Saints excited for Sheldon Rankins debut (1 Viewer)

ELLIASJWILLIAMS

More than 15K posts served!
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
It's OK to get excited now:worthy::worthy::worthy: Definitely like how he's self-aware and tones down the Aaron Donald comparisons himself. Tapp also gives a hint that they'll likely use him in Pass-rush situations exclusively.

"He's probably the best defensive line rookie I've ever seen, like up close, in person," said Saints defensive end Darryl Tapp, an 11-year veteran.

Previously, Tapp said his former teammate Brandon Graham of the Philadelphia Eagles — the 13th pick in 2010 — held that title, but Rankins is "way more technically sound."

"He could easily be mistaken for a third- or fourth-year vet — easy," Tapp said.

Now healthy, it's up to Rankins to transfer his ability to NFL games, and there's plenty of optimism in the locker room he'll soon be an impressive contributor. Saints offensive linemen have given him similar looks to what he'll see in a game, and Zach Strief and Tim Lelito said he's been thriving in practice.

"He's basically picked up right where he left off," Lelito said.

"Watch film and watch Netflix," he said. "That's pretty much my life."

When the injury first happened, though, Rankins had to deal with the emotional pitfalls.

"I had my brief moment of obviously being sad and things like that, but (stuff) happens," he said. "I had to deal with it, I had to rehab and I had to get back out there."

Rankins' impressive offseason was part of the reason his teammates were so upset he suffered his injury in training camp. On a goal-line play, Rankins fell to the ground and immediately needed an air cast before taking a cart off the field.

"Instantly, I was like, 'This sucks,'" Tapp said.

Saints excited for Sheldon Rankins' debut after disappointing injury | NOLA.com

giphy.gif

The guy Darryl Tapp previously gave the title to as most impressive rookie has 7 more pressures than any other 4-3 end in the NFL this year in addition to being PFF's #1 rated edge defender. FYI.

I think he will show flashes of brilliance early on and why he was selected where he was.

Can't wait to see SR in action!

The guy Darryl Tapp previously gave the title to as most impressive rookie has 7 more pressures than any other 4-3 end in the NFL this year in addition to being PFF's #1 rated edge defender. FYI.

Am I reading this correct sir? Tapp has more pressures and is the #1 rated edge defender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Am I reading this correct sir? Tapp has more pressures and is the #1 rated edge defender?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No. Brandon Graham is. He's the guy Tapp previously said was the most impressive rookie defensive lineman he had seen up close.

I would love to have a camera at everyone's viewing parties tomorrow when Rankins notches his first sack.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom