Saints Depth & What Might Have Been?? (1 Viewer)

Dleger

Elite Dimensions
Reaction score
A GAME FOR THE AGES: In retrospect, after viewing what might have been the best game of 2019, our Saints fought tooth and nail with a very good 49ers team. The Saints have counted on the depth they've assembled all year. And yet, I wonder if Sheldon Rankins hadn't gone out in the first quarter, Marcus Davenport would have remained healthy in the 4th quarter, our starting linebackers had been available, would the outcome have been different? With all the ifs and buts, we were still there at the end where it took a field goal to snatch victory from us. If we can display the resolve we had during last Sunday's game, I still expect great things for the remainder of this season. WHO DAT!!!

A GAME FOR THE AGES: In retrospect, after viewing what might have been the best game of 2019, our Saints fought tooth and nail with a very good 49ers team. The Saints have counted on the depth they've assembled all year. And yet, I wonder if Sheldon Rankins hadn't gone out in the first quarter, Marcus Davenport would have remained healthy in the 4th quarter, our starting linebackers had been available, would the outcome have been different? With all the ifs and buts, we were still there at the end where it took a field goal to snatch victory from us. If we can display the resolve we had during last Sunday's game, I still expect great things for the remainder of this season. WHO DAT!!!
The Saints have depth! WHO DAT!

I think Shanahan had Allen over a barrel the entire game and everyone healthy wouldn't have mattered. They lost their star center and kept chugging along.

I think having Alonso and Klein absolutely would have mattered. Alonso has been a nice addition to this defense, adding quickness and instinct from the LB position. Klein is a savvy, reliable veteran. We've been getting some of the best linebacker play this season that we've seen in a while.

I think having Alonso and Klein absolutely would have mattered. Alonso has been a nice addition to this defense, adding quickness and instinct from the LB position. Klein is a savvy, reliable veteran. We've been getting some of the best linebacker play this season that we've seen in a while.
Seconded. Just posted something similar in another thread. I think with those two healthy, we'd have had a much better defensive showing and likely won the game despite losing three guys to injury during the game.

Injuries happen and we, like any other team, have to deal with those deficiencies as best we can. It does seem DA was out-schemed by Shanahan in this game given the injuries to our LB corps in particular. However, DA has been doing a great job for the most part this year. Payton made some bad (overly aggressive) decisions too, like the early 2-pt conversion, fake punt, etc. Hopefully, lessons were learned.

Regardless, if we have to play the 49ers twice this season and could only win one of the two, this was the one to lose. I'll gladly take payback in the playoffs!

Easy to outscheme a D w/a ST linebacker that can't keep up w/anyone out of the backfield. Does he play w/heart? ABSOLUTELY! Not enough in the NFL to have heart, you need the tools to succeed. He USED to have enough to motor, but no longer.
Remove a top DE, DT & 2 LB from any team(not to mention a TE that was beasting) & what do you think is gonna happen?

More attention on the defense needs to be diverted to the secondary where the true problems exist

Easy to outscheme a D w/a ST linebacker that can't keep up w/anyone out of the backfield. Does he play w/heart? ABSOLUTELY! Not enough in the NFL to have heart, you need the tools to succeed. He USED to have enough to motor, but no longer.
Remove a top DE, DT & 2 LB from any team(not to mention a TE that was beasting) & what do you think is gonna happen?

I started to elaborate a little on Robertson but didn't want to feel like I was putting blame on a player I really admire and who is so easy to pull for. Agree with you, there's no questioning his effort, but whether it was rust or something else, he looked a step behind on a number of plays.

We were missing Alonso and Klein on Sunday.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom