Saints Saints Draft Re-cap... Player Reviews and Fits (1 Viewer)

Khalil Mack is the same way. 5 pounds heavier than Baun

The thing is... every player is different... even if they have the same height, weight, speed, strength, etc... Its what’s between their ears and what’s in their hearts that differentiates them.
There have been plenty of RBs that have been 5’10, 200lbs, but there was only one Walter Payton.

The thing is... every player is different... even if they have the same height, weight, speed, strength, etc... Its what’s between their ears and what’s in their hearts that differentiates them.
There have been plenty of RBs that have been 5’10, 200lbs, but there was only one Walter Payton.

Oh yea I know. I was just touching on the narrative that Baun in a tweener. I don’t remember anyone saying that about Miller or Mack.

Now if Baun was 220 or so like Deone Buchanan, I could understand it. But the dude is 240 pounds. That’s not a tweener

Did I not say "few" exceptions?

But, either way, the Saints don't appear to be going to use him as a standup DE full time....again, the key is can he be effective at the SAM role....

They gave up quite a bit, a 6th round pick, really...plus we get get a comp 6th next year
I am speaking from a fan perspective. They gave a 6th round pick for a player that would have gone undrafted anyway. However from listening to what the coaches were thinking, they had heard he was going to sign with another team if left undrafted. They had to secured him. Also they have a "vision" for him. I don't hate the pick. But it was my least favorite base on value. I know it is just a 6th rounder and it doesn't seem like much. But I am just basing on value. But like I said before....If the coaches really want a player, and they have to wheel and deal for him, then I have no problem with it.

Did I not say "few" exceptions?

But, either way, the Saints don't appear to be going to use him as a standup DE full time....again, the key is can he be effective at the SAM role....

When Sean Payton was discussing the Baun pick on a post draft interview... the first position he mentioned regarding Baun was MIKE

Now if Baun was 220 or so like Deone Buchanan, I could understand it. But the dude is 240 pounds. That’s not a tweener

Again at standup DE that is the definition of tweener....at SAM that is close to ideal size, question is can he play at SAM....the coaching staff clearly thinks so....

When Sean Payton was discussing the Baun pick on a post draft interview... the first position he mentioned regarding Baun was MIKE

I've seen speculation all over the place about where he is going to play. In a traditional SAM or MIKE role he has ideal size, maybe they try him in both and make a determination....but for the role he played in college (stand up DE) he is on the small side, very much so....

Not really a fan of the Steven picks. But the coaches have a vision for him and gave up quite a bit. I know it is just a 6th but they had that fear of losing him in free agent that they had to make that trade.

I don't think he pans out, he was a prospect and the Saints took a flier on him but I don't anticipate him being anything more than that 7th round pick the Saints took a flier on in 2020.

I don't think he pans out, he was a prospect and the Saints took a flier on him but I don't anticipate him being anything more than that 7th round pick the Saints took a flier on in 2020.

Well, the fact there won’t be any rookie minicamp, OTA’s, and at least a modified training camp won’t help his cause... that’s for sure.

Tommy Stevens is really a faster, more athletic, version of Jason Vander Laan.

Vander Laan was a reserve TE for the Saints last season, and stuck on the roster before landing on IR. He even got some playing time at TE/H-Back/FB... I see the same vision for Stevens...

Vander Laan was a college QB as well during his playing days at Ferris State.
what was Stevens' times at the combine?

Of all the things that I have been impressed by when it comes to Demario Davis, his blitzing ability (and having just enough pass rush savvy to beat a RB on pass pro) has been just the icing on the cake for such an amazing FA pickup.

Now they've added a true, stand up LB who has legit DE pass rush development to that position group, and have 3/4 guys with serious pass rush ability in front of them. It's just a fantastic mix. I mean the even and odd fronts that you can run with this roster look fantastic. Heck, how about one where DD, Baun, and Davenport all stand up while Rankins, Jordan, and Onyemata play an odd front. Who's coming, and from where? I mean, of your 3 down linemen, even Rankins somewhat has the ability to drop into a zone there and add to the confusion for the offense.

There are a ton of guys coming into the league who are "ok" blitzers (not pass rushers, its a bit different, IMHO) but are 100% linebackers. And there are a lot of guys, like Kikaha, who are college DE's who can rush the passer, but even though their size may say NFL LB, that's just not what they are (they are the tweeners to me). But, to have a guy who seemingly can do both, what an advantage. The last guy I remember (and I'm sure there have been a few more that I don't) who was a true LB in college, but played DE on 3rd downs and learned legitimate pass rush moves what Donta Hightower while he was at Bama. Injuries to the other pass rushers on the roster, and Hightower's size/liability in coverage led to him staying on the field all three downs, but only the first two as the MILB. 3rd downs he dropped down to the WDE and was quite good at generating pressure. Hightower's versatility has been a big reason for the Pat's flexibility and success on defense, I believe.

I love this pick and everywhere I've seen had Baun as a top 30 prospect. I only hope that there isn't another "shoe to drop" that explains why he was available in the 3rd.

Mack and Miller are considered OLB in a 3-4. They are edge players but in a 3-4 they typically play lighter guys.

Shaquil Barrett
T.J. Watt

These are lighter edge players because they are LBs in a 3-4.

Traditionally in a 4-3 the edge will be a DE. Jordan, Davenport and Hendrickson are 265+ for example.

At 240lbs Baun is 20-25lbs light for a 4-3 edge player at DE. He's a bit light for a 3-4 edge player at OLB also, just not by much.

Last edited:
Of all the things that I have been impressed by when it comes to Demario Davis, his blitzing ability (and having just enough pass rush savvy to beat a RB on pass pro) has been just the icing on the cake for such an amazing FA pickup.

Now they've added a true, stand up LB who has legit DE pass rush development to that position group, and have 3/4 guys with serious pass rush ability in front of them. It's just a fantastic mix. I mean the even and odd fronts that you can run with this roster look fantastic. Heck, how about one where DD, Baun, and Davenport all stand up while Rankins, Jordan, and Onyemata play an odd front. Who's coming, and from where? I mean, of your 3 down linemen, even Rankins somewhat has the ability to drop into a zone there and add to the confusion for the offense.

There are a ton of guys coming into the league who are "ok" blitzers (not pass rushers, its a bit different, IMHO) but are 100% linebackers. And there are a lot of guys, like Kikaha, who are college DE's who can rush the passer, but even though their size may say NFL LB, that's just not what they are (they are the tweeners to me). But, to have a guy who seemingly can do both, what an advantage. The last guy I remember (and I'm sure there have been a few more that I don't) who was a true LB in college, but played DE on 3rd downs and learned legitimate pass rush moves what Donta Hightower while he was at Bama. Injuries to the other pass rushers on the roster, and Hightower's size/liability in coverage led to him staying on the field all three downs, but only the first two as the MILB. 3rd downs he dropped down to the WDE and was quite good at generating pressure. Hightower's versatility has been a big reason for the Pat's flexibility and success on defense, I believe.

I love this pick and everywhere I've seen had Baun as a top 30 prospect. I only hope that there isn't another "shoe to drop" that explains why he was available in the 3rd.
Good post

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom