Saints Defense (1 Viewer)

domedawg

ALL-MADDEN TEAM
Reaction score
Saints defense is currently ranked 25th and tied for 6th in takeaways. That's all we need from them. Just keep it up.

They need to not give up 300 passing yards in the first half to bad teams. Once that happens, I'll be feeling mighty fine.

Those takeaways have come from effort more than good positioning..all are mostly fumbles. Good sign though..as they could become more dangerous as they gel and then add better talent in year 2 under Allen

They need to not give up 300 passing yards in the first half to bad teams. Once that happens, I'll be feeling mighty fine.

FWIW Kelly's system even with bad QB's has been known for putting up yards on teams. It's the route combinations combined with our Defenses propensity to play zone and either release the wrong guys or pick up the wrong guys

Won't be the first time Kelly's system gets guys wide open against Zone.. SP's offense does the same.

More concerning were the big plays given up to RB's and TE's. First time all year a TE torched us like that.

We're finally winning the turnover battle. If you look at every successful season Sean Payton has had with the Saints, they have a couple of important things in common that are always missing in the losing seasons: a punishing run game, and a winning turnover margin. However, we can't afford stupid defensive breakdowns like those busted coverages in the first half of yesterday's game. We got away with them b/c the opponent we were playing was simply a bad team all around. Time to tighten up. This defense can be at least decent if it improves communication and mental focus for 4 quarters.

I'm not sure where that 25th ranking comes from. From what I see, we are 30th in yards and points per game right now.

This is real

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interesting <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a> nugget this morning. Over past 3 games, defense allowed 55 1st half points, and just 15 in 2nd half (all field goals).</p>&mdash; John Hendrix (@JohnJHendrix) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnJHendrix/status/795617880721203200">November 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is real

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-partner="tweetdeck"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Interesting <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Saints?src=hash">#Saints</a> nugget this morning. Over past 3 games, defense allowed 55 1st half points, and just 15 in 2nd half (all field goals).</p>&mdash; John Hendrix (@JohnJHendrix) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnJHendrix/status/795617880721203200">November 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Allen is good at making adjustments. Also it hasn't been mentioned but where is Peter Giuntha at? I always wondered if we'd place a guy in the sky box to get a good look at what teams are doing from above. Granted they get still frames anyway and adjustments can be made that way but just a thought.

Allen is good at making adjustments. Also it hasn't been mentioned but where is Peter Giuntha at? I always wondered if we'd place a guy in the sky box to get a good look at what teams are doing from above. Granted they get still frames anyway and adjustments can be made that way but just a thought.

That's a good thought. Having someone up in the box could very well help Allen make in game adjustments in stead of having to wait until halftime.

Yeah the saints gave up 400 yards passing to one of the league's worst QBs along with over 5 ypc. Very leaky defense. The only reason it worked out is because this time they caused turnovers.

You can't expect to get a bunch of fumbles every week. They also went for it on 4th for no real reason instead of taking the points.

The defense was much better in the 2nd half, but if we want to actually make the playoffs this year, you can't give up 480ish yards to the league's 28th ranked offense. It will catch up with you if you keep doing that. I expect us to be better this week in the dome with Breaux and Moore having a full week of regular practice to get them back in the grove.

Oh yeah, and can someone tell Allen to just stop running so much soft zone in 1st halves. It's not working and it continually leads to giving up too many points early.

He's looking at yards per game, while you're looking at season stats.

Per game, we are 30th overall, 32 in passing, 19 in rushing, and 30 in points.

That's still an improvement over previous years. And we've looked better over the past 4 games as opposed to the first 4. Now, if we could just stop playing that loose zone coverage. I'd love to see more man coverage, now that Breaux and Moore are back.

I'm not sure where that 25th ranking comes from. From what I see, we are 30th in yards and points per game right now.

Not sure why you're getting red thumbed - you are correct.

We are only ahead of CLE and SF in both categories (though we just helped worsen SF's numbers).

SF is basically what this team would look like without Drew.

You can't expect to get a bunch of fumbles every week. They also went for it on 4th for no real reason instead of taking the points.

The defense was much better in the 2nd half, but if we want to actually make the playoffs this year, you can't give up 480ish yards to the league's 28th ranked offense. It will catch up with you if you keep doing that. I expect us to be better this week in the dome with Breaux and Moore having a full week of regular practice to get them back in the grove.

Oh yeah, and can someone tell Allen to just stop running so much soft zone in 1st halves. It's not working and it continually leads to giving up too many points early.

While I agree with the soft zones It's more on the players releasing the WR's incorrectly. He was at a bit of a dilemma against a running QB either soft zones or man/man blitz and if Kaepernick escapes the pocket suddenly you are looking at those back breaking runs because CB's have their backs to WR's

So playing zone was more about respect for Kaepernick and keeping eyes on him and its likely he and SP agreed on that scheme early. Basically contain Kaepernick at both the 1st level with a mush rush and the 2nd level with eyes on him.

Their relationship kind of reminds me of what he and 3G had early especially in the SB with 2 diff gameplans.

May be a bit easier to play man next week against the Broncos and were at home which usually lends itself to more pressure schemes.

Also FWIW the INT by Robertson appeared to be good scouting. Fake Blitz and then drop the LB into what would be the hot-route if the blitz did come. I saw it as more of a good D-Call by allen/play design than anything Robertson did individually outside of catching the ball. Just solidifies that Allen knows what he's doing to me but just needs a few better players.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom