge. At other times, he had his hand on the ground inside, with another linebacker outside of him.

More - Picayune

Where is DT Jenkins? How easy is it to run on these exotic type defenses w/o DT's on field ?

Pretty easy but you run these packages out there on obvious passing situations (3rd and 9+) or if you are up 20 points and the team has given up on the run.

I love the psycho lineup, we have the depth for it. Now I'm just waiting to hear about fights breaking out.. I'm gonna guess the first minor tussle that's reported, Will Smith v Junior Galette.

Maybe it's just me, but I don't think the word "exotic" should be used in any context of a man's contact sport. Save the name for the strip clubs and come up with something else to describe defensive packages.

On the other hand, I'm glad to hear that the team seems to be taking well to Ryan's philosophy which seems to be 3G style without the crazy!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom