NFL Draft Saints drafting D-Line?? (1 Viewer)

DL or CB is looking like pick at 28th.

I think the true value of this particular DL & EDGE class is at a premium where we’re drafting at 28. There’s a lot of DL talent, but none are bonafide undeniable top 5, 10, or even 15 prospects.

I think their value begins in the late teens, 20s & 30s. As good as guys like Nixon, Onwuzurike, Mcneil, Barmore, Rousseau, Tryon etc. are, the 20s is prob where they’ll start coming off the board. RD 2, in particular, is going to be loaded w/DL prospects. Lots of hybrid EDGE/LB types will come into play at the back end of the 2nd & early 3rd.

I personally think it’s a bit of a tell that the FO is aware of the value of the class & that we’ll conceivably be drafting a DL w/one of our two Day 2 picks.

Cam Jordan is aging and falling off, Sheldon Rankins is likely gone as an UFA... T-Rex is about to get PAID (by someone else)... Malcolm Brown is a possible cap casualty... Davenport has both feet in the “bust” pool... and the rest of the DL (outside of Onyemata) are UDFA’s.

The Saints need more than Onyemata, an overpriced and underperforming Cam Jordan, and an inconsistent and injury-prone Davenport moving forward.

At this point... D-line is a huge need. I think a value vet FA and a round 1 or 2 DL pick is practically a necessity

DL or CB is looking like pick at 28th.
What about LB? Weakest position group on the team after Davis. That necessitated the trade for Kwon Alexander. When Kwon was in the game, the defense improved significantly. It allowed Davis to just follow his instincts and make plays. I am hoping for an every down LB with the #1 pick.

What about LB? Weakest position group on the team after Davis. That necessitated the trade for Kwon Alexander. When Kwon was in the game, the defense improved significantly. It allowed Davis to just follow his instincts and make plays. I am hoping for an every down LB with the #1 pick.
I think that group is too top heavy and a complete crap shot for the board to shake out in our favor. At worst, we can probably get a top 15 player on our board with DL or CB. Saints under Ireland really settle for what they consider to be safe picks more often than not.

Drafting a guy like GA DL/LB Azeez Ojulari would address both the EDGE & LB positions. Not saying he’s Von Miller, but in terms of size, build, & play style, Ojulari 100% projects as that exact type of player.

We have to start addressing that position in the draft. Cam Jordan is amazing. But he's also amazingly expensive and will likely start to level off in production as he gets up in there in age. You've got to plan ahead.

Exactly this. We haven't had to worry about the D line that much the past few years. This has been a strength of the team with starting caliber players 2 deep across the board. But things could get dicey this offseason.

Cam Jordan is the best DE I've seen with the Saints and it's not really close. He's been productive, consistent, and he never misses a game. Like literally. He's never missed a game. But 10 years and 160 games, that's a lot of wear and tear. That's a lot of mileage. And we're not talking highway miles like a WR or Corner. We're talking city miles. So how much longer can he keep up his production and how much longer can his body hold up? You just don't see Iron Men playing defensive line.

I agree, but historically we are horrendous at drafting LB's.
We need a true stud on a rookie deal, but we have never been able to draft well at this position.
I'd rather do what works for us and pick up another low-profile, but good player and re-sign Kwon to a cheap deal/extension.

Actually LB and TE are my two targets for FA if we have any coin to throw around.

DL and CB are definite needs in the draft department and wouldn't mind seeing another WR drafted at some point.

I remember the days of loving draft time. Like ouuu we're getting a shiny new toy that's going to be a certified game changer NFL STAR. Nowadays I hate it for the Saints and love it for the other teams. I used to fool myself into believing all our early picks were super "smart" so I could feel better...yeah ok

Not anymore. Nowadays I tend to cower in a corner somewhere during our first 2 days of the draft, then proceed to exit stage left with my head and shoulders slumped over after hearing our picks...and to no avail without fail, its never anyone remotely close to ANYONE that ANY of US thought and or wanted. Not even close. So now I watch it for the other 31 teams. That way, I can actually enjoy it. Especially for our division foes. I just love watching other teams that hits with their picks and drafts what turns out to be real stars. Like, how in the hell does Deandre Hopkins and Deshaun Watson end up on the same team? I love the Saints like no other, I'm a lifer, inked for life on both arms, one of the tatts before our Superbowl. Used to be upset and hoarse till Wed or Thursday after losses, especially after spending an unnecessary 300$ or more every home game when I was a ticket holder. I ain't going nowhere. Love em'. But bruh, we literally have the most blah/meh drafts.

This post isn't for anyone to try and convince me how good our drafts have been. Dont need it. However, I did hit with Lattimore, knew who Mahommes was but was also leaning toward Malik Hooker, who's not only available, but has better tracking, tackling and ball skills than Marcus Williams. Drafting Reggie Bush was our excitement pinnacle. I'm so sorry great posters like NOFALCONS10 who put in work to post content to the masses of could be's and or should be picks that makes sense. Only to be let down yet again for another Olineman or another Dlineman that's just whatever and not a game changer. I know I know, we have Ram and Armstead, like you think I don't know?

I guess I'm trying to say when the draft rolls around, really no need to get excited and you should probably lower your expectations, especially if you're planning on being excited about a pick. People have been downplaying this draft for whatever reason, maybe its the covid season, don't be fooled, there is an abundance of talent in this draft @ multiple positions of need. If a need of yours hasn't hit and we miss with said needs, whats the big deal with actually drafting a WANT! Ya know, like everybody WANTS this or that guy, fans and coaches alike. Whats wrong with actually drafting a want? We always need something! Lber, Cb, Wr, FS, Dt, DE, SS, RB etc...

Can we actually hit on a star thats a gamechanger, someone that the masses know and believe he will be. Or @ least think he will be. Like actually draft a want, a want that 20 other teams want. Even if you are @ 28. I don't care what no one says about the amount of luck we've seemingly had on the OL, we've missed a lot, more than some are willing to admit.

Can we actually hit on a star thats a gamechanger, someone that the masses know and believe he will be. Or @ least think he will be. Like actually draft a want, a want that 20 other teams want. Even if you are @ 28. I don't care what no one says about the amount of luck we've seemingly had on the OL, we've missed a lot, more than some are willing to admit.

They have hit on plenty of stars but I understand what you're saying. They don't draft name brand players that this board has talked about every day for three months. They don't draft Taco Charlton. They don't draft Chase Claypool, Lequan Treadwell, Tyus Bowser, or Rueben Foster.

If you want a LBer like Jarvis Jones you're going to get a Safety like Kenny Vaccaro. You want Eric Kendricks, boom, Stephone Anthony. Oh look, Laremy Tunsil is falling! Boom, Sheldon Rankins. You want Leighton Vander Esch? Okay we'll trade up to get boom, Marcus Davenport.

Defensive line and specifically a defensive end. If they go DT it needs to be a bigger player that can play either position but not a three technique guy.

I believe what the saints need more than any other position in this draft is Linebacker #1.
However we just saw it again that in the trenches is where games are won, and DEFENCE WINS CHAMPIONSHIPS.

Defensive Line happens to be the deepest part of this years draft where experts claim that defensive line talent goes
into the 3rd round for top notch defensive line talent.

So we should grab our stud Lineback Zavien Collins, Tulsa, 6'4", 250 pounds of defensive IQ, dominating talent, and speed.
Zaven Collins will be a better pro than Demario Davis in my opinion.

We can get our Defensive line talent in the second round.

We have never been very good at selecting Linebackers, but Zaven Collins could change that.

Oh yeah, Jamies Winston will stay here with the SAINTS. This is his best chance for greatness. He knows it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom