Saints expected to interview Aaron Glenn for HC (1 Viewer)

Pass defense allowed 27, 22, 30, 27, 28 touchdowns in Glenn's five seasons.

The pass defense allowed 20 touchdowns under Richard, in a seventeen game regular season.

That is a substantial improvement.
I mean, we can certainly waste a lot of time cherry-picking stats. While we gave up less passing TDs under Richard, the passing defense also increased in total passing yards allowed, yards per attempt, and opponent's completion percentage.

I think my larger point is simply that when Aaron Glenn began his tenure here, he inherited a pass defense that was perennially either #31 or #32 in the league. And under his tutelage it became one of the better units in the league (ranked #5 when he left). Richard seems to have picked up right where he left off.

But this revisionist assumption that Glenn did a poor job here (which was the origin of this discussion) is completely baseless and flatly incorrect.

Last edited:
I mean, we can certainly waste a lot of time cherry-picking stats. While we gave up less passing TDs under Richard, the passing defense also increased in total passing yards allowed, yards per attempt, and opponent's completion percentage.

I think my larger point is simply that when Aaron Glenn began his tenure here, he inherited a pass defense that was perennially either #31 or #32 in the league. And under his tutelage it became one of the better units in the league (ranked #5 when he left). Richard seems to have picked up right where he left off.

But this revisionist assumption that Glenn did a poor job here (which was the origin of this discussion) is completely baseless and flatly incorrect.

Cherry picking stats? Passing TDs is cherry picking a stat? šŸ˜‚

Also to add on, I don't think Glenn did a bad job here. However I do not understand any of the belief he could be a good HC when his resume is rather weak. The Saints are in my opinion too good of a team right now to be settling for a total unknown roll of the dice.

No position coach was given more draft capital than AG, 1st 2nd, and 3rd round players. They even waved a very good safety in Von Bell to bring in a "coach on the field" to help AG coach. He lost me, when Aaron Glenn insisted that De'Vante Harris start at CB, because they were all from TX A&M. He killed that 2016 season.

He got burnt for TDs in the first 3 games of the season till they cut him. AG said he earned it in camp BS. Every high draft pick we had, would regress after their 1st yr here.

No position coach was given more draft capital than AG, 1st 2nd, and 3rd round players. They even waved a very good safety in Von Bell to bring in a "coach on the field" to help AG coach. He lost me, when Aaron Glenn insisted that De'Vante Harris start at CB, because they were all from TX A&M. He killed that 2016 season.

He got burnt for TDs in the first 3 games of the season till they cut him. AG said he earned it in camp BS. Every high draft pick we had, would regress after their 1st yr here.
I honestly don't know but I was listening to Nick's pod and he heard AG had a good interview. He's been consistently saying Dennis is the favorite but Glenn knows our culture so he could be the guy if they don't go with Allen. I'm in the camp that thinks the secondary looks better with KR but who knows. I still don't think DA or AG helps us on offense and I would prefer some fresh ideas on that side of the ball.

Yeah butā€¦ King Roger just released a statement saying that the lack of African-American HCā€™s is ā€œunacceptableā€.

Theyā€™re trying to force teams to hire these coaches, even if theyā€™re not the best man for the jobā€¦ itā€™s an over correction.

This increases the chances for Flores or Glennā€¦ regardless of whether they are the most qualified or ready.
How the heck is 0 for 6 and still only one black coach an over correction? I mean, I'm not defending the NFL, but you're calling over-correction when nothing of the sort has happened yet. Goodell is late with his proclamations as usual.

And fwiw, I'm not really excited about Glenn possibly being picked, but I wouldn't be mad either.

Also to add on, I don't think Glenn did a bad job here. However I do not understand any of the belief he could be a good HC when his resume is rather weak. The Saints are in my opinion too good of a team right now to be settling for a total unknown roll of the dice.
I would just say that some people make better head coaches than position coaches. It really depends on what his strengths are, and I think that would be made clear in his interview. It's why sometimes position coaches move up in the ranks very quickly.

I'm not opposed to going with Glenn. I personally would go with Allen or Bienimy before him, but Glenn knows our team and culture about as well as anybody. He's certainly no pushover and I wouldn't call him a token interview at all.

If itā€™s the only stat you are using, and all other significant stats are being ignored, then yes, thatā€™s sorta the definition of cherry-picking.

Last edited:
Yeah butā€¦ King Roger just released a statement saying that the lack of African-American HCā€™s is ā€œunacceptableā€.

Theyā€™re trying to force teams to hire these coaches, even if theyā€™re not the best man for the jobā€¦ itā€™s an over correction.

This increases the chances for Flores or Glennā€¦ regardless of whether they are the most qualified or ready.
You really don't want to talk about qualifications given the head coaching record of the guy everyone says is the favorite. Flores is a superior candidate to DA on any day although I doubt they will hire him after the suit. Roger has been complaining for years and owners don't care. I would take EB over Glenn but apparently his not eligible as well.

I would just say that some people make better head coaches than position coaches. It really depends on what his strengths are, and I think that would be made clear in his interview. It's why sometimes position coaches move up in the ranks very quickly.

I'm not opposed to going with Glenn. I personally would go with Allen or Bienimy before him, but Glenn knows our team and culture about as well as anybody. He's certainly no pushover and I wouldn't call him a token interview at all.
Tomlin was a DB coach and I think McVay was a QB coach. Some guys have"it' but I'm just as confused as anyone else with the Glenn thing.

Tomlin was a DB coach and I think McVay was a QB coach. Some guys have"it' but I'm just as confused as anyone else with the Glenn thing.
Well, from what I understand, he's a well-regarded coach throughout the league, and I've never heard of a player talking bad about him, so it wouldn't surprise me that there's more to him than what us fans know. I mean, I dunno. I'll just say I trust Loomis. I don't think he'd hire someone whom he wasn't confident in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom