Saints Depth & What Might Have Been?? (1 Viewer)

It’s funny how everyone is talking about how bad our defense is when we put up that many points and yards against the #1 defense in the league. Yes, Ultimately our defense gave up a little bit more (Offensive totals were about even) but SF’s offense isn’t anemic.
Not that I’m trying to stir things up, but I can’t help but wonder how that game would’ve ended if we had made the trade for Emmanuel Sanders instead of them

I started to elaborate a little on Robertson but didn't want to feel like I was putting blame on a player I really admire and who is so easy to pull for. Agree with you, there's no questioning his effort, but whether it was rust or something else, he looked a step behind on a number of plays.

We were missing Alonso and Klein on Sunday.
This being the first time this season we've seen Robertson play linebacker for more than a couple of snaps, he definitely doesn't look like the capable backup he's been throughout his time here. I too noticed that many times he was out of position and other times when he was in position to make a play, he was a step slow. Like you, I'm in no way dogging the guy. He plays his butt off, leaves it all on the field and is still a huge asset on special teams (hence the C on his chest). He just didn't play anything close to the game that Alonso and Klein have been playing all year and it hurt more than a lot of people seem to realize. Maybe it's rust, maybe he's lost a step, maybe he had a cold. Regardless of what it was, I'm really looking forward to (read: hope) seeing FP next to Klein and Alonso's names on the injury report today.

One lesson I have learned in my life over the past 2 years is that what ifs don't mean anything, and will drive you crazy. That's mainly because we will never know what could have or would have been if certain things would have been different, or the way we would have preferred. You take what you have and do the best you can. For the 49ers game, it was almost good enough, and I still believe we can go toe to toe with any team and beat them if that defense tightens up just a little and the offense continues to perform like they have been recently.

This being the first time this season we've seen Robertson play linebacker for more than a couple of snaps, he definitely doesn't look like the capable backup he's been throughout his time here. I too noticed that many times he was out of position and other times when he was in position to make a play, he was a step slow. Like you, I'm in no way dogging the guy. He plays his butt off, leaves it all on the field and is still a huge asset on special teams (hence the C on his chest). He just didn't play anything close to the game that Alonso and Klein have been playing all year and it hurt more than a lot of people seem to realize. Maybe it's rust, maybe he's lost a step, maybe he had a cold. Regardless of what it was, I'm really looking forward to (read: hope) seeing FP next to Klein and Alonso's names on the injury report today.

Yep, I've been a huge Robertson fan, and I still am, but I did notice he looked a little slow and was almost always just a step late. I have to give him props for the interception, though. One thing about him is that he always seems to make a play somehow or another. Still, it will be very refreshing news to know that Klein and Kiko are back.

Collisions, concussions and major injuries are a part of the game. It's a violent sport.

Every team has em. You have to counter that with good depth.

A GAME FOR THE AGES: In retrospect, after viewing what might have been the best game of 2019, our Saints fought tooth and nail with a very good 49ers team. The Saints have counted on the depth they've assembled all year. And yet, I wonder if Sheldon Rankins hadn't gone out in the first quarter, Marcus Davenport would have remained healthy in the 4th quarter, our starting linebackers had been available, would the outcome have been different? With all the ifs and buts, we were still there at the end where it took a field goal to snatch victory from us. If we can display the resolve we had during last Sunday's game, I still expect great things for the remainder of this season. WHO DAT!!!
So right. Hard to have a great season injuries affect that.

It’s funny how everyone is talking about how bad our defense is when we put up that many points and yards against the #1 defense in the league. Yes, Ultimately our defense gave up a little bit more (Offensive totals were about even) but SF’s offense isn’t anemic.
Their offense isn’t anemic by a long shot. They’re easily in the top 5 I believe. I want to say I heard the announcer say they were top 3 actually. They’re a dangerous team all around. We will get them next time, I’d bet on it

A GAME FOR THE AGES: In retrospect, after viewing what might have been the best game of 2019, our Saints fought tooth and nail with a very good 49ers team. The Saints have counted on the depth they've assembled all year. And yet, I wonder if Sheldon Rankins hadn't gone out in the first quarter, Marcus Davenport would have remained healthy in the 4th quarter, our starting linebackers had been available, would the outcome have been different? With all the ifs and buts, we were still there at the end where it took a field goal to snatch victory from us. If we can display the resolve we had during last Sunday's game, I still expect great things for the remainder of this season. WHO DAT!!!

They blew it. Season over.

I think having Alonso and Klein absolutely would have mattered. Alonso has been a nice addition to this defense, adding quickness and instinct from the LB position. Klein is a savvy, reliable veteran. We've been getting some of the best linebacker play this season that we've seen in a while.

There’s absolutely no doubt it would have made a difference from the opening kickoff till the final whistle.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom