Saints defense.... (1 Viewer)

Outbackjack

Hall-of-Famer
Reaction score
National media has us still reeling from the game 1 blitzkreig by Tampa.....and the overall national party line that our D stinks.

Don’t look now, but we’ve held teams to under 20 in more than half of our games.

With our offense able to score 40 every night....and the D trending like this and improving weekly.....this is getting good.

I'll beg to differ. I was told by several knowledgeable and rational posters that the defense was irreparable, Dennis Allen needed to be fired, at least a third of the players were not worthy to play Tecmo Bowl on their kid's Nintendo DS, that Payton needed to be held accountable for how bad it was, and that Jeff Ireland and Micky Loomis were finished as a talent evaluation team.

And there's no way those posters overreacted. At all.

It's about turnovers too. We're starting to do that again.

I like keeping things in front of us. Make teams work for their scores, they're eventually going to make mistakes.

Last edited:
I'll beg to differ. I was told by several knowledgeable and rational posters that the defense was irreparable, Dennis Allen needed to be fired, at least a third of the players were not worthy to play Tecmo Bowl on their kid's Nintendo DS, that Payton needed to be held accountable for how bad it was, and that Jeff Ireland and Micky Loomis were finished as a talent evaluation team.

We'll also finish 9-7 too

National media has us still reeling from the game 1 blitzkreig by Tampa.....and the overall national party line that our D stinks.

Don’t look now, but we’ve held teams to under 20 in more than half of our games.

With our offense able to score 40 every night....and the D trending like this and improving weekly.....this is getting good.
Then Booger on Monday makes it a huge deal with the garbage TD by the Redskins. Well not the TD, but the play before with Hardee getting burnt saying "Still giving up the big plays" ..held them in check the whole game and the game being over. That one play happens in the 4th quarter with the game being essentially over. The guy is dumb.

Last edited:
The D line is coming on strong.
Davenport and big 92 with 2 sacks each.
Jordan with 5.
Davenport getting better each game.
Run D is doing great.
Front 7 Definetly playing great.
DBs improving.

I’ll admit that after week one I was not expecting much. They have very much surprised me. Kudos to the D. Keep it up fellas. If we can even maintain a slightly below average defense I think we can win it all with our O this year.

In fairness, though, I’m not going to blame anyone for having a bit of PTSD with our defense, given their recent history. I’m simultaneously optamistic and waiting for the other shoe to drop. I’m scarred, I tells ya.

I’m all in that the d is playing better but the qbs and offenses the last two weeks we faced are not that special. We gave up 37 against ATL, so I’m cautiously optimistic

It’s a given that we will have to win shootouts. Our defense is not good enough to stop top 10 offenses, which is okay. 2014-2016 were bad defenses because we made putrid offenses look like top 5 units.

Devil's advocate moment...

We've played 2 teams with REAL good offenses and our defense gave up a ton of points and yards (TB and ATL ). We've played 3 teams with horrible QBs (Tyrod, Eli and Capt Checkdown).

I'd say that our defense played well against sup-par offenses while good offenses made them look terrible. I do however tend to believe the defense is starting to gain momentum, but I want to see what they do against the real good offenses before they can confirm my beliefs.

Ravens
Vikings
Rams
Bengals
Eagles
Falcons

Those are our next games. There are some pretty good offenses on that list, so the defense will definitely be tested. If they can continue to stop the run, and force offenses into predictable pass downs they should be OK as long as the pass rush continues to get better.

I saw Stallworth go down. Is he OK? I think he is making an impact on our D, so hoping he's OK.

I admit that I was one of the posters for DA’s scheme the first couple of weeks and that AA shouldn’t be starting. I still stand by those comments, but I have the utmost faith in our defense bc of the talent we have on that side of the ball, and they showed me what they were capable of last year (along with the past couple of weeks).

We'll find out how much better the Defense is in the next few games. They've played pretty good up until this point but i'm not totally sold they've turned it around just yet.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom