Saints Defense Will Roule. (1 Viewer)

OneSaintsFan

Want to Be in that Number
Reaction score
If all I did was read this board rather than watch the games, I'd have to think that our defense regressed and that we were about to have to rebuild. For all the lemon-suckers clutching their pearls and bemoaning how terrible our players are, I have good news - this is the most talented secondary we have ever had, and they will start to roll after the bye week. A 3 safety base defense is not built in a day, but 6 weeks sounds about right. And once we get it going, game tape won't help anyone as there are too many ways to disguise what we are doing. Plus Cam will begin to go off, like he always does, and Davenport may just outshine him this year.

That is all. Resume your pessimistic froth-mouthed ravings.

I’ll admit it first. Had to google ”Roule”...Unless you meant Roll and that was just a typo lol

I’m not ready to go all in with the OP just yet.

There are too many blown coverages, lack of safety help over the top, as well as CB’s trying to cover without looking back for the incoming spiral... not making a play on the ball 🏈.

Until I see basic, fundamental mistakes being corrected, I don’t see us as a serious contender for the crown.

However, should they turn it around in the secondary (and get Davenport in beast mode), I’ll be there with you by going all-in.

:gosaints:09090461-3A38-4A0B-8ED6-A98EBCDD7B3B.jpeg

We have the same secondary as last year’s; Malcolm Jenkins and Vonn Bell are not much of a difference. But definitely the most talented secondary in the league on paper. I do think Lattimore and Garder-Johnson will consistently be shutdown corners at their positions and play better than they ever have yet as the season progresses.

I agree that we haven’t see the best that our defense can be. Defense has been starting off slow every season lately so I’m expecting a turnaround after the bye once everyone has settled in and figured things out with adjustments during the off week.

Last edited:
If all I did was read this board rather than watch the games, I'd have to think that our defense regressed and that we were about to have to rebuild. For all the lemon-suckers clutching their pearls and bemoaning how terrible our players are, I have good news - this is the most talented secondary we have ever had, and they will start to roll after the bye week. A 3 safety base defense is not built in a day, but 6 weeks sounds about right. And once we get it going, game tape won't help anyone as there are too many ways to disguise what we are doing. Plus Cam will begin to go off, like he always does, and Davenport may just outshine him this year.

After 5 games, just calling it what it is. I never said it can't get better. It has to get better. I think it can get better. The DBs need to give us something to be optimistic about other than a list of names though.

Last edited:
The Saints secondary is full of talented players that should be playing much better and more consistently. Players across the board are out of position far too often.

In my honest opinion, I believe the Saints made a massive error in letting Vonn Bell get away, and replacing him with Malcolm Jenkins. Bell was the leader of the secondary, and he was excellent at getting the guys on the back end into the right positions and his leadership, physicality, and propensity for creating turnovers is sorely missed. Malcolm Jenkins is a downgrade no doubt, and the Saints dropped the ball on that move. Jenkins simply isn’t that good. He’s a declining player that is poor in coverage, nowhere near the blitzer or run supporter of Vonn Bell, and his leadership is also lacking.

The Saints secondary is full of talented players that should be playing much better and more consistently. Players across the board are out of position far too often.

In my honest opinion, I believe the Saints made a massive error in letting Vonn Bell get away, and replacing him with Malcolm Jenkins. Bell was the leader of the secondary, and he was excellent at getting the guys on the back end into the right positions and his leadership, physicality, and propensity for creating turnovers is sorely missed. Malcolm Jenkins is a downgrade no doubt, and the Saints dropped the ball on that move. Jenkins simply isn’t that good. He’s a declining player that is poor in coverage, nowhere near the blitzer or run supporter of Vonn Bell, and his leadership is also lacking.

I disagree but respect your opinion.

Except this part "propensity for creating turnovers". That was a knock on him not a positive. Unless you count recovering fumbles other people created, which I do not. Interceptions were about as bad as a safety can get.

The Saints, along with every other defense, are missing the benefit of 4 months of practice field with scrimmages and preseason games and it shows.

I have faith they will get it sorted like they have the past 3 seasons.

The offense is taking extra long to gel this season too. I'm hoping that will get sorted as well with the return of MT.

Gardner Johnson is not a cornerback. Malcolm Jenkins is not a CB. We tried to make him into a nickel CB when he was here and received mediocre results. He goes to Philly and becomes a great safety. damn our coaches.

I hope you are exactly right, but I have my doubts. A healthy Davenport would certainly help but thus far the secondary has massively underachieved. We are among the worst D’s on 3rd downs and stopping big plays, I want to believe it will get better but I want to see it get better first....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom