Saints Draft Class Grades from NFL Experts (1 Viewer)

Nice.
It's a lot better than I expected.

I am not a fan of draft grades generally, for many reasons. One, they grade on a curve. Everyone just about gets a C or better. It's like the underwater basket weaving class in college. Two, they go off what the player's perceived pre-draft ranking was, which is based sometimes on inaccurate or incomplete information. That's the only reason we got a good grade; we happened to take players that were "steals."

Then, there's this:
  • Kyle T. Mosley: B (I would have given the Saints an A with the first 3 draft picks)
Really? He thinks the Saints hit a home run with their first and two third rounders, but a throwaway seventh round pick drops the draft a whole letter? Just because that guy didn't get the pre-draft buzz? How ridiculous. They could have drafted me with their seventh round pick; if the other three picks were worthy of an A grade, they should still get an A grade, maybe an A- at the absolute worst.

I think anyone who bothers to come to a sports site knows by now that the draft rankings don't mean anything until at least three years after the draft.

I think it's a fun little thing to do.

What else are you going to talk about?

Don't we all judge the picks as they're happening or even with friends a little later?

It's the same thing.

I am not a fan of draft grades generally, for many reasons. One, they grade on a curve. Everyone just about gets a C or better. It's like the underwater basket weaving class in college. Two, they go off what the player's perceived pre-draft ranking was, which is based sometimes on inaccurate or incomplete information. That's the only reason we got a good grade; we happened to take players that were "steals."

Then, there's this:
  • Kyle T. Mosley: B (I would have given the Saints an A with the first 3 draft picks)
Really? He thinks the Saints hit a home run with their first and two third rounders, but a throwaway seventh round pick drops the draft a whole letter? Just because that guy didn't get the pre-draft buzz? How ridiculous. They could have drafted me with their seventh round pick; if the other three picks were worthy of an A grade, they should still get an A grade, maybe an A- at the absolute worst.
whats ur 3 cone and 40?

Mel Kiper gave us a C+ lol what a joke

Kiper's drafts lean not on player talent but on perceived team need. You could draft the next Lawrence Taylor, but if he thinks the team needed a TE, the team grade will drop. Stupid, I know. That's the other problem with grades. Not only do "experts" value players wildly differently, they also ding teams for not filling holes which we know is a stupid strategy for drafting. Need is the favorite way for analysts to do their mocks. Rarely do you see a mock based on player value.

Getting a "C" grade from SI and ESPN is a badge of honor.

Mel Kiper has absolutely no credibility. He made a name for himself 20 years ago and now is a talking head who just repeats conventional wisdom and general platitudes.

Kiper's drafts lean not on player talent but on perceived team need. You could draft the next Lawrence Taylor, but if he thinks the team needed a TE, the team grade will drop. Stupid, I know. That's the other problem with grades. Not only do "experts" value players wildly differently, they also ding teams for not filling holes which we know is a stupid strategy for drafting. Need is the favorite way for analysts to do their mocks. Rarely do you see a mock based on player value.
I was following the grades as the picks came in on CBS's site. And even though they were late round picks, the guy gave out Fs and Ds for basically any special teams picks - kickers, punters and deep snappers. Always with the explanation of "the teams has too many other needs to pick a kicker."

Always with the explanation of "the teams has too many other needs to pick a kicker."
I agree and this logic always puzzles me. The state of special teams in the NFL is an absolute mess right now — mostly because the reduced practice schedules leave coaches little time to invest in the units.

The teams that draft kickers actually have an incentive to hang on to them a little longer if they don’t have strong camps or rookie campaigns.

The teams that don’t invest in young kickers will eventually end up with Kai Forbath.

I think it’s in the NFL bylaws now.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom