Saints defense (1 Viewer)

Pouring over stats today. The thing that amazed me was how much our run D has improved. Getting healthy players back helped, but more than anything, I think our offensive approach is the main reason for the defensive improvement. We're not streaking down the field for 1:21 and putting our defense back out there. We're winning the time of possession. Defense spends less time on the field getting stats racked up against them and more time on the sideline staying fresh. That simple.

Actually I think the opposite. I think early in the season the Offense attempted to be all wide open and we scored a lot of points...but it didnt protect a still growing D.

We then shifted to more Ball control and went on a little streak, dropped our scoring a bit but it protected the defense masterfully.

Then i think what happened is as the D got better we didnt' adjust the offense and thus were still playing ball control and limiting our offense ability while the D was starting to play well.

I think against the Rams after 10 days off we've gone back to opening up the offense because the defense has gotten better.

Now just to fix the ST's and we can make a good run. The O is where it needs to be and the D is creating turnovers.

Meh I've been on this board too much today lol. Need to take a brain break. I guess in simple terms they are playing better complimentary ball. Which is basically what you said. Yeah..time 4 a break lol

I'm not sure how to find out where our defense ranks over the past few weeks vs the rest of the league, and our overall rankings are definitely skewed by how atrocious we started the year.

At the beginning of the season, we were all hoping for defense that ranks in the top 20 or so. We were saying that mostly we were looking for signs that we're improving on that side of the ball.

Well as of week 12 we are:

#26 in total yards allowed (only decimal points from #22 and within about 10 yards per game from #18 and 30 yards per game from being in the top 10)

#30 in points allowed per game (only decimal points from #26 and within about 3 points per game of being in the top 20)

#12 in rushing yards allowed (only decimal points from being in the top 10 and about 25 yards per game behind the league leader)

#27 in passing yards allowed (only decimal points from #25 and 10 yards per game from being in the top 20)

3 way tie for #20 in sacks (only 5 sacks from being in the top 10)

7 way tie for #18 in interceptions (only 3 interceptions from being in the top 10)

Nowhere near the embarrassment we were the past 2 seasons. Think we're heading in the right direction? :worthy:

I was looking at stats today, thanks for posting!!

Nice post, thanks for the info. Just think if we were healthy all year...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom