Saints defense.... (1 Viewer)

I don't consider the Ravens an offensive challenge, their defense is the problem for us.

Ole Flacco is chucking it deep to Brown this season. Our defense better be ready and this will be a nice test to see if we really solved the deep ball issue.

Also, don’t forget that this is a Willie Snead revenge game. Though, I think PJ Williams can hold his own against him.

Ole Flacco is chucking it deep to Brown this season. Our defense better be ready and this will be a nice test to see if we really solved the deep ball issue.

Also, don’t forget that this is a Willie Snead revenge game. Though, I think PJ Williams can hold his own against him.

Love me some Snead and had completely forgotten he was there lol.

The first game defense was disappointing. Atlanta most times is a tough win. But other than that, the defense has held it own against some good offensive players, Landry in Clev., the Thompson guy in Washington and the Giants Barkley didnt do what he did to the Eagles last night. These players would have killed previous Saints defenses

I actually don't care what the national media says about our D...let them continue to parrot that our defense is terrible. As long as we keep stacking Ws and sacks, I don't care what anyone says.

I think our D looked pedestrian against two of the best offenses in football. I read where people were quick to put down the G-men and Redskins, but the Bucs and Turds are no joke on offense. I think our D is just good enough to get us a T.O. or two and maybe a stop on 3rd down half the time.

I'm trying to be optimistic with the defense. But it's not like the Giants & Redskins are offensive juggernauts.

True. However the Giants are better than people think on O

15th in Points
5th in Yards
6th in Passing
16th in Rushing

We played Eli Manning and Alex Smith the past two weeks, holding both of them below 20 points. We also held Tyrod Taylor below 20 points (in a game we would've lost if the Browns kicker had showed up). Let's not act like they just beat top teams. It's OK to still be skeptical of this defense.

The jury is still out on the defense until we start facing real offenses and QBs that aren't checkdown kings that overthrow open receivers down the field repeatedly. Alex Smith had one of the worst games of his career against us on Monday night and Eli Manning has been a shadow of his former self for 3 or 4 years now.

Let's be honest too; Washington still converted several third and long situations before the game got out of hand with our offense blowing them out the water. We weren't losing that game with Brees breaking the record. The offense was ready to annihilate them. There were still moments of concern though with the third downs, but it greatly helped that Alex Smith is a checkdown king.

Lucky for us, we get to play another bad quarterback (Flacco) before we have to face two legit offenses that scare the crap out of me; Minnesota and the Rams. We will see if the defense has truly improved if they hold Cousins and Goff off from torching them.

I hope we beat Baltimore. Last year the defense got to play a streak of mediocre QBs that helped build up their confidence before facing a real test. We are going to need that again this year, cause we get back to back games playing elite offenses, then we have to face a Bengals team who also isn't a joke with their comeback wins. After that, we face the defending champ Eagles whom may finally be turning it on with their offense clicking last night.

True. However the Giants are better than people think on O

15th in Points
5th in Yards
6th in Passing
16th in Rushing

You left out that they are 28th in scoring offense. Last night they had more yards gained than the Eagles, despite getting flattened in a blowout loss. They rack up those stats in garbage time.

You left out that they are 28th in scoring offense. Last night they had more yards gained than the Eagles, despite getting flattened in a blowout loss. They rack up those stats in garbage time.

I never said they were great, but we were more productive then Jacksonville, Houston, and Carolina against their O. I more meant the Saints deserve credit for how they played. The last couple defensive performances are more about our defensive front controlling the game then it was about the opponent

Our D looked atrocious vs the Bucs... true. And you could say the same vs the Falcons. In both games, our DBs gave up huge plays. Atlanta's points were almost completely on PJ. But still... both games were our DBs getting beat by very very strong receiving groups. Whether it was scheme or just bad play by our DBs, (or both)... we simply got destroyed.

But around the league, we've seen the same happen to teams like the Rams, Eagles, Vikings, and everybody who's played the Cheifs. We're not the only team that has games where our DBs get throttled. As sickening as it was to watch, if we don't put the ball on the ground twice, we probably beat the Bucs and we'd think about it the same way we think about the Falcons game.

"Phew... we got the win, but we need to get that coverage cleaned up or it's gonna hurt us later!"

Not making excuses for what our DBs did week 1 and week 3... but losing tends to pour gasoline on the fire. Even playing like we did week 1, we still shoulda, coulda, woulda won.

Regardless, we're on our bye here in week 6 with a 4-1 record. The next real test for our DBs will be week 8 vs the Vikings. That will tell us where our secondary really is.

I admit that I was one of the posters for DA’s scheme the first couple of weeks and that AA shouldn’t be starting. I still stand by those comments, but I have the utmost faith in our defense bc of the talent we have on that side of the ball, and they showed me what they were capable of last year (along with the past couple of weeks).
It seems as though, the last couple weeks, Monday night especially, they're running a different scheme that resembles, for lack of a better term, a somewhat prevent defense where they're more committed to playing deeper to prevent the deep plays and conceding short completions and then running up to make the tackle once they catch them, all in an effort to not give up the deep bombs. It seems to be working.

I love the "let's see how they do against the top offenses". We're suppose to shutdown the Redskins and Giants. We pretty much did.

"Let's see how we do against the likes of the Rams and Vikings" if we're going by that logic then the Rams defense is not that good cause they had trouble with the Vikings and Seahawks. Vikings D must not be good either cause they couldn't slow up the Rams or Packers.

Our D is doing what it is suppose to do against teams were suppose to beat. The way the league is now no defense is going to completely stop a good offense. For any D to have success against a top offense they have to get turnovers. Turnovers is the name of the game when 2 really good offenses go at it. No D is going to shut down a top offense.

So give this BS "let's see how they do against a top offense before we crown them" out of here!

All jokes aside.... we are about to find out if this defense is any good... In the next 6 games we play:

Flacco
Cousins
Goff
Dalton
Wentz
Ryan

This stretch is going to solidify or expose or defense.... and ultimately determine our season.

Buckle up.

We played Eli Manning and Alex Smith the past two weeks, holding both of them below 20 points. We also held Tyrod Taylor below 20 points (in a game we would've lost if the Browns kicker had showed up). Let's not act like they just beat top teams. It's OK to still be skeptical of this defense.

The jury is still out on the defense until we start facing real offenses and QBs that aren't checkdown kings that overthrow open receivers down the field repeatedly. Alex Smith had one of the worst games of his career against us on Monday night and Eli Manning has been a shadow of his former self for 3 or 4 years now.

Let's be honest too; Washington still converted several third and long situations before the game got out of hand with our offense blowing them out the water. We weren't losing that game with Brees breaking the record. The offense was ready to annihilate them. There were still moments of concern though with the third downs, but it greatly helped that Alex Smith is a checkdown king.

Lucky for us, we get to play another bad quarterback (Flacco) before we have to face two legit offenses that scare the crap out of me; Minnesota and the Rams. We will see if the defense has truly improved if they hold Cousins and Goff off from torching them.

I hope we beat Baltimore. Last year the defense got to play a streak of mediocre QBs that helped build up their confidence before facing a real test. We are going to need that again this year, cause we get back to back games playing elite offenses, then we have to face a Bengals team who also isn't a joke with their comeback wins. After that, we face the defending champ Eagles whom may finally be turning it on with their offense clicking last night.

Sums up my thoughts perfectly. By week 10 or so, we will know just how improved this D is (If at all). If I had to guess, I believe they will get lit up like a Christmas tree. I still see too many open receivers on offense.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom