Saints draft NT Johnathan Jenkins (2 Viewers)

He is a pretty strong dude, He seems to take a long time to get his stance and get his first step going. Centers and Guards get under him often and are in an advantageous position from the technical standpoint of leverage but Jenkins is just so massive and strong that it really doesn't matter. I don't know how this will translate to the NFL or if getting out of your stance faster can be improved in any sense considering how much of a load he is altogether.

Between Jenkins and Bunkley we have a couple of huge NTs who can keep each other fresh and we can also use Hicks there on passing downs to provide pressure up the middle. One of the reasons the Dome Patrol was so dominant is that we had such a good D'line. I think people tend to forget that.

When we took Jenkins, I thought of you because I know how much you like him and credit him as being integral to the production/success Jarvis Jones/Alec Ogletree had for UGA.

Yeah we probably couldn't take him in the 1st no matter what because the nature of our defense will keep him off the field some downs. But in the third it's just perfect. He gives us a nice change up in short yardage and run situations, a guy who will be even more stout than Bunkley and can let Bunkley (who is on the wrong side of 30) rest. It also,I believe, will for sure move Hicks over to the Coleman/Smith spot, which gives Hicks a better chance of seeing the field and may mean Will Smith may not make it out of camp.

It's interesting how the traditional 2-gap tackles slide so bad. it's not that anyone was taken ahead of Jenkins that wasn't expected, but Hankins went in the 2nd. Jesse Williams is still on the board.

Even more broadly, look at how Floyd slide. Only 4 DTs total even went in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

I think we need to reevaluate how NFL teams value DTs, especially traditional ones. I blame it on the increasing shift to nickel and 3-4 lineups.

John Jenkins = John Sullivan (Both from UGA)

Bad Pick IMO:aargh:

What I don't understand is why NBA teams don't just take players from North Carolina. I mean, Jordan went there, so every NBA player from Jordan should be the greatest player of all time.

Stupid Teams IMO :aargh:

Everyone realizes that "inconsistent motor" is the default weakness for every large DT in every draft report ever right?

It's not physically possible to maintain the highest level of effort on every single play as an interior lineman. If you watch enough plays you'll see every one of them "taking a play off."

Gotta realize that these are very large men slamming their bodies against other very large men. That takes a LOT out of you, even if you're a the Mountain That Wears Cleats like Jenkins.

You take a play off here and there just to catch your breath.

Yes indeed. It'll open up things for Jordan and hicks also, it'll trickle down throughout the whole d. I love the pick.

Helps the pass rusher too...Galette and Butler coming off the edge opposite Hicks who will command double teams at times...we are going to be stout up front with Hicks (DE) Jenkins (NT) Jordan (DE) up front with Galette and Butler as the rush linebackers and the rangy speedy Wilson as the SAM.

Yes its a passing league, and Jenkins may be only a 2 down player. But just look at the RBs we have to go against in our own division, let alone the rest of our schedule this year. So I felt we needed more size and depth up front at NT and had us takin Brandon Williams in the 3rd rd. Jenkins is more of a traditional 2 gap NT. He's big and strong, but he has really good quickness for a guy his size. If the Saints can keep his weight low and his motor high, I think we got a really good player who can come in and contribute immediately as a rook! :9:

conditioning is something that can be improved,that and strenght. getting qb pressure from a pat williams type player probably won't happen,but clogging up the middle on run plays definately could.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom