Saints defensive coordinator Dennis Allen reviews 2016, looks ahead to 2017 in lengthy Q&A (1 Viewer)

Dan in Lafayette

Staff member
Administrator
Diamond VIP Contributor
Reaction score
snews.gif

By John DeShazier -- NewOrleansSaints.com

Defensively, the New Orleans Saints improved from the 2015 season to the 2016 season, allowing 375.4 yards and 28.4 points, down from 413.4 yards and 29.8 points the previous year; the run defense dropped to 101.6 yards per game allowed, from 129.4. But the overall improvement wasn’t as much as they’d hoped, and defensive coordinator Dennis Allen is looking for a bigger jump from the unit in 2017. Still, he saw some significant positives as the Saints fought through injury and growing pains last season. He sat down with NewOrleansSaints.com senior writer John DeShazier to discuss his first season as Saints defensive coordinator, and more.

JD: What did you like and dislike about your defense last season?

DA: I think we made a lot of progress, I think we got a lot better in a lot of areas. I think our run defense was better. Obviously, the pass defense was something that we still need to improve on. I hear a lot of talk about the pass rush, but there’s a lot of factors that are involved in this. Pass rush and pass coverage have to work together. We just didn’t have those things on the same page as much as we needed to, but yet, I thought there were certain times in the season where we were able to take the ball away and do some good things. There was a stretch there where we played really good red zone defense. But ultimately, with a lot of the injuries that we faced – what we perceived to be our starting lineup, I don’t know that we ever had them all together for any one game this season. So I think getting into next year, getting back and getting healthy and adding a few new pieces, I think we’ll be a much improved defense.

Full Interview -- NewOrleansSaints.com

from everything the staff is saying, it looks like mostly defense in fa and the draft.......it just depends on who they really like and who is available when the saints turn comes......i'm sure a couple of offense guys will be in the mix, but i'm going to take the coaches at their word......de cb s lb

I have always like Dennis Allen interviews. Always diplomatic but never sugar coat anything. What he said is what most people thinks. Just like players, his new coaches also need to build chemistry. He also emphasize that.

Great interview, JD's questions were knowledgeable and pertinent, not canned.

Hard to gage Dennis on an interview, because he has to be so careful about what he says. Watching his product and his reactions in a game are a better gage of what he thinks about players and situations.

One passage did bother me a little bit: (JD on practicing with the Texans)

"I love it because it kind of breaks up camp. Once you get in camp, there’s a certain point where it can become a little bit monotonous. It’s kind of like Groundhog Day, you get up and you do the same thing over and over."

Personally, I wouldn't want coaches to say that. I want coaches and players who are smart enough to see new things and bring new improvements and excitement to every practice. If you have to do things to motivate them, maybe they are not competitive enough. Yes, the schedule of the practices are probably monotonous, but looking deeply, setting and achieving goals should be exciting, not monotonous.

I like DA. I think he and his defense are on the rise.

If we have any kind of luck with team health next season, we will.easily make the playoffs. If guys start dropping like flies right off the bat, prepare yourself for more disappointment

Great interview, JD's questions were knowledgeable and pertinent,

One passage did bother me a little bit: (JD on practicing with the Texans)

"I love it because it kind of breaks up camp. Once you get in camp, there’s a certain point where it can become a little bit monotonous. It’s kind of like Groundhog Day, you get up and you do the same thing over and over."

Personally, I wouldn't want coaches to say that. I want coaches and players who are smart enough to see new things and bring new improvements and excitement to every practice. If you have to do things to motivate them, maybe they are not competitive enough. Yes, the schedule of the practices are probably monotonous, but looking deeply, setting and achieving goals should be exciting, not monotonous.

I like DA. I think he and his defense are on the rise.

With all due respect bobad I think you kinda misinterpreted what he was meaning. He was meaning going up against the same guy day after day can get a bit monotonous. Going up against another team the players see different tendicies with a different opponent than the man he has been going up against time and again. (He pretty much sums up what he's saying in the next couple paragraphs)
I do see what your saying tho, a great coach can change up the same ol same ol when things start to repeat themselves in those later practices. To me it's just human nature and I like the fact that we can gauge ourself against another team. We also here the "monotonous" lines every year during training camp from the patriots down to the browns and how it's good to switch it up.

DA imo made some very subtle but loud to me answers about what he's wanting. Of course it's just my opinion and could be reading to much into it but it seems he is fine with rankings and onyemata going into the season. His answer on fairly wasn't nearly as exciting as they were with onyemata and it sounds like the reaction he had about cornerbacks has me thinking he is fine with letting fairly walk (I want us to resign him) if we could use that money for a top talent corner this offseason. Of course it's not solely up to him but that's the vibe I'm getting from some of his answers.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom