Saints expected to interview Aaron Glenn for HC (2 Viewers)

The biggest negative I can find with the whole idea of hiring someone familiar like Glenn who will keep our staff in tact...is the reality that next season (presumably) when Payton resumes coaching, he'll pick our current staff clean anyway. Might not be the wrong idea to start fresh.

I put him with the likes of Dan Campbell. Good coordinators and mentors but doesn't seem to fit as a good head coach candidates.
What do you know about Glenn that prevents him from being a viable HC candidate?

What do you know about Glenn that prevents him from being a viable HC candidate?
Number one his level of success hasn't been anything to write home to mom about. Our secondary improved dramatically the very year he left under Richard. His defense in Detroit was bottom of the league. I get you are on the Glenn bandwagon Mamba, but I am going to reverse the question. What have you seen that leads you to believe he would be a good HC candidate for the Saints outside of "he is familiar with the team"? We have coaches here now who are familiar with the team and have had better success. Unless there is some crazy leadership quality we are missing, it's a hard sell. I am not dogging the guy he is a candidate for the job, but no way is he the hire

She’s THE OWNER of the team and she knew enough to tell him to think over it on vacation. She has a great poker face
SO? That doesn't mean she knew what his decision was. Maybe she found out just before the coaches did, but she clearly did not know what he was going to do when she was asked. This is a really strange hill for you to choose to die on.

The biggest negative I can find with the whole idea of hiring someone familiar like Glenn who will keep our staff in tact...is the reality that next season (presumably) when Payton resumes coaching, he'll pick our current staff clean anyway. Might not be the wrong idea to start fresh.

If Glenn is hired, I see no way that DA stays. I can't imagine a DA being willing to stay after losing the HC job to a guy that used to be his DB coach.

Number one his level of success hasn't been anything to write home to mom about. Our secondary improved dramatically the very year he left under Richard. His defense in Detroit was bottom of the league. I get you are on the Glenn bandwagon Mamba, but I am going to reverse the question. What have you seen that leads you to believe he would be a good HC candidate for the Saints outside of "he is familiar with the team"? We have coaches here now who are familiar with the team and have had better success. Unless there is some crazy leadership quality we are missing, it's a hard sell. I am not dogging the guy he is a candidate for the job, but no way is he the hire
I'm not necessarily on the Glenn bandwagon. If the plan is to attempt to keep our current staff in tact, a familiar face like Glenn is definitely worth considering. And yet, as I pointed out in my previous post, I'm not sure we shouldn't just start fresh (knowing that eventually Payton will return to coaching and take some of our current staff with him).

As to your concerns regarding his coaching ability, he's only coordinated a defense this past year. And I don't think one year is a fair enough sample size. Not to mention he inherited a largely inept defensive roster in Detroit. Also, our pass defense was ranked #5 in 2020 (under Glenn) and then dropped to #14 this year (under Richard). For whatever that's worth.

But aside from all that. We wouldn't necessarily need him to be the X's & O's guru. We mainly need overall team leadership. Could Glenn fill that role? I don't know enough about him to answer that question, nor, it appears, do you. We'll see, perhaps.

But again, I'm not necessarily advocating for hiring Glenn. I think I'm actually slightly leaning against the whole "keep everything in tact" philosophy.

If Glenn is hired, I see no way that DA stays. I can't imagine a DA being willing to stay after losing the HC job to a guy that used to be his DB coach.
I kinda agree. But in that case, promoting Nielson may be a good option.

Read my post above for a response to the question in your other post.

SO? That doesn't mean she knew what his decision was. Maybe she found out just before the coaches did, but she clearly did not know what he was going to do when she was asked. This is a really strange hill for you to choose to die on.
😆 who said that’s what I’m doing? I’m over it. Good crap, some of you get your panties in a twist over fan forum discussion.

I'm not necessarily on the Glenn bandwagon. If the plan is to attempt to keep our current staff in tact, a familiar face like Glenn is definitely worth considering. And yet, as I pointed out in my previous post, I'm not sure we shouldn't just start fresh (knowing that eventually Payton will return to coaching and take some of our current staff with him).

As to your concerns regarding his coaching ability, he's only coordinated a defense this past year. And I don't think one year is a fair enough sample size. Not to mention he inherited a largely inept defensive roster in Detroit. Also, our pass defense was ranked #5 in 2020 (under Glenn) and then dropped to #14 this year (under Richard). For whatever that's worth.

But aside from all that. We wouldn't necessarily need him to be the X's & O's guru. We mainly need overall team leadership. Could Glenn fill that role? I don't know enough about him to answer that question, nor, it appears, do you. We'll see, perhaps.

But again, I'm not necessarily advocating for hiring Glenn. I think I'm actually slightly leaning against the whole "keep everything in tact" philosophy.
Yeah man again I don't think he is the hire, if he is I will eat all the crow needed, but hardly anyone believes he will be for a reason. We aren't picking on the guy he just doesn't appear to be qualified to lead the team. I am not going to pretend to know him on a personal basis, none of us do, I was going by his recent results in the league which do weigh very heavy no matter how you slice the pie.

Having said that, we appear to be on the same page as far as "just trying to keep things intact" may not be the best course of action. I am leaning that way as well but more on the offensive side than defense. I would like to keep DA, Nielsen and Richard those are very talented coaches. I think we need a fresh approach completely on offense

As Lions defensive coordinator, Glenn oversaw a unit that finished 29th in the NFL in total defense and 31st in points allowed, but was widely considered to have overachieved

how does one type that with a straight face. They were expected to be 3 spots back in total D and one spot back in points? Overachieved you say.

To think I was preparing to be disappointed in us taking a lineman in the draft and now I need to get ready for a coach whose main selling point will be continuity and keeping the gang together. I'm not excited about Allen or Glenn (who I think is just a Rooney interview).

Aaron checks the box. Announcing the request to interview Byron, while he is negotiating a contract in Jacksonville, makes it not look bad. Dennis will be announced in short order.

Really wish we conducted a search to identify the best coach. Hope DA well but this feels short sighted.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom